Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:47:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Saga Sassanids  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Wulko

• Assistant
Saga Sassanids
« on: September 28, 2018, 12:11:13 PM »
Hi!
Does anybody have any experience playing Saga with the Sassanids? I know that they dont have an official battle board but are there any fan made boards around? Or have you tried using one of the existing boards?

Thanks!

Andrew_McGuire

Re: Saga Sassanids
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 06:44:47 PM »
What about using the Byzantine battleboard?

In which case, may I ask, why play with Sassanids, particularly against one of their main historical opponents (Byzantines)? In addition, some provision for elephants would presumably need to be made (and I'm not alluding to large buckets and shovels).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 07:02:03 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 07:16:15 PM »
Fair enough. I admit I haven't played the game, so my thoughts may be readily discounted. As for the elephants, as they were one of the distinctive features of Sassanid armies, and at least one area in which they differed from Byzantines, I would have thought the option should be available, at any rate. The term skirmish is, in any case, very fluid, and in the case of Saga, it's certainly not on a one model = one man / beast level, at least not exclusively so.

Of course, as I have already admitted, my opinions may be so much pachyderm poo, so feel free to treat them as such.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 03:22:24 AM »
Hi!
Does anybody have any experience playing Saga with the Sassanids? I know that they dont have an official battle board but are there any fan made boards around? Or have you tried using one of the existing boards?

Thanks!
I have been desperate to collect some 28mm Sassanids, specifically Aventine's range, and I thought Saga might be the reason. The problem is, none of the battle boards really suit them. I imagine their board would be a combo of abilities that would benefit cataphract cavalry (Hearthguard) and horse archers (Warriors) and the option to field one unit of Warriors on foot with bows (archery being considered an important skill in Persia. I think possibly the closest board would be the Hun board from the A&A book.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 07:09:14 AM »
Because they fought in a similar style - with lots of cavalry?
You can have vikings fighting vikings, so why not Byzantines fighting 'Byzantines'?
Maybe that's a way to think of Sassanids - Byzantines in different uniforms?
Maybe.

As for elephants. In a skirmish? You sure!?

Hmmm...a bit of tailoring reality to fit the rules? That's part of what discredited WRG!
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.