Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:38:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 610
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help! - Late Byzantines, ca. 1150-1250 (Komnenian and after)  (Read 6361 times)

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
Re: Help! - Late Byzantines, ca. 1150-1250 (Komnenian and after)
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 11:15:30 PM »
Hey, I hadn't checked GB in detail. Now did a search and found the various Russian sets. Thanks for noticing me! :)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 11:26:27 PM »
Actually any russian mini that doesnt have too many mongol inspired elements, could double for eastern Romans. Gripping Beast's minis are right historically for the era you want. But personally I dont like them because they have that old school stumpy cartoonish look. V&V are fantastic but if you want an army you have to break the piggy bank.
Actually my second ever sculpting adventure has an eastern roman theme. Im curious to see where it is going to lead me  lol

here is today's wip, still has long way to go

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2018, 10:08:27 AM »
Actually any russian mini that doesnt have too many mongol inspired elements, could double for eastern Romans. Gripping Beast's minis are right historically for the era you want. But personally I dont like them because they have that old school stumpy cartoonish look. V&V are fantastic but if you want an army you have to break the piggy bank.

My feelings too. Although I'm not sure professional soldiers would use short-sleeved mail hauberks around 1200. But for local mercenaries and levies, the Russians would do finely. Only they have that stumpy look. It doesn't matter in a unit, if they are in the back ranks. For front ranks I'd still want better proportions.

I also hear V&V is more like 30mm, so would force me to use their minis only, at least in a single unit. They are maybe a bit early and a bit light, and V&V do not really have that much choice for Byzantines. Yet I feel it's by far the best-looking range I've come across thus far. Three euros per model, however... is no more than what GW asks for some of their plastic infantry... which I haven't bought...  :)

Offline Khurasan Miniatures

• Mastermind
  • Miniature manufacturer to the stars
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2018, 05:50:36 PM »
Maybe come over to the dark side of 15mm. 😊

I’ve got a large range of 15mm 13th century Europeans that keeps lurching closer and closer to release, and when it does I need Byzantine types for the Byzantines themselves as well as Greek “sergeants” in Frankish Greece, Bulgarian and Serbian heavy cavalry, etc.

As they are ancillary to the Frankish range for now, I just had a pack of heavy cavalry and a pack of lower class levy archers made (which ought to do for the Latin Empire and Frankish Greece anyway).  Here are the heavy cavalry.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 05:52:22 PM by Khurasan Miniatures »
Khurasan Miniatures

Like us on Facebook for updates:
http://www.facebook.com/khurasanminiatures

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 10:05:04 AM »
Well, those are some excellent 15mm models for sure, and very very fitting to the time & place I'm after.

I think I'm fixed to 28mm. Please, do not tempt me.  :)

Offline Khurasan Miniatures

• Mastermind
  • Miniature manufacturer to the stars
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 04:37:16 PM »
Got it. I’m making a 28mm scale late 12th Century European range (eventually — just in the baby-steps phase at the moment) and it’s conceivable that Byzantines could be a part of the range. But not for quite some time.

So: Good luck with your quest!

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2018, 05:16:30 AM »
I’m making a 28mm scale late 12th Century European range (eventually — just in the baby-steps phase at the moment) and it’s conceivable that Byzantines could be a part of the range. But not for quite some time.
What a tease! lol

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2018, 07:18:29 AM »
What a tease! lol

Yep, brilliant for the crusades, although they did try to let the Franks do most of the fighting! (And of course, succeeded!!) :)

Darrell