Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:24:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ravenna 1512 scenario for Fiasco 2018 (edit) game report  (Read 6896 times)

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
Re: Ravenna 1512 game for Fiasco 2018 (edit) Scenario finished.
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 12:43:56 PM »
This is the real thing. Gonna get there some day. Some day.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2018, 04:05:25 PM »
Really looking forward to Fiasco this year.

Brian Hicks, who bequeathed his wargames collection, and his house, to Leeds Wargames club earlier this year, and who is, by that act, is posthumously paying everyone's entry fee to the show, was a personal friend of the Lads; he lived just a quarter of a mile down the road from Olicanaland and introduced me to every gamer I know in Ilkley shortly after I moved here in 1996. Fiasco is his proper send off.

The Ilkley Lads demo at Fiasco 2013:
Brian (glasses around his neck) waits on Graham (standing), to make his move at Sidi Rezegh 1941, and as you can see from Peter's expression (seated next to Brian), Graham's taking his time about it. 

Hope to see you at the show, definitely drop by and say hello.

Regards,

James

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 06:37:26 PM »
Very, very cool.

Can I ask why you keep your 'movement trays' bright green, rather than texturing them the same way as your bases? If the answer is 'it looks nice and neat' I can understand that, it does... Just I've always wondered if it was something you just hadn't got round to yet.  :)

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 08:46:01 PM »
The reason they are not textured: I wasn't sure I'd think usefulness over aesthetic was worth it - so I  went simple to try it out.

As it is, after trying them out for a while, I can assure that they are absolutely worth it, especially for renaissance pike squares.

At some point, I'll take the movement trays outside, clamp an electric drill with a sanding disc into a "B&D Workmate",  and grind down the edges to 45 degrees, then I'll texture. I also need to make a few more, and I have just enough 4mm ply kicking about the place to do so. A job for next summer.

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2018, 12:03:40 AM »
Absolutely beautiful, and totally inspiring. I'm wondering if I can persuade the Memsahib that a trip to Leeds on a Sunday is just the sort of weekend casual drive we need.

I notice from your blog that you plan to revert to your rules, which you very kindly sent to me. I'm still enjoying re-reading them and examining the different sections, but, I had thought you had moved on to using 'Pike & Shotte'? Is it that your rules are a better option for this sort of game at a show? 

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2018, 02:38:31 PM »
As it happens, I'm involved with the production of the upcoming Pike and Shotte Italian Wars supplement, so it's not exactly a total reversion.

Pike and Shotte and Hell Broke Loose are totally different rule sets. The former are a very traditional set of rules in many ways, easy to learn, giving a good well paced game, with a table full of troops, in a evening's play. Hell Broke Loose, if you are coming to them without a previous knowledge of Piquet rules mechanisms, are a 'novel', or a 'quirky', set of rules with a quite a steep learning curve.

The last 'attack on defences' demo game I played was at the Derby show, Cerignola 1503, using Pike and Shotte. I thought I'd do something different for this one - partly because of my enthusiasm for all things Piquet; Piquet is something that I feel the need to evangelise on, from time to time, and I've neglected it at shows for nearly two years.

BTW, a new version of Hell Broke loose is now available. The amendments are slight but important to game play. Drop me a line for a copy.

Best Regards,

James.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2018, 08:06:45 PM »
Got to see this splendid game in person today.

The shear number of very well painted figures is incredible. The big units look so good. I wandered past several times to see the battle evolving - the last point I saw was the pike blocks had just about reached the fortifications.

Offline MGH

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2018, 03:38:52 AM »
I'm quite sure James will have pics of the game on his excellent blog. I'm sure it looked great, Fred.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ravenna 1512 scenario for Fiasco 2018 (edit) game report
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2018, 03:08:13 PM »
Beautiful game, I stopped to admire and catch up with Steve Shann but didnt chat James, you looked busy.
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2018, 04:01:50 PM »
Saw Steve S for about 10 seconds and didn't manage to bump into him again later - I left the table for 20 minutes all day, mainly for 'rest room dashes'. It was a very busy show, and five hours (that's usually the gaming time) doesn't go far. Next time, barge in. There's a mantra about never letting people go by your demo game without saying hello, but frankly, if I did that, that's about all I'd say to everyone all day. You must collar me next time - I'll make the time.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2018, 08:41:30 PM »
Will do James, cheers.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2018, 07:18:09 PM »
What a joy that table is to behold.  Extraordinary to see so many extremely well-painted Renaissance miniatures all in one place.