Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:22:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: England Invaded, Episode 1, Romney Marsh  (Read 4112 times)

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
England Invaded, Episode 1, Romney Marsh
« on: May 26, 2009, 04:04:26 PM »
This past weekend was the big event after much planning and preparation. Despite all my attempts to stay on top of things I was still doing far too much at the eleventh hour. many thanks to Alfrik for all his help. His herculean efforts will be made more apparent in future reports regarding the more urban battles.

I found Valor, Steel & Flesh a very fun game to play and run. Very easy to teach to new players. Everybody seemed to have a good time.

Future reports coming as time becomes available.

Roger Carmody for the Daily Mail reports from Romney Marsh:

Reports coming back are sketchy at best. Originally it looked like there would be no battle at all. Forces failed to materialize and this reporter as well as many others retired to the warmer environs of the local pub. By the time word came out that Prussian ships had been sighted heads were less clear than they were in the early afternoon. Photographers suffered from more that the effects of the local brewer's best as the light faded fast and made picture taking dodgy at best.

The Prussian's came on in a line of battle, their monitor pounding the defenses on the shore with cannon fire.
The British response came in the form of two patrol boats that soon came steaming out of the river, their deck guns blazing away at the Prussian landing craft and torpedo boats. Almost immediately one of the landing barges explodes, killing all aboard and fire breaks out on the deck of a Torpedo boat.

The land defenses enter the fray as well. The big gun on the Martello tower finds it is unable to penetrate the thick armor of the Prussian monitor so it switches to pounding on the torpedo boats.

HMS Melusine makes a quick surfacing to launch its torpedoes at the Prussian monitor Erda. Erda manages to turn out of the path of the torpedoes and returns fire with both turrets, sinking the Melusine almost immediately.

HMS Hot Trod rams a Prussian torpedo boat and boards, clearing both decks. After the smoke clears only a few Hot Trods remain, but no Prussians are in sight and the British sailors quickly scuttle the torpedo boat and try to back their craft out of the way. Unfortunately the Prussian boats partner has been pouring torpedoes into thte water, all heading straight for the Hot Trod. A series of explosions cripple the ship but it stays afloat.

At this time it was becoming clear to the Prussians that they could not carry the day and a withdrawal was ordered. Prussian losses were heavy: one torpedo boat and one landing barge gone. The English took heavy losses on the water but their land forces remained intact and very active.

More pictures can be found here:
http://rotanddrivel.com/romneymarsh.htm

Thanks,

Mike

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: England Invaded, Episode 1, Romney Marsh
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 04:24:45 PM »
Gaud Save the Queen!
Good to see we have repulsed the Prussian menace once again, will they ever stop trying to invade old Blightey?

Wonderful stuff Mike, All your efforts have paid off the game looks superb. ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 04:34:49 PM »
Yeah, great report great models yeah ;D

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 05:27:06 PM »
Highly enjoyable!

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 06:01:44 PM »
Excellent stuff
Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 06:13:04 PM »
Great start to your campaign. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when the Prussians finally get ashore.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 06:51:15 PM »
Great looking game :-*
Looking forward to the next episode.
One of these days I may need to try this VSF gaming for myself. You lot have definitely got me hooked.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 08:18:11 PM »
Looks like a lot of fun.

Oh I'm sooo looking forward to boating it out in VSF.

Unfortunately my opponent has yet to buy/build anything remotely boatish.

My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com