Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:19:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685053
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley in (of all things) the Pulp Era (updates irregularly)  (Read 17826 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Pulp Alley in (of all things) the Pulp Era (updates irregularly)
« on: September 30, 2018, 02:17:23 AM »
So, I recently swindled a few friends to get a campaign going for Pulp alley, and the decision was to actually play in the Pulp era, so I finally quit dragging my feet and got a few models painted that didn't quite fit in with my post-apoc setting (although I will usually freely mix that era in, as certain styles of clothing never really change).

I have no idea what this guy is, or where he is from, but I made him a pale-skinned vampire wanna-be.  He has some kind of contrivance on his left hand that I just painted a dark silver.

And we have Lincoln with an axe - a bit early for pulp, but maybe he extended his life by killing vampires...or something.

And a classic Red Skull.

We had our first meetup where everyone was there today, and it was freaking awesome.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 05:47:02 PM by Sinewgrab »
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Re: Pulp Alley in (of all things) the Pulp Era
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 10:46:11 PM »
Shocked by the choice of period setting! Shocked, I say!

Any photos of the game in progress, and the players?
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 12:12:56 AM »
Not really yet - we are going to start Perilous Island next month.  It looks like we will only be able to meet about once a month, but the first fully attended meeting yesterday went well.

We did a "Trail of Clues" - I GM'ed for the other 4 players.  I didn't keep track nearly well enough for an AAR.

Basically,  I told them to find the plot points (who were townsfolk) to get clues to find the soda machine.  Nice and simple.

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 02:52:27 AM »
I looks like you are off to a brilliant start. I hope we get to see more.
A.Nik-

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 04:35:34 AM »
Planning on it!  As I finish some more figures, and get in some more games, the results will show up here.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 03:06:12 PM »
Fantastic!  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 04:37:53 PM »
Nice one!  :-*
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pulp Alley in (of all things) the Pulp Era (now with big toy!)
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 03:23:47 AM »
Gentlemen,
   I have to admit, I have been remiss in posting images of a build I have been working on for a week or so.  I almost put it in workbench, because I am planning on building enough gribbly bits to use the current project for several genres - Pulp, WW2, VSF, Space Opera, and anything else I can come up with.

May I present, Crossover Miniatures' Scholz Zeppelin.

Fairly straightforward for the most part - there are a few misspellings in the directions, but that doesn't matter overmuch as long as they make sense.

I primed and painted the inside a gray color, to make it fade into background, and make whatever is on the deck become the focus of the eye, so that I would not have to spend weeks painting such a large space.  I used a hammered silver on the outside of the shell, to give it either a Zeppelin look, or a Spaceship look, or, in extreme cases, an Astronef look. :)  I also built and painted the entire shell before I even considered working on the flooring.

I then used a cherry wood stain on the flooring, and painted the walls a merry blue color - matches my VSF Norwegians, actually.  Wonder why?

And tonight I finished most of the work.  I still have to build the engine nacelles, but I am a bit tipsy between bourbon and paint fumes...and they are bloody complicated.

This thing is a beast, but a beautiful one.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 03:36:40 PM by Sinewgrab »

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 03:31:26 AM »
On, and I got in a good little 3 way game today, with my wife and Marine0846.

Came down to the last turn, and we ended up in a 3 way tie, with 1 minor plot point each, and the necronomicon floating down the river after my wife's sidekick "couldn't hold on".  (I used a card to make her drop it.)

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 05:18:41 PM »
"we ended up in a 3 way tie, with 1 minor plot point each, and the necronomicon floating down the river"

Is that the Book of the eight spells which must be said on certain occasions? Or am I missing something? It looks like a good starting game, and the figures look great...

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 06:43:26 AM »
It's my go-to name for any tome of occult standing I use as a plot point, along with Die Vermiis Mysteriis.

The zeppelin is finished - magnets, cabling, ladders, and nacelles.

I am going to make pieces that fit along the wall and in the cabin for control stations, etc, so that  I can switch from genre to genre by changing them out.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Pulp Alley in (of all things) the Pulp Era (with zeppelin)
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 01:48:15 PM »
Looks great Neil.
Can't wait to play a game in it.
Oh, there is a game at your house next weekend. ;)
I will be right over. lol
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 03:04:53 PM »
And I have the scenario that Dave designed to go with the Zeppelin, too.   :D

Should be a good game.

Offline Neunfinger

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 09:34:15 AM »
Wonderful looking terrain. That zeppelin is simply amazing, have fun playing the scenario. How do you store it?
Looking forward to seeing more.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pulp Alley in (of all things) the Pulp Era (10-27 games!)
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2018, 09:21:30 PM »
So, yesterday we played the inaugural game on my Crossover Miniatures Scholz Zeppelin, as well as our first foray into using the Horror deck (in the second game).

The Zeppelin game went really well using The Crossover scenario.  I was too tied in to remember all of the bits, but Marine 0486 took the win when his Gangster crew was revealed as the conspirators, and set the bomb down where none of us could get to it.   :?  It was after all, Turn 5, and we were all headed to the other end. 

The competing leagues were my wife's duo based on Rick and Evie from The Mummy, Marine's Gangsters, our buddy Ron's German Jet Troopen, and my Church of Starry Wisdom.

It was really crowded in the control room to start.

The other nacelle was worse - I didn't get photos, but the perils there eliminated 4 different models - 2 followers, a gang, and an ally.

Dammit, who put that there!

One jet trooper actually got to the bomb, but promptly failed to pass the peril, and went out.  As usual, the first time I take something out that I just painted was blown up.

And then we went to Egypt for a get the gold without being eaten by Mummies game.  We had decided to ise nothing but Duos for this game - I had the Phantom and Devil, my wife her Rick and Evie, Ron had Stahlhelm and Golgo Satana, and Marine ran the game.

This one ended in a tie, as we knocked down Stahlhelm, who had seized the major plot point, but taken quite a beating in the process.

All in all, one hell of a Saturday.  Dave, love your game.