Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:45:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690724
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Space Crusade Dreadnoughts  (Read 3844 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Space Crusade Dreadnoughts
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 01:11:00 AM »
Even more bizarre was that the Chaos Cyborg or whatever it was called was actually the nugget that turned into Necrons more or less later in 2nd edition. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 07:32:06 AM »
Exactly, I love that part of the genesis of the Necrons.

They have a pre-history reaching back, from their introduction in White Dwarf 217 (1998), for almost a decade, as Space Crusade was released in 1990, and I'm assuming development would have taken a couple of years at least.

This is also why I've included the Space Crusade Androids (or Chaos Cyborgs; I'm a bit hazy on that to be honest. I must crack open my copy to check now) in my Necron army, be it slightly converted to add more shouldery shoulderpads and a new gun barrel, to match those of the metals.

+++++[DERAILMENT DETECT/REPEAT]-5ORR33\11+++++
+++++[TOPIC REBOOT]-4G41N\0774+++++
+++++[EXECUTE]-N0W\FD986+++++
+++++[ROLLEYES]-MY\64D+++++

::)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 05:33:29 PM »

And did anyone ever notice that the Android on the side of the box is nothing like the actual models? The Mission Dreadnought artwork does show them correctly.

The box art differed indeed! Back at the time, I thought this was related to the versions released in different countries, with the UK one providing the cover art for all other versions even though their models differed slightly.Now, it seems like there was some kind of prototyping going on before final release. Take a look at this picture from the back of the Hero Quest box:

The miniatures have round bases, the doors look different, and I think some of the rooms have different artwork.

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 05:40:46 PM »
Even more bizarre was that the Chaos Cyborg or whatever it was called was actually the nugget that turned into Necrons more or less later in 2nd edition.

Even more bizarre was the chaos android AND that design dreadnought both show up on the old epic dreadnought sprue:

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 05:45:07 PM »
I have often wondered about the back of the Heroquest box. And have just assumed the English version was different or that there were a different first edition. And have you noticed the rats scattered about the board? And the skeleton and treasure chest in a room with no door.

But on topic. The dreads look great. Now you have to paint the rest of the game. I painted a Heroquest miniature for the Fantasy painting party. And ended up painting the entire game.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2018, 06:03:12 PM »
Allow me to divert this thread once more  ::)

Does anyone one why, in the computer version of Space Crusade, they decided to replace the Genestealer with a "Soulsucker"? I have never heard of this alien type and assume that it was made for the game exclusively.

Of course, the expansion "Voyage Beyond" also features a "Mothersucker" as a boss  lol