Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:11:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690470
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Juniper's First Actual Battle Preparation: Dwarfs & Goblins  (Read 3299 times)

Offline Juniper

• Student
Juniper's First Actual Battle Preparation: Dwarfs & Goblins
« on: October 08, 2018, 01:16:18 PM »
Hi there!

I'm new to the forums and I thought I'd create an introductory thread with a little about my background, which ties in nicely with what I'm working on right now.

I've been building and painting minis on and off since my childhood, but due to having few (ie zero) friends in my social circle that are interested in this hobby, I've never actually had the opportunity to play a big battle wargame.  I've played a few games of Frostgrave and similar skirmish games here and there, but I've never had the opportunity to play a big battle game with huge units.

Over the last 5 years or so, I've been putting together a Goblin army, originally intended for WFB, but since WFB was phased out out, I've been looking into Kings of War.  I need to rebase my entire Goblin army for convenience's sake, since they are currently individually based (which is pointless for KoW), but since my Goblins are mostly otherwise complete, I'm now building a Dwarf army as opposition, since one of my D&D playing friends has expressed an interest in playing. 

I'm currently 2 units deep into the Dwarf army, and midway through a 3rd unit of Spearmen.

I'll share some pictures of my Goblin army as they are rebased, but for now, here are the first two Dwarf units:

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
Re: Juniper's First Actual Battle Preparation: Dwarfs & Goblins
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 01:19:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Tidy paint jobs on those dwarves. I look forward to seeing the goblins.

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 07:34:43 PM »
Great painting on those guys, love the figures.
I always hate rebasing figures from individual to multi-figure bases. I much prefer using movement trays, like the excellent ones from Warbases, which can be in ordered ranks, or in mob-like formation. But that's probably also due to the fact that I use my figures mostly for fantasy RPGs like Pathfinder.

Post some more pics of those likeable short guys.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 07:40:41 PM »
Great work on those Essex dwarves!

It almost seems a shame to multi-base so many. This might fall under the "bit late now" heading, but have you considered sabot basing for the goblins?

Anyway, great stuff!

Offline tanktastic43

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 09:41:01 PM »
Great paint!

Well done.

tt43.

Offline Smoke Frog

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 10:36:44 PM »
Fantastic looking dwarfs! Looking great on that multibase too.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 10:39:25 PM »
Welcome, nice crisp painting, and also look forward to a goblin show at some point!

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 11:38:55 AM »
Great job on some nice, classic friends. Those Essex ones, an aquired taste but I really like them.  :)
Leadhead

Offline Juniper

• Student
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 01:19:17 PM »
Hey again,

Thanks for the suggestions for alternative basing ideas, rather than multibasing everything, I grabbed some sabot bases from Supreme Littleness and tested them out on the recently finished Spear unit.  They're not the perfect size for KoW but they're close enough for me.

I also finished up an Troop of Dwarf elites, probably will be Shieldbreakers in-game.

I'm enjoying painting the Dwarfs so much that I'm probably going to use them myself and give my 5yr old Goblins to my opponent.

Anyway, here are the Spear and Elite units:

Offline Juniper

• Student
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 01:26:54 PM »
Progress continues on the Dwarfs!  I have completed a crossbow unit, below, and I'm 90% done on a unit of Cavalry, which just needs basing.  I'm around 40% through another  infantry unit, made up of a mix of various oldskool Dwarfs I found in my childhood bits box, including a bunch of 90s GW metal Dwarfs and a few Reaper and Hasslefree models I picked up recently.  I'm really enjoying painting them.

I also found some old 90s GW Dwarf Engineer/Sapper models that I'll be pairing with a Cannon at some point.

But for now, here are the crossbows:

Offline Tungdil

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 01:33:25 PM »
Beautiful painted figures.

Offline Juniper

• Student
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 01:53:55 PM »
The latest additions to the Dwarf army are a troop of Dwarf Pony cavalry and an artillery piece:

Offline Commander Carnage

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 02:17:01 PM »
Looking good, keep truckin on that project.
"Just don't roll a one!"

Offline Juniper

• Student
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 04:01:18 PM »
The final core unit for the Dwarf army is finally complete!  This time a full complement of 20 warriors.
One final Troop of Pistoleers to go and the army is finished, them it's on to rebasing all of those pesky goblins.

Offline Juniper

• Student
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 11:08:29 AM »
I'm behind schedule with rebasing the Goblin army.  I'm currently working on a final unit of Dwarf Pirate Pistoleers for the Dwarf army, but I took a little time off from painting Beardies to add a unit of Goblin "Mawbeasts" to the Gobbos: