Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:23:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689773
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gripping Beast Plastic Arab Timeline  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Dalcor

• Librarian
    • Wargaming ASP Club
Gripping Beast Plastic Arab Timeline
« on: September 25, 2018, 06:40:26 PM »
Hello, I am prefering plastic for creating armies for my wargaming. We are just discussing how to enlarge our Outremer armies to Lion Rampant and I am looking for GB Arab Cavalry and Infantry Models.

I understand there is mix of several ethnic groups within the model, and I am looking for good review reflecting that or if anybody can recommend the timeline for using thise kits - generaly speaking, are they OK for Mamluk State of Egypt - my bro is thinking about Crusade to Alessandria :-D

Offline plessiez

• Assistant
Re: Gripping Beast Plastic Arab Timeline
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 09:31:56 AM »
I'm also interested in this if anyone is able to help as I was looking to pick them up too. I understand the box is better suited to the earlier period of the crusades? This period is quite far out of my area of expertise.

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 02:43:42 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't have a problem using the GB cavalry for Umayyids to Ottomans (both Arabs & Turks). You could also use Fireforge Russian heads for a more renaissance style. I am not the biggest fan of the infantry. I doubt they wore long robes in battle. If they did wear them I think most would be pulled up like later Ottoman azabs. If you like the Arab infantry, I think it's also fair to use them for the same period as the cavalry.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 02:48:04 PM by delbruck »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 06:59:12 PM »
It's been a few years since I built a medieval Muslim force but my impression was that the "Arab Heavy Cavalry"
box was better suited to an earlier time frame, basically the dark ages up to the 12th whereas the "Arab Light Cavalry" box set- which shows a lot of Seljuk Turk influence- could be stretched later. Not sure about the infantry; the robed figures wearing a litham strike me as quite North African so would probably be suitable as standard infantry during the Mamluk Sultanate.

Just my understanding based on quite superficial research.