Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:06:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690815
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Diversion in an African Imagi-Nation  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Diversion in an African Imagi-Nation
« on: September 28, 2018, 07:37:27 PM »
Background to Zimbotho and introducing Queen Hilda The First:

More here:

https://velodoug.wordpress.com/

Doug
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 03:31:53 PM by Doug em4 »

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Diversion in an African Imagination
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 05:09:15 PM »
Great write up about Zimbotho.
Sounds like you are in for lots of fun. lol
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 10:41:39 AM »
Great write up about Zimbotho.
Sounds like you are in for lots of fun. lol

Thanks, Marine. I’m an average painter and don’t get to play that often so, for me, the story is a big part of it.

Doug

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 11:22:05 AM »
Superb! Great back story, I love all the various forces. Those camo-motorbikers look great. At first I wondered whether Queen Hilda had in an earlier life been Hilda Rumpole ('She Who Must Be Obeyed') and wife to Horace but it appears she is of nobler stock, being distantly related to the famous Sir Gilbert Hill himself!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 12:07:36 PM »
Great background to the characters and setting. Should be fun reading as the adventures develop.
Where does the Queen Hilda figure come from?

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 03:30:56 PM »
Superb! Great back story, I love all the various forces. Those camo-motorbikers look great. At first I wondered whether Queen Hilda had in an earlier life been Hilda Rumpole ('She Who Must Be Obeyed') and wife to Horace but it appears she is of nobler stock, being distantly related to the famous Sir Gilbert Hill himself!

Thank you Snapcase old fruit - much appreciated. One important correct to your observations. I must point out the Queen Hilda is definitely not related to the late Sir Gilbert Hill, who is, of course famous for his activities in the Civil War following the Abdication in the thirties:https://velodoug.wordpress.com/2014/02/08/about-the-volunteers-their-background-and-composition/
Queen Hilda is a distant relative of Sir Gilbert’s nephew, Ronald “Ronnie” Bigsworth-Hill:
https://velodoug.wordpress.com/2014/02/08/dramatic-despatch-from-the-other-side-of-the-hill-battle-of-camrose/
through the Bigsworth line. Ronnie, a sprightly nonagenarian, is now Lord Bigsworth-Hill of Manningford Bohune and sits in the Lords in the Conservative interest. A very successful businessman in post-civil war years, his scrap-metal empire has depots throughout the country, mainly built on green-field sites. He is completely unaware of his connection to Queen Hilda; equally she is also unaware of the connection.

Great background to the characters and setting. Should be fun reading as the adventures develop.
Where does the Queen Hilda figure come from?

Rob - she is an old Grenadier UK Fantasy Warriors Amazon general, sculpted by Bob Naismith. Actually, I’m looking for a couple of figures to represent her in battledress and civies. Any ideas anyone?

Doug

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: Diversion in an African Imagi-Nation
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 08:11:04 PM »
Thank you Snapcase old fruit - much appreciated. One important correct to your observations. I must point out the Queen Hilda is definitely not related to the late Sir Gilbert Hill

I stand corrected. Of course if I had considered the time-line I would not have made this egregious error.   ;)

Keep up the good work old bean!

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Diversion in an African Imagi-Nation
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 10:55:13 PM »
I stand corrected. Of course if I had considered the time-line I would not have made this egregious error.   ;)

Keep up the good work old bean!

Easy mistake to make, Old Sport but it’s not the timeline that’s at issue - it’s the blood line. Do pay attention.

Pip, pip....

Doug

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 08:34:09 AM »
Thank you Snapcase old fruit - much appreciated. One important correct to your observations. I must point out the Queen Hilda is definitely not related to the late Sir Gilbert Hill, who is, of course famous for his activities in the Civil War following the Abdication in the thirties:https://velodoug.wordpress.com/2014/02/08/about-the-volunteers-their-background-and-composition/
Queen Hilda is a distant relative of Sir Gilbert’s nephew, Ronald “Ronnie” Bigsworth-Hill:
https://velodoug.wordpress.com/2014/02/08/dramatic-despatch-from-the-other-side-of-the-hill-battle-of-camrose/
through the Bigsworth line. Ronnie, a sprightly nonagenarian, is now Lord Bigsworth-Hill of Manningford Bohune and sits in the Lords in the Conservative interest. A very successful businessman in post-civil war years, his scrap-metal empire has depots throughout the country, mainly built on green-field sites. He is completely unaware of his connection to Queen Hilda; equally she is also unaware of the connection.

Rob - she is an old Grenadier UK Fantasy Warriors Amazon general, sculpted by Bob Naismith. Actually, I’m looking for a couple of figures to represent her in battledress and civies. Any ideas anyone?

Doug
Ronnie has come a long way since his narrow escape at the Battle of Robleston Hall! :)
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 11:29:35 AM »
Ronnie has come a long way since his narrow escape at the Battle of Robleston Hall! :)

Yes indeed - he made many useful contacts during the civil war and put them to good effect in later life. These days he concentrates on his many charitable activities. Funnily enough, his Robleston Hall adventures don’t appear on his internet profile and his Wikipedia entry has had items removed in accordance with EU law. Strange.

Doug

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 10:43:18 PM »
Rob - she is an old Grenadier UK Fantasy Warriors Amazon general, sculpted by Bob Naismith.

Thanks Doug, she is on my list to pick up.