Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:46:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Redshanks in Ireland 1596  (Read 932 times)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
The Redshanks in Ireland 1596
« on: October 01, 2019, 11:26:37 AM »
I thought folks might be interested in a piece on the famous Scottish Redshank mercenaries in the Nine Years War in Ireland.  In particular I wanted to put some of the contemporary images we have of them in one handy place.  In the course of this I was able to deduce that the fellow shown in Lucas De Heere's well known Scots painting is wearing cannions.

If it's of interest to you here is the link to my blog.

https://youdonotknowthenorth.blogspot.com

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: The Redshanks in Ireland 1596
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 01:39:02 PM »
Another useful article, I’m enjoying these.

Your final image, looks very much like the typical Gallowglass wargames figure. I’ve normally associated Redshanks with much lighter / less armour.  And perhaps this is the problem of wargames lists wanting to differentiate troop types, whereas in reality the troops probably served different functions at different times, so varied their equipment. And there naming came from geographic or social groupings, not battlefield function

Offline Eoin OCnaimhsi

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 01:48:23 PM »
Thanks for that.

I am currently putting together a force of Gaelic Irish for this period in 28mm.

Redshanks are a troop type I will be tackling after I convert pike and cavalry. There really isnt a great selection on the market for this period for Irish and Scots. I am probably biased being Irish myself, but I think the Irish and Scottish at this time in History are really interesting.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 02:44:17 PM »
Glad you're enjoying them Fred. 

The Galloglaich and the Redshanks came from the same areas and in many cases the same families but with a gap of three hundred years or so.  So an armoured Redshank does indeed resemble a Galloglaich.  The Redshank of our period is always an archer as well as a close fighter whereas a Galloglaich might have thrown darts but I've never read of Galloglaich archers in a military context.

As gunpowder became more dominant the Redshanks shed their armour and we find them using guns as well as bows.

Thanks for that Eoin.  I think it's a fascinating period of history.  The famous drawing of Galloglaich with bow would serve very well as Redshanks and some one, Claymore Castings? now makes them in 28mm.  They were reviewed on this board.  I'd certainly consider buying them for your 28mm forces.  I also wonder if you've seen the Old Glory 25mm figures they might be worth a look for your cavalry.

BTW my next post will have some very clear images of Irish Pike Men which might be of use to you.