Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:33:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689738
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rolling Troop Storage Cabinet  (Read 1902 times)

Offline jmilesr01

• Librarian
    • lair of the Uber Geek
Rolling Troop Storage Cabinet
« on: October 10, 2018, 12:23:57 PM »
Over the past few weeks I made the wife a file storage cabinet to use for work - the design dimensions seemed to be very similar to what would work for minis so I built two!  The dual used for minis was purely coincidental, trust me.

There are 14 10 inch x 16.5 inch drawers which will allow me to store and transport all the mini's i'd ever need to put on a convention game.  The file cabinet will lift off the rolling cart part to make it easier to pack into my car for transport

Each drawer is supported on simple shop built wooden runners which are more than solid to hold the drawers in place but allow the trays to slide out to be taken to the table.  I wanted to be able to organize each players troops in one or two trays before going to a con and that will help me keep track of things.

Some of you may be wondering why there is such a large gap between the top drawer and the case top.  It's 2.5 inches and was deliberate to allow for storage / transport of taller models - vehicles, troops with pikes.  Of course my use of the term "deliberate" is the similar to how Gimili the Dwarfs used the term when falling off his horse during the Two Towers movie.  I just screwed up and them created a convenient excuse.

Each drawer can hold a lot (interior dimensions are 9.5 x 15.5 inches - this drawer has 123 stands of 15mm British infantry plus 21 stands of calvary.  Most of my Nap and ACW 28's are based on 40x40mm stands and each drawer will hold 54 stands or 216 figures.

I do plan on making some sabot bases holders for my 28mm skirmish figures which tend to be mounted on 25mm round bases.  That will involve cutting some 1/4 inch plywood and then drilling out 25+mm holes.  I'll use a 1 inch hole cutting drill bit and then sand out to cut to make it just a tad bigger than 26 mm.  It will be really tedious and I'll wait for a day when the weather is really bad and there nothing else to do.

I really like the drawer pulls as they have space for paper labels and were really cheap - I got 60 of them on amazon for a little under $0.40 each,  I'll need to figure out what to do with the left overs.

The are plenty of plywood scraps from this project to make more drawers and am thinking about making one a dice tower and some other game related accessories.  Any suggestions on what to build will be greatly appreciated.

I put the cart on some very robust caster wheels (5 inch diameters).  It wasn't for the weight of the miniatures but more to make sure the contraption can navigate some of the parking lots where convention games are held.  Some of them (like maybe the Host in Lancaster) more closely resemble artillery test ranges than parking surfaces.

This cart will likely see it's first convention use at Cold Wars in 2019 and for sure at Historicon later that year.
Miles
http://lairoftheubergeek.blogspot.com

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Rolling Troop Storage Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 01:02:33 PM »
That is a very nice bit of work!  8)

It looks to be really convenient, and by building more drawers, you could easily swap out units with a more stationary cabinet. That would spare you the tedium of having to swap large units from one drawer to the other.

How is the cabinet attached to the rolling bottom part? My experience with parking lots at conventions have also been quite interesting (I mean; have you ever been to Crisis? lol ) and I could imagine the top part sliding off the bottom if there is not at least one way to secure the two together during the arduous trek across washboard-like and pit-riddled parking lots...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline jmilesr01

• Librarian
    • lair of the Uber Geek
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 01:39:18 PM »
The top part locks in place with 4 carriage bolts so should be secure

The doors will eventually be held in place by magnetic clasps which will be reinforced with a tie down strap for transport.  The magnetic clasps are on order

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 06:48:16 AM »
Very practical, beautiful in it's functionality.

Now I want one :D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 08:45:18 AM by hubbabubba »

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 06:55:36 AM »
Outstanding work! Excellent craftsmanship.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 05:33:02 AM »
Very nice indeed.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 11:50:29 AM »
nice indeed, your own new design or based on something else you already did?

Offline jmilesr01

• Librarian
    • lair of the Uber Geek
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 07:05:03 PM »
Its my own design but probably "borrows" concepts I've seen on other woodworker sites / videos.  Like a lot of projects, I initially set out to build a a file storage unit for the wife and then built this one as I could repurpose the design

Offline jmilesr01

• Librarian
    • lair of the Uber Geek
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 10:35:39 AM »
The transport case is now finished and "deployed"

It rolls around very smoothly and the locking casters work well.  The cabinet is two units (the top shelve unit and the lower case with wheels) which can come apart for easier transporting in the back of of a car of SUV.

I think this will be a big help for future convention games in terms of making it easier just to move all the stuff to and back for the event.  To be honest, I'm really looking forward to trying the cabinet out "in-the-field" and will likely sign up to host some game at Cold Wars next March just to see if it's as helpful as I hope.

https://lairoftheubergeek.blogspot.com/2018/10/troop-cabinet-in-action.html

A few people have asked for plans and there really aren't any.  The project started out as a tool cabinet and then took a right turn to gaming related.  I'll pull together a blog post with more detailed measurements foe any who are interested.  How did something initially intended for the woodshop ascend to gaming level?  I was on Amazon looking for some drawer pulls and stumbled across the Library index card pulls that are on the drawers and the idea came to me that if I made the carcass of the case wider and added shelf runners this would be a great troop storage unit.  Damn you Amazon and you're scary smart product suggestion algorithms.

I still need to build the tool case.....