Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:28:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Medival Bunny rabbits  (Read 2300 times)

Offline wkeyser

• Scientist
Medival Bunny rabbits
« on: October 05, 2018, 07:39:49 AM »
Well this is just too good a kickstarter not to share. You have to love the fact that the sculptor has taken images from Medieval manuscripts as models for this kickstarter. Who does not love the Killer rabbit in Mony Pythons Holy Grail.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/23535743/killer-rabbits-medieval-manuscript-art-made-into-m/description

The illuminated rabbit

The model!!!!

Another one that is just too funny.

And the model

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
Re: Medival Bunny rabbits
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 09:01:58 AM »
Shouldn't this be in fantasy?  :D

The figures have no interest for me but I'm curious as to why the monks did pictures of rabbits attacking castles - was this some kind of nationalist joke of the time (like the British calling the French 'Frogs')? You'd think those illustrated manuscripts were time consuming enough to do without doodling in the margins....

Offline wkeyser

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 10:38:41 AM »
I thought as it is in historcal medieval documents that it must be in historical.  No sorry seriously you are correct it should be in fantasy.
Sorry about that may be some can move the thread.

William

Offline Duncan Head

• Student
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 10:40:29 AM »
The association with snails in some of those pictures is interesting - Knight vs Snail being a well-known motif:

http://blogs.bl.uk/digitisedmanuscripts/2013/09/knight-v-snail.html
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/why-were-medieval-knights-always-fighting-snails-1728888/

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 10:44:13 AM »
Did Monty Python find inspiration in those old manuscripts?

Offline wkeyser

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 12:36:27 PM »
Hi Muninkd
i seem to recall that the killer rabbit from The Holy Grail was inspired by some of these illustrations.

William

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 04:13:18 PM »
I thought as it is in historcal medieval documents that it must be in historical.  No sorry seriously you are correct it should be in fantasy.
Sorry about that may be some can move the thread.

William

William,
I'm certainly not outraged you put it here - I wasn't being entirely serious! And it has raised some interesting non-wargaming ideas relating to the period - I think there is a lot of model stuff out there that falls into more than one category and it is easy to get too hung up about it.

I found this: https://jonkanekojames.com/2015/05/why-are-there-violent-rabbits-in-the-margins-of-medieval-manuscripts/

Malc

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 06:20:49 PM »
Oh this should definitely be here in the medieval section! Though no doubt there are some fantasy fans who would be interested in fighting rabbits, this is all about genuine medieval artwork.

I love medieval art - the way out proportions of everything, the eerie placid expressions on the faces of people having their heads smashed in... and the rabbits. And snails!

I want to see this one sculpted next...

« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 06:28:49 PM by Charlie_ »

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 02:10:59 AM »
Those monkish copyists were smoking some strong stuff, bro'.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 12:53:45 PM »
I like how rabbit society appears to have adopted the hares and graces of then-contemporary society.  :)