Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:41:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Naran Fantasy Wars battle: High Elves vs Orcs  (Read 2346 times)

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
Naran Fantasy Wars battle: High Elves vs Orcs
« on: September 03, 2018, 04:26:03 PM »
Hello,
here is the link to the page of our site where I put pictures of the fun battle of Naran Fantasy Wars, played in the week from July 16 to 21, 2018: High Elves against ORCS.

http://www.naran.it/naran/International/fantasy/Gallery/Battles/High-Elves_Orcs_2018-07.html

And here are some pictures:

Good sight.
Sergio & Sandro
Naran Team Torino
http://www.naran.it/naran

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Naran Fantasy Wars battle: High Elves vs Orcs
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 04:53:43 PM »
Grenadier-tastic!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 07:07:41 PM »
Good looking army there.  Those Mirliton Elves are great.  In some respects they are, to my mind, better representations of Tolkien Elves than the Oathmark figures.  My only gripe is that they didn't make many figures with sword/shield combination.  I did wonder about the posing (wide splayed legs on most), but in your pictures this doesn't seem much of a problem when they are painted and ranked up.
From the pictures on their website it looks like the elves wear FM boots, but I see from your painting that they are greaves.
Thanks for the post.

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 05:27:00 PM »
Good looking army there.  Those Mirliton Elves are great.  In some respects they are, to my mind, better representations of Tolkien Elves than the Oathmark figures.  My only gripe is that they didn't make many figures with sword/shield combination.  I did wonder about the posing (wide splayed legs on most), but in your pictures this doesn't seem much of a problem when they are painted and ranked up.
From the pictures on their website it looks like the elves wear FM boots, but I see from your painting that they are greaves.
Thanks for the post.

Hello,
sorry if I answer with a little 'delay', but I have not come to see the site for a while time and unfortunately in this site is not provided for the option of email notice when someone answers or comments a post that one put.
On the Mirliton miniatures, which are the original Grenadier, the shield is sculpted with the arm attached to the body, so it is not possible to remove it. But there are the miniatures to make the various Units: one hand weapon and shield, spear and shield, two-handed weapon. This for the Infantry.
Those of the Cavalry have the arm with the hand that supports the weapon as a detached part, so if you want it is very easy variations: hand with sword, battle ax, spear. The flag-bearer also has the arm that supports the flag pole as a separate part, so you can make this Special  for the three types: bare-headed, with helmet, with helmet with plume. In practice, by combining the three different "heads" with the three different "weapons" you can make nine different Units: Lancers with helmets, Lancers with helmet with plume, bare-headed Lancers, Warriors with swords and helmets, with sword and helmet with plume, with sword  and bare-headed, with a battle-ax with a helmet, a plumed helmet and a naked head.
I made two Units of Lancers and one Unit with the two one hand weapon, putting together those with sword and with a battle-ax.
Three different types of archers on horseback, characterized by the three type of head.
For the Trumpeter, unfortunately, there is only the bare-headed type, and it is quite difficult to make the conversion because the arm with the hand that holds the trumpet is attached to the body, moreover the trumpet is placed on the Trumpeter's lips. So to make the exchange it would be necessary to carry out an operation of high surgery, very risky.
Yes, indeed, the greaves were reproduced on the Cavalry miniatures.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 07:20:43 PM »
Hello,
sorry if I answer with a little 'delay', but I have not come to see the site for a while time and unfortunately in this site is not provided for the option of email notice when someone answers or comments a post that one put.

Go to PROFILE at the top, then SUMMARY on the drop-down menu.

Then go to MODIFY PROFILE and NOTIFICATIONS on the drop-down menu. This gives you the option to tick the box for email notification of replies to posts.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 08:39:09 PM »
Thank you Mr Cubs for your assistance  ;)

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 09:33:21 PM »
Likewise, thanks, Cubs.
Although I have Northstar Elves I am very tempted to get the Mirliton ones.  They look like they should be easy sculpts to paint.

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 11:12:52 PM »
Go to PROFILE at the top, then SUMMARY on the drop-down menu.

Then go to MODIFY PROFILE and NOTIFICATIONS on the drop-down menu. This gives you the option to tick the box for email notification of replies to posts.

Hi Mr. Cubs,
thank you very much for your very useful suggestion.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 07:23:42 AM »
No worries.

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 08:44:00 AM »
Great to see those classic Grenadier figures painted & put to good use. :)

And you seem to be playing with the Fantasy Warriors rules. How do you like them?

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 07:36:28 PM »
Great to see those classic Grenadier figures painted & put to good use. :)

And you seem to be playing with the Fantasy Warriors rules. How do you like them?

If I understood correctly, you asked me why I like it. Good question.
It's a bit like asking me why I like Mozart.
I will try to answer you briefly. It is an excellent regulation to play fantasy battles or even historical battles with 28 mm miniatures mounted on single bases. You can simulate small skirmish fights with a few miniatures or big battles with lots of miniatures. There are excellent rules for handling classic fantasy situations, such as magic, undead, dragons, giants and other creatures. The best thing is the method of play that previews the contemporary turn, definitely superior to other games that instead adopt the alternate one.
Fantasy Warriors is much more fun and dynamic, with no downtime. The order system that the Warchief must give to Battle Leaders is excellent. Ditto the scouting, etc. etc. etc.
And then, not to be underestimated, the Rulebook is free, downloadable from the Mirliton's site ( http://www.mirliton.it ) with even the 11 base fantasy armies.
We (Naran Team Turin) made some expansions that you can find on our site http://www.naran.it/naran /
Sincerely

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 08:59:26 AM »
Thanks, LotB! :)

I've had the Fantasy Warriors rules for years, and I love many of the design ideas. But nobody else plays it here, and I'm lazy in organizing things, so I haven't tested it.

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 07:50:27 AM »
Thanks, LotB! :)

I've had the Fantasy Warriors rules for years, and I love many of the design ideas. But nobody else plays it here, and I'm lazy in organizing things, so I haven't tested it.

Sorry.