Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:27:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690828
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Model Railway Challenge on Channel 5 in the UK  (Read 5552 times)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Model Railway Challenge on Channel 5 in the UK
« on: September 27, 2018, 09:04:39 PM »
Starting next Friday - 5th October on Channel 5 in the UK

1 of 6 - Challenge series in which teams of the UK's most talented railway modellers compete in a series of knockout heats to create the best miniature masterpieces against the clock.

Not quite sure what it will be like, but there could be some interesting scenery ideas on display

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
Re: Model Railway Challenge on Channel 5 in the UK
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 09:13:40 PM »
Wow , really interesting !

We don't have such TV show in France  :?

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 01:05:18 AM »
That definitely wouldn’t be a show in Canada either. Too bad.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 04:20:39 AM »
All we get are bloody home renovation or cooking shows, dating competitions and inbred people hunting animals.

Wouldn't mind a bit of train action.
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 05:13:44 AM »
Nice find, I will be tuning into this! :)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 08:18:00 AM »
Not quite sure what it will be like

Bad probably but not because of the competitors  :?
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 08:53:16 AM »
I will try to see this but I am more interested in "Why does everyone hate the English" it starts next week with Al Murray, looks fun.
That is presuming I can get a shot of the telly in between Big brother and Bake off and strictly :'( :'( :'(

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 01:34:52 PM »
All we get are bloody home renovation or cooking shows, dating competitions and inbred people hunting animals.

Wouldn't mind a bit of train action.

We get a lot of the first three, along with "talent" shows, but no hunting. My TV is on less and less these days, so finding anything to watch makes a welcome change

I just hope they focus on the modelling and not on the personalities involved, although that's probably too much to hope for

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 02:57:00 PM »
We gave up owning a TV years ago.
So I can only hope this would be accessible online :D

Offline MartinD

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 10:18:07 AM »
Last time I watched Channel 5 they were broadcasting a 45 minute long show that was (literally) a compilation of Youtube 'Fail' clips.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 10:56:51 AM »
Last time I watched Channel 5 they were broadcasting a 45 minute long show that was (literally) a compilation of Youtube 'Fail' clips.

lol I have to admit, but I actually like those.

On Youtube.

Because  our TV decoder/receiver broke down like 3 months ago, and nobody in the house seems to have missed it. it was only after we decided on hiring a babysitter, when we came to the conclusion that we should probably get that fixed, so the girl can watch TV.

And then we realized that a 14 year old girl will probably not watch much tv, but will probalby be sitting, playing around on her phone instead.

But back to our regular programming... ::)

I would actually watch this for the subject matter, but the entire competition thing is a huge turn off for me.

It usually involves some (almost) expert member of a jury, who has to play the bad ass and critisize and verbally demolish everything they see, one semi-celebrity with a passing interest or history with the subjectmatter, so they're there for their name and the occasional encouraging remark only, and the host, who usually has no clue about the subject matter, but can play the good to the 1st jurymember's bad cop.

And then the contestants are required to compete in often assinine competitions, with limited means, adn even less time to do a proper job, so the jury can go to town on the results. Which is the main source of entertainment (or so producers seem to think), because apparently we all love to see somebody else being verbally torn to shreds in front of an audience.

Oh, and then the contestants are of course often thrown into a house or room together, and encouraged to create some animosity between themselves, because that too makes for better ratings. Because we apparently also love to see conflict, even if it is badly acted.

the worst thing is, this formula is being applied to subjects that are not at all suitable for it, and I could not think of one that is less sutable than model train tracks and scenery.

Unless they timelapse entire weeks, there is only very little they can show of an actual build. It's not like baking a cake or doing a tattoo, which can all be done in a matter of hours (mostly).

So the tension and competition will probably come from very limited, on the spot challenges, which will not yield the excellent results we might see from builders having all the time in the world.

But all that aside, I would still watch it (if BBC5 was available here (and my receiver was fixed)), if only because I love seeing anything even remotely related to our hobby. It does not receive much mainstream exposure, so anything helps.

And to counter my arguments above, against the formulaic 'Next Top/Master ..." programs, I should state that this mainly concerns American shows; if there is anyone who might do right to the subject matter, it would be the BBC.

so who knows? It might even be worth watching... ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 11:02:17 AM »
Thank you for the heads-up. I'll try to catch these.

Tony

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 01:05:27 PM »
Sadly, it's not the BBC, but Channel 5, home of Big Brother and its variants and a lot of voyeur on the wall type shows.

Not that BBC is innocent in this regard, and the race to the bottom on a Saturday night among the channels is deeply annoying, to the point where I don't even look at the tv listings anymore.

Much of that annoyance is just me being a curmudgen, as I realise that I'm less and less the target audience for things these days :(

Still, I am cautiously optimistic, although I suspect @Daethor's assessment of the presenters will be all too accurate.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 01:37:55 PM »
There’s an enormous amount of good TV about to my mind, Killing Eve and Mock the Week spring to mind.  There’s also an awful lot I don’t like and the descriptions above fit most of that.  So I don’t watch it  lol

I’ll have to miss the model railway one at first, hopefully the reviews here will give me an idea if it’s worth catching up with.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 08:03:56 PM »
In France, on RMC (Radio Monte Carlo, but it's a TV channel too) we have on Saturday night the good old Columbo , and i like him :)

And sometime on France 3 , the Sunday we have the good old ( or young) Morse, and i like him too  ;)