Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:26:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [Commercial] Oak & Iron 1/600 Scale Naval Battles 1650-1750 - Two More Videos!  (Read 7126 times)

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
Basic buy in will be $69 for a starter set with everything needed to play, including 6 ships.
Mike Tuñez
Firelock Games
www.FirelockGames.com

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
OK this looks really nice...
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline Jan

• Bookworm
  • English isn't my first language. Forgive me. ;)
As is said, the ships (1/600) are little bit simple in comparison to 1/1200, but certainly robust and for casual players like me good enough and its affordable.
Starter Box little bit low on Dice, but good price.
EU friendly. Nice. I am in.

As is said. Love the rules. Always wanted play naval battles, but there wasn't a thing like Oak & Iron. Good choice there at Firelock Games. Congrats. Kickstarter goal reached already!

Any chances to get a "how to" of the Gaming table? Seems not easy to build though.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 09:06:03 PM by Jan »
X-Wing | Oak & Iron | Old West & Sci-Fi Skirmish (WiP)

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
I'm in.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Great start to the campaign, but pretty much everyone on the comments reckons there are not enough ships in the starter, or at least that more than 1 of each of the smaller types is required.
I would have thought sets of Brigs and Sloops would be more in keeping with the theme than introducing 1st and 2nd Rate Ships of the Line.

Offline Jan

• Bookworm
Uffff, the comments section realy makes me feel a little bit sorry for the guys at firelock games if i read some of the questions there. But it's the third kickstarter, so they knew what they would be "engaged" with. ^^
It seems, that some guys dont even watch the battlereport and of course don't get an Impression of the game and ask unnecessery questions. But okey.

Can somewhat understand the guys who want more ships generally (though they never played the game by themselves *sigh*), but if you watch the batrep you can see, that you can play good and long enough games out of the box. So i don't understand guys saying there are not enough ships in it. It is more than other starter sets offer (in other games). It is a starter box and the price tag is good. No need to double the miniatures (some guys even want a playmat in it; WTF?!) and therefore the price. And no need to dump out many stretch goals. I would have been pleased to just preorder the core box as it is.

They even work on the demands as add ons, what is realy nice of them.

Well done Firelock Games.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:48:06 AM by Jan »

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
It is a Kickstarter, there are always a vocal minority demanding more.......anyone launching a project must be aware of that.
In this case I don't think the problem is the number of ships, for the price the starter is great value.  Rather that Firelock have built their position on the back of Pirate gaming and miniatures and have been pushing this game to that audience.
Which makes it a strange decision  to include an add on for 1st Rate Ships of the Line which have no place in a Pirate game, but not the Sloop or Brig which were the main types actually used by the "Pirates".

I hope they will include the smaller ships as add ons.

Offline Jan

• Bookworm
True.

They wrote, they are working on it. And pirates can't sail every ship of the selection Mike said in the batrep. Seems they considered this.

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
It looks great but do you need individual ship cards for each ship and can the ship cards be acquired separately later on. I ask for the people who have a collection of ships but want your awesome rules.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:22:41 PM by racm32 »

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
I've backed the KS. The ships look a bit simple, but those are renders. The painted samples are good enough and I believe that once rigging and flags are added they will look great. I agree that being able to pledge the ships separately as add-ons would be nice.

Offline Timmo

• Bookworm
I actually prefer these ships to any of those that have grossly out of scale reefing points moulded onto the sails. I've never understood why this very small detail was seized open decades ago by those creating 1/1200 Napoleonic ships and then exploded out of of all proportion. I say bravo for leaving them off. The models look so much better for it.

1/600 is the perfect size for the smaller ships that are of most interest to me. I'll keep the SOL action for the Napoleonic period. I like the idaa of offering relatively simple models that can be painted by those who want more special looking models but that are good enough to use as they are.

The clear bases are million times better than the ARES Sails of Glory ones. Although ideally I'd like them a bit thinner but appreciate that in time I'd have to go to Litko for them!

I echo the call for sloops, brigs and galleys. It would be great if they offered models of known pirate ships – the Osprey book shows a few of them. And off course I'd have to paint up a Black Pearl.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
From the last update it seems as if they have accepted the need for more small ships and the 6 starter ships are available in 2 sets of 3 as add ons. Good move by Firelock.

Now if they would change the decision to skimp on dice and actually include enough in the starter for all the available ships........ :-[

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
Thanks for all the feedback guys! For the record, I was trying to get the rest of the team to have those smaller ships as add-ons from the beginning but no one listened to me!  lol

I realize the "pirate" thing is the selling point for a lot of people and the cool thing about that to me is that it will attract a lot of people into historical naval gaming without realizing they are learning about the history of sailing warfare :)

I'm feverishly trying to get more prototypes made and painted up so I can film a fleet game with multiple squadrons. It adds a whole new tactical level to the game and is really fun to play multiplayer!

The ability for the game system to handle squadron level skirmishes and full fleet battles is one of the things I'm really enjoying about the game so far. I'm excited to show that part of it off.

Offline Jan

• Bookworm
Cool. Would like to see it.

With this scale for maneuvers you need a big table it seems. But in naval thats not a huge problem. (blue tablecloth)