Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:41:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689769
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Nostalgia Time: 1st Edition Warzone  (Read 3586 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Nostalgia Time: 1st Edition Warzone
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2019, 02:34:41 PM »
1st Edition was a decent squad-size skirmish, but suffered from a lack of restrictions that led to broken min-maxing and choices that didn't match the fluff.

2nd Edition worked best at platoon level, IMHO, but could be stretched to about 50-60 figures a side before becoming too clunky. Better balancing in the basic lists that came with the game, but the army books outpaced those, and since there were only two released before the company folded, it wasn't great fun to play anything (except maybe Dark Legion) against Bauhaus or Capitol.

I used to be more in the 2ed camp when it came to figures, since there were a huge lot of excellent Kev White sculpts in there, but recently, I've grown more fond of the 1ed ones which have a distinct 2000AD vibe in many aspects and thus came in quite handy to supplement my Foundry and Warlord figures for that universe.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2019, 02:59:15 PM »
I'd say 1st edition was more of a skirmish game that worked best with 2-4 squads and about as many characters.  It's a little too detailed for really big games, and yes, it had balance issues akin to the GW rules of the time - tooled-up min-maxed heroes were a very 90s thing.

2nd edition worked better for larger games, maybe as big as a couple of platoons per side, and the heroes were far less OTT - but the troops stats became very similar, customization went out the window, and the (very) incomplete run of "faction" army books left its balance in tatters after support ended with the death of the company.

No idea what the later versions were like.  I'd moved on to Vor: the Maelstrom by then.  Sure can pick 'em, can't I?  :)

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2019, 03:53:43 PM »
Couldn't agree more on the Capitol miniatures. Some, such as the Light Infantry, with their Yogi Bear hats are kind of meh to me, but the Heavy plus Naval Troopers and the Free Marines are definitely my favourites!
I love the lads with the Yogi bear hats!
I think the Warzone stuff could be used with the Infinity rules. The infinity figures look great until you see them in the flesh and realize how many bits they come in. The warzone figures are like their overweight older siblings

Offline johnl5555

• Librarian
    • Wargamer Printing
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2019, 01:37:20 AM »
We tended to play 1st edition battles using the large battle tweaks in 1st. The rules were almost at the end of the rulebook. You could run a platoon per side with no problem.

Thanks.

John
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 01:39:44 AM by johnl5555 »
Owner JS Wargamer Printing. 3D printing miniatures, buildings and terrain.
https://wargamerprinting.com/