Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:26:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Nova Aetas - painting the whole thing to a tight deadline  (Read 6939 times)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Re: Nova Aetas - painting the whole thing to a tight deadline
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2018, 02:43:15 PM »
@Michka: Thanks very much! :) Yeah, I thought I get the old terrain out for some extra nice shots. It also was the customer's birthday and I thought I'd present him with some extra nice update shots. (being ever the slimy, slithery compliance-machine that I am. :D ). To be honest I also just like having the stuff out on the table. Makes me happy when I walk by.

@Andym: Oh, thank you. I was seriously worried about them looking a bit ruddy, considering the material, how hard removing the mold lines was, the size, and the time constraint. So positive feedback on the painting is very soothing to me, especially on this project.

@Bloggard: Many thanks, Sir! So far the results have been met with thumbs up. :)

@Daeothar: Thank you. It's good being cheered, isn't it. :D Yeah, the panic phase is over I'd say; showcased by the facts that at this point I'm being pretty sure that I'm the best in the world at what I do (until the next tiny little crisis shatters my fragile artiste ego. Not that I'm an artist, it's just my ego that thinks I was) and the fact that I'm starting to slack immediately. Nah, it's okay. I'm pretty positive I can finish those minis in time, considering this is half-time.

Well, here's the rest of the characters for now - the Apprentice and the Gypsy:

Hope you like them!

And now for the updated to do list:

Fauns:
.) 8 Warriors
.) 2 Musicians
.) 5 Centaurs

Venice:
.) 8 Stratiota
.) 5 Crossbowmen

.) The Doge
.) Condottiere

.) The Gypsy

Vatican:
.) 8 Swiss Guard
.) 5 Papal Guard
.) The Pope
.) Cardinal

Characters:
[/color]
.) Knight
.) Scum

.) Apprentice
.) Novice

Monsters:
.) Dragon
.) Manticore

The lines are pretty clearly drawn now. I guess it's time to work out a colour scheme for the Vatican dudes, starting with the Swiss Guard and the Papal Guard, then I guess I'll paint the pope and the cardinal, and then it's monster time!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 02:53:12 PM »
goodness me, I think that last batch are the best yet ...

not just a happy customer but ... an ecstatic customer I'm sure!

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2018, 12:18:55 AM »
@Bloggard: Thanks muchly! Yeah, the characters of course are a looker. And I gotta say that especially on the gypsy lady and the wizard lady I took a little extra time as I wasn't panicking as much any more about getting it done in time. And to be honest the figures are designed in a very agreeable way. They "paint up well" (as one of the most mysterious of mini painting expressions go). Those two were also a good excuse to get some colours apart from brown, bleached wool and red in there. I actually worked off of the same blue-green base coat on the two figures. Oh, and I really love painting ginger hair. And that turquoise. What a lovely mini, that sorceress. Of course details on these casts aren't terribly sharp, which actually helps with this  thing that I love about 28mm faces (or larger) - I never quite know what they'll look like in the end. I mean I got my set approach, but things always go a tiny bit different, so it's never before the last highlights and the lips that I know what the face will EXACTLY look like. But at some point the mini starts having a soul and a unique facial expression. Good stuff, good stuff. Shame these minis are so huge and don't go with any collection...

Heyhey, here's the Vatican test minis on which I cobbled together a colour scheme:

I'll see if the colour scheme is OK that way, and if so I'll go on from there.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 09:55:20 PM »
Boom!

It's me. Good evening. The Vatican soldier dudes are done; the Swiss Guard (left) and Papal Guard (right) respectively:

Fauns:
.) 8 Warriors
.) 2 Musicians
.) 5 Centaurs

Venice:
.) 8 Stratiota
.) 5 Crossbowmen

.) The Doge
.) Condottiere

.) The Gypsy

Vatican:
.) 8 Swiss Guard
.) 5 Papal Guard

.) The Pope
.) Cardinal

Characters:
[/color]
.) Knight
.) Scum

.) Apprentice
.) Novice

Monsters:
.) Dragon
.) Manticore

Right, next on the list I've got the pope and the cardinal, and after that naturally it's time for a trip to monster city. Hope you like the figures, talk to you soon!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:23:07 AM by Battle Brush Sigur »

Offline opponenttheory

• Scientist
    • My blog about painting
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 10:06:20 PM »
I have no idea how you are painting to such a good quality so quickly. Very impressive.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2018, 01:01:24 AM »
It's a mix of panic and a systematic reduction of every single other aspect in life to a minimum over the timespan of decades.   ;D

Something like that. A recipe based on a test mini helps of course. I also cut corners. :P

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2018, 02:47:59 PM »
Good afternoon!

The pope and the cardinal are done now.

Hope you like them!

Fauns:
.) 8 Warriors
.) 2 Musicians
.) 5 Centaurs

Venice:
.) 8 Stratiota
.) 5 Crossbowmen

.) The Doge
.) Condottiere

.) The Gypsy

Vatican:
.) 8 Swiss Guard
.) 5 Papal Guard

.) The Pope
.) Cardinal

Characters:
[/color]
.) Knight
.) Scum

.) Apprentice
.) Novice

Monsters:
.) Dragon
.) Manticore

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2018, 07:46:12 PM »
Wow! I love that purple you’ve achieved on the Papal Guard robes! :o

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2018, 04:09:44 PM »
Wow! I love that purple you’ve achieved on the Papal Guard robes! :o

Thanks very much! I do love a good purple. :)

Well, here's an update:

Again, I like those designs. :)

The Manticore's more or less done at this point. Working on it gave me flashbacks to when I painted one of the best monster figures out there, the Chimera by Mierce Miniatures. Painted that one in early 2011 and to this day it's one of the models I have the best memories of. Lovely sculpt. If you want to do yourself a favour, buy this figure. And then give it to me to paint it for you. ;)

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2018, 08:43:34 PM »
Done and done.

Size comparisons:

Sorry for the bad photo quality;I'll see that I get better ones made tomorrow or Tuesday.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2018, 07:20:47 AM »
Well; you did it! 8)

And ahead of schedule and with very nice results too; many kudos to you, good sir.

Your client should be elated to get a set painted tot his standard, especially at such short notice.

The dragon and manticore are very nice models too btw, although to me (as I don't know the game), they appear to be slightly overkill. Here you have your game of squabling factions; a couple of swordsmen and halberdiers slug it out. they're fighting, and they're fighting, aaaand there's a dragon! (internet cookies for those who get that reference  ;D )

Awesome work though. Now what's next? :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2018, 06:02:36 PM »
amazing quality without the consideration of how quickly you've done them ... o_o

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2018, 11:32:38 AM »
@Daeothar: Thanks very much! Yup, it worked out in the end. I have the slight suspicion that the whole thing started out as a "dark medieval fantasy Vatican vs. Venice" affair. Then they made it a Kickstarter, and added a fantasy element in the Fauns (which I like). And I'm very sure that the Manticore and Dragon are basically stretch goals/ expansions. They're made of proper resin too rather than PVC and so on. I like the designs though, as I said before Proper, simple dragon. Actually, with the long neck and small head it looks like one of King Gidorah's heads I think. :D And I like Manticores in general. As for what's next - I started working on some more of these fantasy/medieval-to-20th-century houses so I can make some nicer scenic photos of minis.

@Bloggard: Cheers! Much appreciated.

Right, I got a little cold. Good thing it's right after I'm done with these figures.

I'll see that I get some more photos done later today, along with some photos with terrain. Thanks for following this. All I need to do now is get the whole collection varnished.

Oh, and for the sake of completeness:

Fauns:
.) 8 Warriors
.) 2 Musicians
.) 5 Centaurs

Venice:
.) 8 Stratiota
.) 5 Crossbowmen

.) The Doge
.) Condottiere

.) The Gypsy

Vatican:
.) 8 Swiss Guard
.) 5 Papal Guard

.) The Pope
.) Cardinal

Characters:
[/color]
.) Knight
.) Scum

.) Apprentice
.) Novice

Monsters:
.) Dragon
.) Manticore

[SIZE=18]DONE[/SIZE]

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2018, 11:53:24 AM »
absolutely fiipping wonderful.

I'm sure it's on your site, but what do you do for varnishing?

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2018, 12:33:54 AM »
@Bloggard: Once more, many thanks! :) It's pretty simple. I do the gloss-first-then-matte thing. For gloss varnish I usually use some from a local craft store. HOWEVER, on these here I used gloss varnish from a rattlecan I got from a car store earlier this year when I did some gamepad-customizing. Worked just as well. Then I applied a thin layer of Vallejo matte varnish mixed with some matte medium fired through the old airbrush.

Right, final pictures before I send them back home. At last minute I had the idea of "why not add some static grass?", because it seems like I can't do with a stressful ending to the whole project. So I did that and varnishing and took a whole lot of photos.

...and so we're off to the tavern!