Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:18:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Boneio's Misc Fantasy - Reaper Minis & AA cockatrice on page 3  (Read 7088 times)

Offline boneio

• Scientist
Boneio's Misc Fantasy - Reaper Minis & AA cockatrice on page 3
« on: September 26, 2018, 12:40:26 PM »
I've been hanging around here for quite some time now, so thought it was time to give something back/seek some external validation to prop up my self-esteem (delete as appropriate depending how cynical you are).

I'm both a slow painter and at best an average one so don't expect anything like the quality or frequency of many posters on here whose work serves as inspiration for many of us - but I hope to at least show some interesting things.

We'll start with an old plague cart, intended for skirmish or dragon rampant games. I didn't know this model existed until this year, and it was love at first sight. I have another waiting to be painted up. It was surprisingly tricky to assemble as the wheels don't fit at all snugly onto the axles (might be how I disassembled and stripped it, to be fair), and the weight of the corpse pile doesn't help. I had to (badly) pin the second cart hence it not yet being painted.

The basing is my first attempt at a 'wet' look using Mod Podge. I textured the base with milliput, painted it, then layered mod podge in the suitable looking areas. This'd probably be more effective with better planning and better skills (the wheel trails don't really work as intended to the point they might not even be noticeable).

Was a quick and enjoyable thing to paint though and for once I didn't worry too much about trying too hard, I just bashed it out so I can enjoy looking at it and occasionally playing with it (said the vicar).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 03:22:07 PM by boneio »

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: Boneio's Misc Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 05:01:22 PM »
That is a great model,good to see it with the original undead ox, a lot of them have a skeleton horse instead. You have done it nicely.
I think the wet look base is probably a bit too much, a surface that muddy would be all over the wheels of the cart and the legs of the beast (unless you are going with an ethereal idea like the old Warhammer undead cavalry) .
Maybe save some areas of it as is and sparsely glue static grass over the rest?

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 08:58:37 PM »
Welcome! I like this piece and the model is a classic. I hope to see more of your work soon!

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 10:31:11 PM »
Thanks both  :)
Robh that is a good point re the base. It wasn't I intended to look quite so muddy but now I'm torn between attempting to muddy the wheels and beast, or de-mud the base!

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 11:55:49 AM »
I shouldn't post too often as I will easily outstrip my painting rate, but I have a few lined up so on to the next.

A ral partha (DSA) female zombie, to represent a slightly-deceased character of mine from a friend's D&D campaign.

Offline djbii

• Librarian
  • The Goblin King
    • HotT 'n' Stuff
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 09:15:13 PM »
I have the cart as well. I like your bleached bone colours and it would be a shame to muddy it up :-)
A life spent making mistakes is not only honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.” –  George Bernard Shaw

https://hottnstuff.blogspot.com/ (was http://hitlh.blogspot.com.au/)

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 04:14:34 PM »
A reaper bones spider!

Not much to say about this apart from it was quick (very quick for me!) to paint up, and fun too.

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 04:44:10 PM »
Like your brushwork very much. The spider is really cool.

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 05:20:44 PM »
Thanks for sharing. I think the spider is top notch!

Your other work could benefit from simple washes and highlighting. For the bony figures, drybrushing after a wash chould bring easy & instant success. You really should try it out. :)

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 01:19:31 PM »
Thanks both :)

I do highlight and wash, though perhaps I'm not being brave enough with contrast. Although I like quite a muted look on purpose.

My process for the bones is roughly:
Bleached bone (or similar) base colour
Wash with black
Highlight up with ivory or white, potentially with a mix of bleached bone as mid-highlights if I can be bothered. I've been painting bones this way for a long long time so although others have better recipes, I am happy with mine as it means consistency!

I think the photos from my phone aren't doing the models justice - which is not to say they're great attempts, just that I think there's more contrast in person than is coming out in the pics.

---

A new addition below. Ral Partha 'female assassin'. I'm pretty pleased with the skin considering it's very rare for me to paint it, and I feel like I'm getting better with each model.

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 01:03:34 AM »
The assassin looks great. I like the pale, muted look.

I believe she is Metal Magic, rather than Ral Partha, though:

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Image:MetalMagic-C1054a.jpg

A nice figure that I have wanted, and Johnny Laukk of  Mega Miniatures had the rights to the molds until he folded up shop. Not sure who has it now.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 07:51:50 AM »
Great stuff. I love that first plague cart mini, I also have it with the ox in one piece too (I 3d printed a yoke for the ox though) Looking forward to seeing more OOP goodness!

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 01:08:27 PM »
Thanks both!

Appreciate the tip on the origin of the mini. Still available from RPE: http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/fantasy-warband-rpg-minis-28mm-c-181/characters-c-181_133/gz202-female-assassin-p-3075.html

Interesting to see it's a Werner Klocke. I love that sharing on this forum results in an education  :D

Beefcake - most of the things I paint are (or will be...) still in production, albeit as we see here in many cases not with the original rights holders! I do have a substantial number of OOP GW models to get around to. Perhaps over the years I can grow this thread to the amazing proportions shown by some of the long-standing posters here.

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 12:57:54 AM »
I love that sharing on this forum results in an education  :D

Amen. Your posting of the RPE info made me look closer at the Lost Minis Wiki entry, and evidently she is still in production n this side of the pond from Turnkey Miniatures. I've been wanting to get some of their villagers, so this is a fortuitous discovery! I thinnk she is a bit smaller tan contemporary 28mm, so hopefully she scales well with my true 25's.

http://www.turnkeyminiatures.com/Female-Assassin_p_53.html

Interesting the rights to this figure are held concurrently by two different companies, but I guess the geographic realities allow for that.

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2019, 11:57:51 AM »
A resin mini from Black Scorpion. This was just smashed out with contrast paint in one evening which is very rapid for me. It's a great mini and an OK-at-best paint job but at arms length on the board I'm perfectly happy with it for time invested!