Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:20:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690587
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Using magnets to hold terrain boards together  (Read 1560 times)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Using magnets to hold terrain boards together
« on: September 28, 2018, 04:37:26 PM »
Anybody have good instructions or links to explain the process of using magnets to hold modular terrain tiles together?

I have been playing around with some plastic boards I want to magnetise as the original tension clips are weakening and hit a problem with the +/- polarity. Tiles that join one way refuse to do so turned around.
Just wondering what I need to obtain and how they should be fitted.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
Re: Using magnets to hold terrain boards together
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 05:06:49 PM »
If I recall the Sally 4th instructions correctly, they recommend getting the polarity consistent before assembly by marking the + side with a felt tip pen.

Of course if you’ve already installed them randomly then my advice is merely cruel  :)
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 06:47:20 PM »
Of course if you’ve already installed them randomly then my advice is merely cruel  :)

No, I realised I didn't really understand the principle of what I was doing so only sellotaped  magnets to a few boards to test.
My knowledge is pretty much limited to: Magnets attract opposites and repel alikes.
So a + on one board attracts to a - on the next. Works fine, but turning that board around to a different arrangement brings it next to another + and now it won't attract.

I will take a look at Sally4th.  ??? ??? ???

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 10:35:17 PM »
Easy.   On magnet on one corner of a side, and a recessed,washer on other side.   Thus every board is secured by a magnet to washer, washer to magnet bond.   Good magnets will lock tight against washers.
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 08:33:20 AM »
I was about to suggest the same thing. Don't place magnet to magnet (where you will have polarity problems), instead place magnet to metal. A recessed washer will work great.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 10:49:58 AM »
Simple.

1. Put TWO magnets on each side of the board.
2. place the board horizontally in front of you.
3. On the face in front of you towards the left install a magnet with + towards you.
4. On the face in front of you towards the right install a magnet with - towards you.
5. rotate the board 90 degrees clockwise
6. go back to 3.
7. when all four sides are done get a new board and go back to 2.

Assuming that you accurately install each magnet the same distance from the bottom edge of the board and the same distance from the corner of the board then no matter which way you turn them or tesselate them the boards will snap togather.

Note this only works for square boards that are the same size... different arrangements will work to allow you to have half sized boards, mixed in or say hexagonal boards.

For those suggesting magnets to washers - that only works if you still have the correct arrangement along each side... otherwise when you rotate a board you may end up with magnet-magnet connections or washer- washer connections. The arrangement of washers/magnets on the side still needs to be correct - and thats the bit you haven't explained.

Admittedly magnet to washers IS half the expense as it uses half the washers, but also half the gripping power... all depends on how strong /expensive your magnets are...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 10:53:30 AM by Brandlin »

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 10:58:35 AM »
Brilliant, that makes sense now.
Thanks guys

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 12:41:39 PM »
Brandlins suggestion is what I intend to do. I can confirm that a strong neodymium magnet is best for this purpose N45 works well and can be easily separated.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 01:16:22 PM »
1. Put TWO magnets on each side of the board.
3. On the face in front of you towards the left install a magnet with + towards you.
4. On the face in front of you towards the right install a magnet with - towards you.

Exactly this :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!