Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:11:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689757
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Minis for Chainmail Bikini and Broadsword Adventures  (Read 6309 times)

Offline cwchmc

• Scientist
Minis for Chainmail Bikini and Broadsword Adventures
« on: March 01, 2007, 06:33:57 PM »
Since Howard has released the rough draft of Chainmail Bikini and I know Rich is getting Broadsword Adventures ready, I've been thinking about minis for these games. I have a few random figs that will work well but of course I will need more. :mrgreen:
So far i've been looking at Reaper, Darksword, Crunch Waffle. also I will take a look at Foundry Historicals for some usable figs. Does anyone have any other manufacturers that have good figures for this genre?

Edit: i should probably add that I plan to do mostly REH-esque games with these rules. So I'm mainly looking for humans and a few weird monster types. No ogres, trolls, elves, etc.

Chuck

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 06:40:03 PM »
We'll have quite a few of our own released at the end of the year. All very Conan-esque. I may even do a boxed set version of Broadsword Adventures: Savage Tales of Fantasy with two small starter forces.

:o
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline cwchmc

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 07:21:06 PM »
i remember seeing that with the announcement about the Shaolin Monks. Are there any pics of these figs available? I don't remember seeing them before. They were previously offered by Iron Mammoth?
The box set will be great. I hope it works out.

Chuck

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 09:53:31 PM »
Boxed sets. The man's got boxed sets --- (grumble grumble  :x )

Me, I have the discount 'everything's a dollar' box at the comic store ----  :(

Rich, I swear you'll be bigger than GW in ten years time. And you'll still be a great guy --

I'm usuing a pretty wide variety of stuff. A lot of Reaper, who are strong on barbarians of both genders, sorcerers who don't look like Gandalf impersonators, and some nice monsters. Em4 sell Mark Copplestone's splendid old Grenadier barbarians. Heresy have a few nice barbarians, and some terrific monsters.

Sword and Sorcery is essentially human-oriented, often in a universe where nations that have oddly different levels of technology live side by side. I especially like using bronze age historicals - especially things like Sea peoples, Mycenaeans and Libyans -  since they actually appear quite bizarre by most people's sense of what-to-wear.
I do all my own stunts

Offline zbyshko

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 11:22:35 PM »
as a preface, while Conan-esque or RHL-inspired, i get the impression - that is my mind's eye sees the games as a old serial or low-budget movie production - i.e. an iguana with plastic horns or a gecko with a fake sail fin for dragons and/or dinosaurs; Atlantean palace guards in Greco-Roman uniforms, etc.  if that is not the case, i apologize, but that is what influenced my reference for figures below.

and now...

how about selections of Black Orc Games' Hundred Kingdoms?  i say selection since some of them are..."off"  and some are "on": their Great Gor (huge Gorilla) i use for Kong/Mighty Joe  - though the sculptor did the huge ape for Reaper as well [edit Jason Wiebe].  but one of two of the Dino's and Insect "men" may work.  and a few of the other intelligent simians.  just an idea there.

i had also been looking at West Winds webpage and perusing the Lucifer Wars stuph - some Demons look interesting - crawled off a cover of a Conan novel sort of way.

and perhaps some of the Celtos stuph - whomever owns the rights to that this week.  i have a druid type from them i use as an Apothocary for a Norse Blood Bowl team - or for something other than Celtos anyway.

how many other folks buy fiigures for multiple uses - i mean for real and not just to convince the loving wife of the "value" of the purchase?

enjoy

ralph
\"I drank WHAT!?!\" - Socrates

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead for the Lead Mountain!
    • http://www.loresdelsith.net
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 07:40:15 AM »
Quote from: "Operator5"
We'll have quite a few of our own released at the end of the year. All very Conan-esque. I may even do a boxed set version of Broadsword Adventures: Savage Tales of Fantasy with two small starter forces.

:o

Rich... You are going to lead (pun, pun) me to bankrupcy...  

:lol:  :lol:

Can I inform of that in our e-zine??
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
Keyan Sark - Coordinador de SithNET
SithNET - http://www.loresdelsith.net
TT - http://talisman.foro.st
http://displacedminiatures.com/keyansark
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 11:24:47 AM »
Quote from: "KeyanSark"
Rich... You are going to lead (pun, pun) me to bankrupcy...  

:lol:  :lol:

Can I inform of that in our e-zine??

--->My goal is to sominate the world by getting ALL it's money.  :mrgreen:

And absolutely you can post it to the e-zine. Figures won't be out until later in the year, but it's no secret that I have them.  8)

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 11:40:22 AM »
If there is one kind of figures, you shouldn't have problems finding some, then it's ordinary "fantasy" humans.
Alone Ral Partha have probably produced more than you can ever paint!
And then Grenadier and Harlequin... and all the wonderfull small new companies like Hasslefree or Heresy...
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead for the Lead Mountain!
    • http://www.loresdelsith.net
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 12:18:34 PM »
Quote from: "Operator5"
--->My goal is to sominate the world by getting ALL it's money.  :mrgreen:

So... You are the guy under the Jade Hood, aren't you??

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 06:26:41 PM »
Nice figures available from

http://www.orcsnest.com/miniaturespage.asp?maker=Orcs%20Nest%20Miniatures

and sculpted by someone I know very well!

David
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 07:26:49 PM »
The Mirliton and Companion examples that Phil gave are Copplestone's Grenadier barbarians, which EM4 also sell (although, alas, not all of them).
I think there may be some issues of ownership rights involved, but I don't know the details. Or, I could have got that part wrong.

I'd love some of the barbarians mounted on tigers but, alas, between a weak US dollar and the shipping costs, they tempt me but my wallet remains shut.

I've suggested to Mark C that he redo the barbarians as his own line, as he did with Future Wars, but he's indicated a reticence to revisit old work. Maybe we can all prod him along -- H

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 08:47:01 PM »
Quote from: "Howard Whitehouse"
I've suggested to Mark C that he redo the barbarians as his own line, as he did with Future Wars, but he's indicated a reticence to revisit old work. Maybe we can all prod him along -- H

Yes this would be good, was a little disappointed to find that the superb Barbarian Queen was only a one off. Lets get prodding.