Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:20:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Old Battle Mech Miniatures Identification Request  (Read 878 times)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Old Battle Mech Miniatures Identification Request
« on: October 05, 2018, 10:29:21 AM »
Recently found these in the miniature pile, some old plastic and metal Battle Mech miniatures. The metals seem to date from around 1988, all three have different year markings. My question is what are they and are they worth some money as I don't play Mech games? Thanks for your expert advice.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Old Battle Mech Miniatures Identification Request
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 10:34:01 AM »
I've just been thinking about getting into Battletech.
The one on the left is an Atlas, Middle is a Battle Master, middle right is a Pheonix Hawks (I think) and the Right most is a Marauder I believe. Not sure about the left middle, Catapult maybe?
Not sure about pricing, maybe check out RPE or Ironwind metals they still sell metal battletech stuff, not sure of the era either. Sorry.

Actually the three on the right look to be identical to the older Starter set that were the shiny plastic sort.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 10:37:56 AM by beefcake »

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 10:41:16 AM »
Atlas, Catapult, Battlemaster, Wasp/Stinger and Marauder :D

+++EDIT+++ I just saw the arm cannons on the ground next to the Wasp/Stinger: those would make this a Phoenix Hawk, as noted by Beefcake ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 10:42:48 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 10:55:09 AM »
People have already identified the models but the Battlemaster, Pheonix Hawk and Marauder (metal minis) are all the "Unseen" variants which may make them worth a little more.

Essentially FASA licenced existing anime designs for some of the original mechs and then found out the company that sold them the licence might not have had any right to do so. As a result they weren't allowed to use those designs anymore despite the mechs still technically existing in universe.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 11:18:09 AM »
People have already identified the models but the Battlemaster, Pheonix Hawk and Marauder (metal minis) are all the "Unseen" variants which may make them worth a little more.

Essentially FASA licenced existing anime designs for some of the original mechs and then found out the company that sold them the licence might not have had any right to do so. As a result they weren't allowed to use those designs anymore despite the mechs still technically existing in universe.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen

Yeah, the jury is still out on this, and it looks like Harmony Gold may finally get what they deserve for hogging and viciously defending IP they never legally owned, in a new case of theirs against the latest contestant (a computer game company). When they lose this, and it very much looks like it, their whole IP rampage all the way back to the eighties will prove to have been built on thin air, and there may finally be some justice for FASA and several other companies that were wrecked through cases started by HG.

In short: FASA licenced several designs from the original Japanese owners for use in Battletech, but Harmony Gold had secured distribution rights in the US for Macross/Robotech, plus several other series, and some of the designs FASA had licenced in Japan were part of Macross and these other series. The ensueing legal battle forced FASA to first change the designs so that they did not resemble the originals, and the originals are since that time known as the Unseen by fans. FASA evetually went out of business, indirectly because of these battles, but other companies working with the Battletech IP faced similar battles against HG. Eventually, last year, HG started another case against the latest PC game developer working on a Battletech title. However, the claims now seem to fall through, because they were badly formulated and in some cases based on nothing (they even claimed IP rights on designs they never owned or even claimed to own), and as it turns out now, the original licencing of the series back in the eighties did not include exclusivity of the designs, and in some cases, they did not negotiate with the rightful owners, so they have been defending designs they never owned. There may just follow some counter cases in the aftermath I reckon...

[TLDR]FASA may have been in the right all along, and the unseen, then reseen and now unseen again designs might finally become available for use in Battletech again. And about time too. ;) [/TLDR]

As for the minis; they're nice, in demand, but not super rare, so don't expect to hit the jackpot with them. But I reckon the metals could fetch upwards of €15,- a piece. I don't know about the plastics though...

« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 11:19:48 AM by Daeothar »

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 11:45:02 AM »
In combat manuals kurita and mercenaries are new versions of the unseens included. Especially the marauder looks amazing, well i like all the new looking mechs. Even the quite different looking locust. But haven't seen a possibility to buy a marauder or warhammer now.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 11:47:19 AM by Tungdil »

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 01:10:44 PM »
Thanks for all the information! Quite some knowledge collected here  :o