Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:52:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686591
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Piquet and The Italian Wars in Olicanaland  (Read 3978 times)

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
Re: Piquet and The Italian Wars in Olicanaland
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2018, 05:10:06 PM »

What I don't like is the multiple dice sizes rolling off against each other. I find it clunky and you can get some really odd extreme results.
What I'm waiting for is the Renaissance version of 'For King & Parliament'

The chance of those extremes does keep the game exciting though. Going for a 4 on a d4 when your opponent has just thrown a 2 on his d10 is edge of the seat time. Although in this example the side with the advantage will rout on that result in a melee say, it cannot be badly damaged by the “inferior” unit as the number of hits would be the difference between the scores. This means that your elite units might have a setback in this situation but are unlikely to be destroyed by a bit of bad luck....

Offline caveadsum1471

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2018, 06:34:07 AM »
Great looking game and figures (yours and James,)you can't always win! Looking forward to you producing more units in this period.
All the best Iain

Offline MGH

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 05:49:05 PM »
Nice battle report and of course gorgeous figures too.

Many years ago a couple friends and I had a bad experience with Piquet rules (not renaissance though) and we all swore we'd never play that set again.

Anyhow I'm a big fan of the period and am currently painting up armies using the 18mm Blue Moon figures for the Italian Wars. I love TtS ancients rules so I'm with SteveBurt hoping for Simon to do a Ren version.

I wonder if anyone has heard of or tried Gloriouso rules? Written by Stephen Danes, I bought the PDF and they certainly look good, I like some of the concepts. When my armies are big enough I'm going to play out a game of that.

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 05:51:24 PM »
Big fan of Piquet myself

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2018, 03:06:39 PM »
The chance of those extremes does keep the game exciting though. Going for a 4 on a d4 when your opponent has just thrown a 2 on his d10 is edge of the seat time. Although in this example the side with the advantage will rout on that result in a melee say, it cannot be badly damaged by the “inferior” unit as the number of hits would be the difference between the scores. This means that your elite units might have a setback in this situation but are unlikely to be destroyed by a bit of bad luck....

My thoughts on this are well known.

Firstly, combat, especially melee, is never a sure thing and is always a risky business.  The all seeing eye in the sky isn't present for real soldiers, perhaps ordered forward over unforeseen bad ground; perhaps with officers and NCOs being killed; general fog of war; the enemy being led by a truly inspirational anonymous hero who turns the tide - like the maid of Saragossa seizing the linstock and firing the cannon after its crew (and her lover) was killed at it, throwing back the French; etc. Generals seek to stack the odds - D12 Vs D4 - but it's never a sure thing.

Secondly, it's more elegant than the bucket of dice Vs bucket of saving throw approach. One dice each, now that's clean. Furthermore, the opposed dice mechanism always keeps both players 'in play' at all the moments of decision and combat resolution.

Just my two penneth worth. No more valuable than anyone else's.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 10:49:25 AM by olicana »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2018, 06:48:42 PM »
Oh my, look at those armies.... :o
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2018, 08:17:29 AM »
What an amazing looking game! Looking forward to seeing more reports in the future.