Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:31:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690330
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1/300 scale Coastal Warfare game from Warlord "Cruel Seas"  (Read 25314 times)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 1/300 scale Coastal Warfare game from Warlord "Cruel Seas"
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2018, 03:34:47 PM »
My hat off to Warlord, starting with today's newsletter they're doing weekly articles about the period and how the game works etc. Precisely what I said they didn't do enough of in the Blood Red Skies thread. Looking forward to seeing how it works. It's been a passion project for John Stallard apparently, and generally something done with passion is done well!

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2018, 08:10:29 PM »

Warlord has posted an intro. Not much detail but there is one picture of 2 pages from the rulebook that tells a lot:

http://www.warlordgames.com/cruel-seas-an-introduction-to-small-ship-action/

One die per ship. Pull die from bag and assign to ship. Move, fire, resolve damage.

Track ship damage by percentage. Looks like area for special damage to Engine, Bridge, Rudder, Crew and Fire.

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2018, 03:14:02 AM »

Track ship damage by percentage. Looks like area for special damage to Engine, Bridge, Rudder, Crew and Fire.

Looks like just hull points.  As you take damage, move the marker at the top.  When you go off the end, move the marker at the bottom to the next ten.

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2018, 12:34:35 PM »
My question is if I buy just the rules, will I be able to get the ship cards? Will they be printed in the back of the book? Or available separately?

Chuck

Offline Rhubarb633

• Assistant
    • My Blog - Two Rounds Rapid (Toast, tea and table-top wargaming)
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2018, 10:11:03 AM »
I like the look of it. Nice models, the opportunity to build some coastal scenery, and an evocative, swashbuckling, cinematic setting. Can even add 1/300 scale figures to the mix.
It’s also innovative, and there’s something to be said for that in a hobby which - as far as the ‘historical’ side goes anyway - usually involves endless rehashing of the same periods and ranges of figures.
It’s just a game with toys. Ranges, move distances and so on in tabletop wargames are never remotely realistic. Almost nothing about tabletop wargaming is realistic. It’s all purely representational - one giant set of compromises between reality and suspension of disbelief, in order to get a fun, visually pleasing game with models onto a tabletop.
I can’t get hung up about ‘unrealistic’ gunfire ranges between boats  :)
Unless you play on a huge table with near microscopic toys, gunnery ranges are never going to be to scale. Playing wargames on domestic tables using models that are big enough to see, model, paint and enjoy, means accepting the compromise- nothing about relative distance is realistic.

Spot on! My sentiments entirely.

Just hoping the rules are up to the job.

The only slight disappointment for me so far is that the models look quite 'static'. These are fast craft, right. I want to see my Vospers surging forward, bows raised, not floating like ducks on a pond. I don't think it would have been too difficult to have made the models a bit more 'bows-up'. That said, they do look nice.
"I was hoping for a battle of wits, but you appear to be unarmed"

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2018, 11:20:02 PM »
Maybe a stupid question, maybe not (as I simply can't see it listed, but I blame my glasses then).....does the book cover the entire war or is it focussed on a specific year? As the boats got very upgunned with the war progressing.
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2018, 12:41:45 AM »
I don't think it's stated but as the models they're releasing represent different stages in the evolution of the S-boats & MTBs it's likely that they will cover a significant part of the war.
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2018, 10:07:08 PM »
Damage video has been posted:

Roll # of d6s for gun(s). Add total. Deduct from ship's Hull Points.

There wasn't any dice for MGs or small weapons, so maybe just 20mm and larger?

Or maybe not until in point blank range?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 01:51:16 PM by Schogun »

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2018, 01:51:03 PM »
The December Wargames Illustrated with Cruel Seas sprue arrived at my local store yesterday so I bought a copy with the German S-Boats. The models are indeed beautiful. However, the sprue comes with 5 guns, one for each of 5 holes in the two models. So no extras. It's early, I know, but I hope Warlord sells a weapons sprue by itself.

Nice models though. Very tempting. Still deciding...

Chuck

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2018, 02:51:08 PM »
3 painting videos now:

How to paint German Ships:

How to paint British Ships:

How to paint Extra Details:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:13:43 PM by Schogun »

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2018, 10:40:35 AM »
I just collected all the available info about the game on my blog. So if you want to have a look:
https://wargamesgazette.com/2018/12/11/cruel-seas/
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2018, 03:06:16 PM »
Got the game in the post today !!! will have a good read of the rules tonight.

Offline digid

• Bookworm
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2018, 04:19:54 AM »
We played this for the 1st time tonight. 2 games in fact. 4 players just to learn the rules. We all had a absolute blast. It has just the right amount of rules to strategy without getting bogged down. After the 1st turn everyone picked it up and we only had to reference the book for odd situations. I will be ordering a copy for myself. All agreed it is a keeper.

Dale

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2018, 10:34:44 AM »
Had a quick read of the rules last night. I must say that I rather like what I read! Basic rules only take up something like 12 pages. So you can start the first game quite quickly indeed.
One thing is that submarines are only represented as surfaced. If you want to represent sub chasing you will have to ad house rules. That shouldn't be to difficult as depth charges are represented.

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2018, 05:26:03 PM »
Hopefully the tokens will be available separately so that those of us with masses of 1/600 can use the rules and don't have to fiddle around making loads of markers. And no I'm not going to just use tiddly winks instead, they look naff..