Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:49:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Cast for a WWI Call of Cthulhu scenario  (Read 2460 times)

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Cast for a WWI Call of Cthulhu scenario
« on: October 04, 2018, 06:18:28 PM »

A friend & I wrote a WWI set scenario to run at our local gaming group & I foolishly decided to be responsible for painting the minis & scenery (who am I kidding - didn't need much of a prompt to take on a CoC related project ;))
 The British minis are a mix of the excellent Mutton Chop BEF figures, (really lovely models, needed to adapt them slightly as the scenario is set in the war's closing weeks - just replaced the soft caps with Brodys) & some venerable Foundry trench raider minis. The main opposition (Germans) were also mostly Foundry, with a Mophidius Achtung Cthulhu mini for thier leader. The big beastie in the background is a re-purposed GW Fell Beast (standing in for a rather large Dimensional Shambler.
 I've still got a bunch of villanous civilians & zombies to finish & will add pics as I do.
 As ever all comments & pointers welcome.

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
Re: Cast for a WWI Call of Cthulhu scenario
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 08:53:54 PM »
I will follow this closely....
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 09:36:49 PM »
Sweeeet!
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 09:56:44 PM »
Spiffy looking figs. I am very interested in learning more about the scenario too!
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 10:05:17 PM »
Looking forward to more.  Seems very Weird War One.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 10:47:37 PM »
Love it. Great selection of figures  8)

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 04:27:37 PM »
 We managed to get the first section of the three part scenario played on the 11th as planned & it all went pretty well. This is intended as an introduction to the cast of characters & had a 'fewer library use rolls & more unreasoning violence' approach than our standard CoC games. We justified this with the reasoning that it was set for serving soldiers during wartime where wandering off for a bit of research would've amounted to going AWOL.
 This first episode brings the characters, a group of skilled British trench raiders performing what they assume is a standard bit of reconnaisance: it's early November & the war is (unknown to them) all but over - here's the intro handout for the PC's giving the state of play at the scenario's beginning:
"SUMMARY
It’s November 1918 and the tide of the German’s most recent (and last as it turns out) offensive, OPERATION MICHEAL has receded, with a demoralised German army retreating in disorder. The influx of fresh troops, in the form of a million Americans, coupled with more effective allied tactics and the continued hardships experienced by the German civilian population has effectively broken German resistance across the Western Front. Allied forces are now advancing across all areas of the front, in the teeth of terrible weather, cold and heavy rain making life more than usually miserable.

After the town of Courtrai was taken, it would be necessary to secure crossing points for the nearby Schelde river, just beyond the town of Audenarde some 15 miles to the east of Courtrai – conducting reconnaissance in the area surrounding the villages of Eyne and Eename would be essential to secure the advance.

Our protagonists, part of the 30th Division of the X Corps under Lt. General Reginald Stephens (part of General Herbert Plumer's 2nd Army) are a squad who’ve carved a niche as trench raiders. They’re soldiers whose bravery, suicidal insanity or terrible luck (depending on whom you ask), has found them always at the forefront of the conflict, reconnoitring enemy positions and, when required, mounting small scale assaults in order to gather intelligence, including the capture of prisoners where possible. "
Of course this being CoC, nothing is that simple & as our plucky protagonists discover, necromancy means never having to say goodbye...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 04:34:46 PM by Ballardian »

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 04:33:23 PM »

Here's the final pic that wouldn't fit in the previous post.
 (Anyone who's played 7th Ed. CoC will realise how lethal both shooting & combat are - so we approached the scenario's plethora of guns witha little trepidation - with a little GM deus ex machina however, in the form of dense mist that severely reduced peoples chances to hit at distance, we managed to keep the party alive!)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 05:06:40 PM »
Very cool miniatures and lovely write-up. Nice to see Kortrijk and Oudenaarde being used as I live only 15km from each of these cities.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 09:57:13 PM »
Great figs and love the set up. Would love to hear more details about events in the game.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook