Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:08:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686618
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Having a family member sculpted as a miniature. Yes or No?  (Read 3791 times)

Online tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Having a family member sculpted as a miniature. Yes or No?
« on: September 25, 2018, 10:00:29 PM »
I do quite regularly offer to sculpt a miniature of someone for free this then gets added to a range. The whole thing is done on the QT. Occasionally that person is quite open about the finished sculpt. Others enjoy the anonymity .

For the last two major projects I've asked thirty people per projects if the they'd like to participate.
I've just today finished sending out the offers for the next project.

The results are almost identical for all three projects( not everyone has responded from the third project at the time of writing but it appears very similar to the first two).

Literally half have said yes. The rest come in at 20% straight up no thank you.(which is absolutely fine not an issue) and 30% No - uncomfortable about the idea.(again totally understand)
(The take up rate is considerably higher than the similar ww1 vehicle offer a few years back. Which required considerably more imput.So I can't use that as a benchmark.)

As I've had very similar results for three projects over two years.I was wondering. Does this reflect the veiws of the forum members?

(Please note if you have said No thank you. This thread isn't intended as dig.(( Nor should you feel the need to qualify you decision.))Only as a means of gauging the viability of futrue cunning plans of an idiot.)

Mark.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Having a family member sculpted as a miniature. Yes or No?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 10:39:37 PM »
I think allowing them to pose fully clothed would probably increase the acceptance rate. :)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Online tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 10:52:20 PM »
 So ... Your saying not like one of my French girls.  :`

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 06:56:33 AM »
They're just not entirely sure about your peeping in on grandma through the bathroom window being "for research purposes only", is all. lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 07:48:43 AM »
I'd love to be sculpted, but not warts and all. I definitely require a little Vaseline on the lens, so to speak.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Online tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 08:58:50 AM »
Paul
I assure you (as a retired nurse)I don't require the level of personal information. That would involve  lubrication nor would you be asked to cough. :D

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 09:16:17 AM »
I wouldn't say no, but I don't feel to be interesting enough to be sculpted at all...

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 09:19:03 AM »
It is a surprising statistic to me how many decline. I cannot think of any reason that I would NOT want a little miniature of myself out there in the world. I suppose that is why I had 7 kids....
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 10:29:52 AM »
I had a sculpt of me done in the TAG Tudor range and am absurdly proud of little me to the extent that the master and a painted version done by Roy Duffy get shown regularly to people who don’t know the level of craftsmanship that exists in this hobby.   Now if only I could finish the rest of the army  lol

The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 05:06:04 PM »
I too would love to have a 'mini-me' on the table, even though (some years ago)
while doing a head swap on a figure I dropped the head & couldn't find it. I made a
simple (bald) head out of Miliput. During the next game it attracted FAR MORE missiles
than was fair! Every-one later said, 'Well it was your personality figure'
May-be I am not as liked as I think I am.

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 07:05:37 PM »
I think it would be an honour to be sculpted as miniature.
To be honest I don't know why anyone would not want to be immortalised.

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 07:44:34 PM »
Being as photogenic as the arse end of a caravan site I've got no desire to see myself in miniature  (or make a sculptor suffer to make it) but I was inordinately proud when Kev Adams named a gobbo after me 8)

Offline soldado

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 08:33:23 PM »
Dags, dont worry when you look as bad as I do, you can still get models made... GW took my picture and used it as the basis for a nurgling!

Offline pancakeonions

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 08:40:19 PM »
It is a surprising statistic to me how many decline. I cannot think of any reason that I would NOT want a little miniature of myself out there in the world. I suppose that is why I had 7 kids....

Haha!  My kids are so annoyed at me when I tell them to dress up like a cleric and a rogue and go stand on my dwarven forge dungeon set up while I roll for monsters and treasure.  No respect!

I'd love to be sculpted.  That is kinda weird how many said no.  I assume this would entail sending in a photo, and that you'd work from that?  They don't have to come model for you (clothes or not) in person, do they?  Spending a few hours/days modeling would certainly be a disincentive...!

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 10:36:29 PM »
I find it quite an attractive idea. In fact I'd like to have one 'me' for every ambientation I play! (just one head to swap on different minis won't do, I'll need the whole set :D) At some point I wanted to do that with my regular playing group, so we all could have our own miniature version in a PA setting. Unfortunately it was far beyond my skills and never got to do it, but I find the whole concept pretty amusing.