Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:59:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686668
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: King Arthur's Britain: The Truth Unearthed  (Read 6961 times)

Offline The Inscrutable Dr. Huang

• Assistant
Re: King Arthur's Britain: The Truth Unearthed
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2018, 08:49:39 PM »
I saw it as well, but wasn't convinced at all.  They seemed to have a pre-determined agenda ("Uncontrolled mass immigration is good m'kay, is nothing new and is what makes us British...") and then set about twisting the paltry evidence to fit the theory, while ignoring what didn't suit the theory.
 the pink & fluffy revisionism of 'The Saxons were welcomed as immigrants and made Britain a stronger and better place'.

Careful there, you might get busted for inciting racial hatred or whatever law your Bolshie government has inflicted on you.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2018, 09:10:00 PM »
On our political spectrum they fill the gap between right of centre and far right. As the party that best represents the landowning elite and royalty, it's interesting that they might be perceived as 'Reds' elsewhere to say the least.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2018, 09:45:00 PM »
...Merlin would be more commercial if the name Myrddin had to be adapted. :D
Well as 'dd' is a 'th'  sound it's very close to 'the Prophecies of Mervin', so pretty much anything would be better. ;)

Yes indeed.  ;)

Latin, and Old French, didn't know the sound "TH". They knew "Z" but it wasn't very usual. A good translation for "DD" was certainly difficult.

(...and myself I'm able to pronounce "LL" when I'm a bit drunk and surrounded with Welsh-speaking people, otherwise I can't find a good inspiration, but yes you can do it when you actually want to).

Incidentally, a Breton harpist (Rémi Chauvet) choose the stage name "Myrdhin" years ago.
...but most of his (French-speaking) public, even here in Brittany, pronounce it: "Mirdin".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsRPuKR44tg
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 09:58:17 PM by Patrice »

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2018, 12:28:24 AM »
If anyone's wondering;

A Welsh 'Dd' is exactly the same as a vocalised English 'Th' (e.g as in 'The', 'There', 'With', 'Thou' and 'Further').  'Th' is used in Welsh for the sibilant English 'Th' (e.g. 'Through', 'Throw', 'Three, and 'Sloth').
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2018, 03:19:34 AM »
With all due respect to the science, the notion that genetics can entirely explain a largely cultural phenomenon 1500+ years ago borders on myopia, if not hubris.

I suspect there was a lot of racial/genetic mixing for hundreds of years along the north sea as there was elsewhere in Europe as so the genetics of "native Briton" at that time might have been similar to a native from north Europe, but culturally they might have been very different.

This link may be of interest.  I enjoyed the whole podcast series, but this particular episode is relevant for this discussion:
https://soundcloud.com/fallofromepodcast/20-the-anglo-saxon-migration

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2018, 08:19:58 AM »
Careful there, you might get busted for inciting racial hatred or whatever law your Bolshie government has inflicted on you.
::)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2018, 11:03:27 AM »
I suspect there was a lot of racial/genetic mixing for hundreds of years along the north sea as there was elsewhere in Europe as so the genetics of "native Briton" at that time might have been similar to a native from north Europe, but culturally they might have been very different.

This link may be of interest.  I enjoyed the whole podcast series, but this particular episode is relevant for this discussion:
https://soundcloud.com/fallofromepodcast/20-the-anglo-saxon-migration

Thank you for sharing that, it was most enjoyable...  :)

... and right on the money to me.  >:D

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2018, 08:06:25 AM »
'King Arthur: Nothing New To Say' probably wouldn't get as many viewers to be fair.

What bemuses me is the bandying about of 'high-status dwelling' for anything with four walls and a roof that might not have leaked.