Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:14:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690603
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tall Pines "how To"  (Read 1768 times)

Offline kingsmt

• Mad Scientist
Tall Pines "how To"
« on: October 04, 2018, 08:10:38 AM »
For you Von Lucky, a quick "How To"

First, go gather up some sticks between 8-14 inches long. I cut them off a dead bush in my backyard. I cut about 30 to start. Microwave the sticks to kill bugs. A bunch of small bugs came crawling out of the sticks I cut, so make sure to do that. Throw them in a tub of Matte Medium solution to seal them. Let them soak overnight.

Next buy something like this. A coconut fibre basket liner
Coco Basket Liner
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grower-Select-12-Basket-Coco-Liner/401515529127?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Now cut the basket liner up into various sized circles, like this.

Once that's done, peal the circles apart and tease them out. Like this

Now, after the sticks have dried, whittle the top to a point. Electric pencil sharpener works well here. Otherwise, do it by hand. Not too sharp, just enough taper.

Start from the top and slide a large coco circle about 1/4 of the way down the stick. Using smaller and smaller circles, fill the tree up until you're near the top. 
Take the circles off and slather the tree with PVA or whatever glue you choose.
Really slap the glue on, so that the coconut fibres will stick
Slide the circles back onto the stick and allow for space in between layers. 
Leave it to dry overnight.

Next tease the fibres out and pull any excess off by hand. Form the shape of a Pine tree with some sharp scissors. Don't be afraid to leave some blank spaces between branches, an airy look adds to the realism.

Whatever color flocking you plan to use, now is the time to get it ready.
For theses particular trees I used Woodlands Scenics Evergreen Fine Turf.
However, you can use many and varied colors of flock depending on the look you're after. Coarse turf will result in a "fuller" tree. The Season should determine the color.

Next use a dark green or dark brown spray paint and spray the fibers. Try to avoid spraying the trunk below the fiber line. Spray all over, including underneath. While the paint is still wet, begin applying the flock by allowing it to sprinkle down all over the tree. Get some underneath by turning the tree upside down and applying flock there. Give it a good coat. 
Put these aside to dry.

OPTIONAL... You can spray a lighter or different color from the top of the tree down to represent new growth. 

Big Finish...
Once the paint has dried, I spray the tree with spray adhesive and apply a second coat of flock. I vary these colors and textures to make each tree different. The batch that I am making now is a bit greener and more open than the first bunch. They will intermingle perfectly. Remember to keep some "dead" and "downed" trees to the mix.

Once you're finished with that then hit the finished product with some Dulcote to lock it all in. That's it.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Tall Pines "how To"
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 10:33:06 AM »
I like it. Interesting technique.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Tall Pines "how To"
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 03:53:26 AM »
Thanks for this!