Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:33:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690822
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 749
Total: 754

Recent

Author Topic: Space Crusade Dreadnoughts  (Read 3845 times)

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Space Crusade Dreadnoughts
« on: September 29, 2018, 05:31:57 PM »
Some days ago, while looking for something totally different in my old boxes, I stumbled on a couple of Space Crusade Dreadnoughts, and I simply couldn't resist the temptation.

Easy & quick paintjob, just some nostalgia coming up :D. Not that I currently have any real project to put them to use, but well, you never know...

Some more pics here:
https://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com/2018/09/interlude-space-crusade-dreadnoughts.html

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Space Crusade Dreadnoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 06:25:28 PM »
That’s a nice white  8)

I’ve got one of these kicking around somewhere but I’m not sure what to do with it. Extensive conversion work keep springing to mind  :?
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 06:52:15 PM »
Nice.

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 07:30:56 PM »
Very nice dreadnoughts.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 12:05:13 PM »
They are kind of iconic since they were never used outside Space Crusade, which is interesting in itself since virtually everytrhing else is lifted straight from the existing 40k universe and given a different name here and there. The Dreadnoughts were certainly the centerpieces of the Chaos Forces, but I think the models had a problem in that their weapons pointed up at an angle, at least the basic version with two arms. I really didn't like that.

Painting them off-white fits the Android color scheme but it's a little hard to make out their "angry face"/teeth this way :)
The picture of a painted Dreadnought on the side of the SC box is a little bit extreme, though, with all the flame effects and rainbow colors! I wonder how the military theme olive drab would look on the tabletop.

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 02:51:04 PM »
Woodland camo might looking good as well.

Offline tanktastic43

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 06:47:49 PM »
Brings back memories of many happy hours spent trying to get through the missions.

Well done.

tt43.

Online beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 07:23:27 PM »
 Very cool. I remember facing off against that a few times.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 07:54:36 PM »
Oh. That white is pretty good and the models trigger a huge nostalgia flash for me!

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 10:40:34 PM »
Painting them off-white fits the Android color scheme but it's a little hard to make out their "angry face"/teeth this way :)
The picture of a painted Dreadnought on the side of the SC box is a little bit extreme, though, with all the flame effects and rainbow colors! I wonder how the military theme olive drab would look on the tabletop.

Just for everybody to know, we're talking about these :):

I simply tried the Apple version and got a couple of iDreadnoughts :D

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 10:55:21 PM »
Lovely bit of vintage nostalgia  :D
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 08:35:09 AM »
Back when I painted my set, I was still doing all of my painting with enamels (I came into the hobby from a model plane building angle), and I painted my big one in the green paintjob as displayed on the Mission Dreadnought box.

Just blocked in (I had never heard of shading, washes or highlighting at the time), and the red and white were rather thick, but if I recall correctly, I did paint a number on the side.

And I cut the face off the smaller one when I was scratchbuilding a Tomb Spyder for my 2nd ed Necron army. I still sort of regret that, as now one of my Dreadnoughts is defaced...

Thanks for the nostalgia; it's great seeing these again, and your paintjobs certainly are better than mine! They also match the Androids in the GW/MB artwork a lot better.

And did anyone ever notice that the Android on the side of the box is nothing like the actual models? The Mission Dreadnought artwork does show them correctly.

The one on the big box looks like an amalgam of Space Crusade Android and 2nd ed Necron. Interestingly, the models on the side of the box are pictures of actual, painted miniatures (something I had a hard time believing at first, with my blocked in enamels ::) ).

So there must have been at least one miniature cast of this version, and when checking the online archives, it is indeed listed as an unreleased Necron, accompanied by a picture of the same miniature, in unpainted metal.

Must have been a studio only development thing. there are some more, all of slightly different design, but all fairly close to the eventual 2nd ed Necron Raiders.

I remember wanting to add a few of those unreleased ones to my army, as I also have a bunch of converted Space Crusade Androids in there, but passed on the idea when I realized that one of those miniatures could pay for an entire 2nd ed army, even with today's increased prices...

+++++[DERAILMENT DETECTED]-76523\4A+++++
+++++[APOLOGY PROTOCOL LOADED]-EL639\603G+++++
+++++[EXECUTE]-N1\3402+++++
+++++[RETURN TO BOOT PROGRAM]-IGT90\235Z+++++
+++++[EXECUTE]-N1\3403+++++
+++++[PRINT]-["Carry on"]-D1-0UT+++++
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 07:46:59 PM »
Very nice. They were decent models for what they were.

One of the great disappointments in my gaming life was getting Missiin Dreadnaught, only to find that there was a piece missing. Toys R Us couldn't or wouldn't replace it so I (or my paying relative) was refunded instead. My SC is largely intact though. Not a bad game.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 08:46:51 PM »
I made the SAD mistake of allowing a friend to use some of the weapons for his arbites. *sigh*

Doug

Online beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 08:52:15 PM »
Those Arbite weapons must have been HUGE!