Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:10:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689484
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1066 Wargaming - Miniature Theft  (Read 2155 times)

Offline MeridarchGekkota

• Bookworm
1066 Wargaming - Miniature Theft
« on: October 14, 2018, 08:07:42 PM »
I just saw this on Facebook and figured this would be as good a place as any to post it.

Original Facebook post here: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=719434375078519&id=568542700167688

URGENT APPEAL FOR HELP

In 2016, the members of 1066 Wargaming Club bought over 1000 miniature Saxons and Normans. Over several months an army of volunteers painstakingly built and painted all of these miniature soldiers in order to enact the Battle of Hastings as a huge boardgame. Since then, more volunteers from the club have taken this massive game to different boardgaming events and historic events; you may have seen it at Battle Abbey during their annual Battle of Hastings weekend, or at the Wyntercon gaming convention.

Sometime during the night between Saturday 13 October 2018 and Sunday 14 October 2018 this massive army was stolen from Battle Abbey. 1066 Wargaming Club members had been planning to spend both days of the historic event running games for the public, and showing our hobby to a wider audience.

Of course this huge number of miniature soldiers has great significance to 1066 Wargaming Club because we have all spent a long, long time making this game the massive spectacle that it was.

The miniatures are Saxon & Norman Infantry, Archers, & Knights, mostly from Gripping Beast and Conquest Games, and are plastic minis, based in groups on wooden bases. They are all painted, but as they were painted by a large number of volunteers, the paint-jobs are not all identical.

If anyone has any information that might lead to us getting our game back, please let us know. Also, please share this post to any groups you know, so that we can cover as much ground as possible, or at least make it hard for any thieves to sell this game.

Thanks in advance.  :( :( :(

There's pictures of some of the miniatures on the original Facebook post.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: 1066 Wargaming - Miniature Theft
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 08:36:34 PM »
This sort of thing always perplexes me. If someone steals a huge pre-painted collection like this, what do they intend to do with it? They can't take it out in public to clubs and shows, as before long someone will identify it, especially with how easy it is to take pics of games at a show and put them online. And if they intend to sell  on ebay, all it takes is someone to identify it and they will be tracked down.... So they are left with the option of just keeping it at home to themselves.

Sad...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 08:58:20 PM »
On the anniversary of the Battle of Hastings as well...  ::)

(Mind you, I suppose that's why they had it all down there... )

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 05:30:11 AM »
Hope you find them, this thing is always disturbing. Who steals miniatures? Sad.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 11:27:30 AM »
The really sad thing is they will probably end up getting dumped.
Thieves think 'these must be worth lots of money' then discover the market for them is very small.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 01:02:26 PM »
True. If it had been several hundred metal miniatures painted to a connoisseur standard, it would have been a pretty valuable haul. But I'm afraid mass-painted GB and Conquest plastics aren't going to be worth that much. Which tells me the thieves probably weren't connected with the hobby - just opportunists who will quickly find out that the risk they took wasn't worth it. So all for nothing - senseless :(

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 01:56:12 PM »
Damn them all. An arrow to the eye would be too good for them, I guess.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 07:47:02 PM »
True. If it had been several hundred metal miniatures painted to a connoisseur standard, it would have been a pretty valuable haul. But I'm afraid mass-painted GB and Conquest plastics aren't going to be worth that much. Which tells me the thieves probably weren't connected with the hobby - just opportunists who will quickly find out that the risk they took wasn't worth it. So all for nothing - senseless :(
I'd agree but why would thieves be at a wargaming convention of all places if they didn't at least have a faintly passing knowledge of the hobby? There's no way the average punter is out there thinking "Wargames! Yeah! That's where the money is!" when there's community rec centre lockers to be broken into, or what have you. 

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 07:56:47 PM »
I am sorry to appear the sceptic here but since there are so many hoaxes and exaggerations fluttering around these days: is there a confirmation this has happened?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 09:10:29 PM »
Yeah, Interpol have released a photo of the empty corner where they used to be.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 10:51:32 PM »
So Sad - and given I am painting up a thousand Normans and Saxons at the moment I know how long they must have taken to paint...

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 11:01:26 PM »
Yeah, Interpol have released a photo of the empty corner where they used to be.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 01:24:52 PM »
I am sorry to appear the sceptic here but since there are so many hoaxes and exaggerations fluttering around these days: is there a confirmation this has happened?

If they were running a gofundme campaign I'd understand the cynicism.