Forum > VSF Adventures

Mortal Engines Traction City - 1/1200ish

(1/4) > >>

The_Baron:
Hi all, here's something I've been tinkering with. Something I haven't seen anywhere else yet!

A Mortal Engines Traction City. Great series of books with moving cities 'eating' each other for resources a couple of 1000 years after a nuclear war. A steampunk setting although set it the future.

Ok well this is more a traction town or suburb, but I plan on making bigger ones also. 1/1200ish scale, about 60mm long. Built using a Dystopian Wars land something or other as a base (the track unit) with a bunch of 3d printed buildings and sculpting. Little rough around the edges but this was a prototype and I've learnt a lot for next time.

In the centre we have the well-to-do apartments, on one side the industrial sector, and on the other the middle class apartments with gardens and a pond. I wanted these to look like cities and not war machines. There are a couple of grapple guns on the front to grab smaller cities to eat.

Soon to be a major motion picture - check out the trailers, inspiring stuff. Hope you like it!

Cheers,
The Baron

3 fingers:
I’ve read the book with the red cover, looking forward to the movie as well,
There was someone on here doing a similar style project with 28mm figures for skirmishing between the different cities, but his thread got deleted when he got banned .

Ironclad Paul:
I like that a lot. Impressive city on top and very compact.  It's inspiring me to make some now and it does seem to fit with a 'land ironclads' style of game too with smaller and larger units (like naval gaming on land maybe).
In a way (to my mind) the scale isn't too important as smaller units could be a slightly larger scale for practicalities of gaming, and the larger units are so unlike anything else you see in gaming that it's difficult to gauge scale anyway.
Thanks for showing, nice job, and intriguing too..

Gunbird:
Lovely, beautiful creation

The_Baron:
Cheers all :)

In regards to scale, definitely fast and loose. I'd love to add some airship and fixed wing units, and much bigger cities also, as well as small suburbs for the bigger cities to eat. Some units of Stalkers for assaults could be cool too. Different forms of locomotion also - wheels, walkers etc.

--- Quote from: 3 fingers on October 13, 2018, 09:31:52 AM ---There was someone on here doing a similar style project with 28mm figures for skirmishing between the different cities, but his thread got deleted when he got banned .

--- End quote ---
I do remember that thread and a shame it got deleted. It would make a fun skirmish game too, but obviously in 28mm the cities themselves (the stars of the show as far as I'm concerned) could never be represented. There appear to be some cool uniforms on show

I have this book on the way too, which hopefully has lots more information and inspiration.
https://www.bookdepository.com/Illustrated-World-Mortal-Engines-Philip-Reeve/9781407186788?ref=grid-view&qid=1539917479586&sr=1-1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version