Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:38:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dux Arda: Lard of the Rings  (Read 4532 times)

Offline arget8

• Scientist
Dux Arda: Lard of the Rings
« on: October 15, 2018, 02:37:10 PM »
My first Gondorian officer/test piece is finished! I'm planning on only doing wings for officers and nobles for this force, along with any special shields, like the tree or any unique designs. The rest of the men will either have black and white designs or plain shields for levies. I'm trying to decide whether to put tree decals on the elite infantry. Right now the plan is to use Dux Britanniarum, modified for LotR or SotK whenever that comes out.

If I can source some transfers I wont go insane trying to freehand the tree of Gondor on multiple shields!

« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 03:39:50 PM by arget8 »

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Re: Men of the West
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 04:14:33 PM »
Very nice!

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 07:13:22 PM »
I tried free hand and I just wasn't pleased with the results, so I had some custom transfers made. I think they look much better and they will have the added benefit of driving me far less crazy!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 08:11:46 PM by arget8 »

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 07:26:46 PM »
Who makes the miniature? :)

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 07:27:50 PM »
Footsore, the best Dark Age minis on the market.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 03:57:04 AM »
Dude looks great! Will you be making more soon?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 03:04:02 PM »
I have some more on the painting desk right now. The Gondorian Lord and five elite troops. I'm making them for Dux Britanniarum (Working on a conversion now, if anyone wants to see it) and SoTK (when it comes out).

All minis will be Footsore for the Men of Gondor and Arnor. I'll be putting procreate wings on the helmets of the leaders, like this guy.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 07:41:56 PM »
Really good. The wings on the roman helmet work really well.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 08:12:17 PM »
Thanks guys. I corrected the pics above. I for some reason put the old freehand on there.

Offline MrHlaine

• Student
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 04:19:45 PM »
I really like your project and the way you are painting the minis. The more I see what people come up with the more I dislike all the tinmen of Minas Tirith i own...

From the photos you posted it seems you are having issues making the decal adhere perfectly to the shield.
If I'm right and that's the case you may want to put your hands on some Tamiya Mark Fit Strong. It works really well for me and it's really easy to use. you simply apply it on the decal 2/3 times waiting a little between each application. The only prep work you have to do is apllying some gloss varnish to where you want the decal to smooth the surface.

anyway, I can't wait to see more of your work! Especially the conversions!

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 06:53:46 PM »
Thank you! I personally like the look of the tinmen of Gondor as generic fantasy soldiers, but I don't feel it is right for the period of time that inspired much of Middle Earth. In my mind, Arnor and Gondor are clearly the Western and Eastern Roman Empires, Rohan is a Anglo-Saxon version of the Visigoths, Dunland are the celtic British and Picts, Harad represents the Sassanids/Saracens, the Easterlings are Ostrogoths and other migration Germanic tribes with some Hun influence, and Dale are northmen (think Vikings and Pagan Rus especially).

The big issue with it was that I didn't punch the hole for the shield boss big enough and the transfer is just a hair too big to fit perfectly around the stars. I'll be removing the stars from my future ones.

Offline Randell

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 09:32:05 PM »
As someone who knows what SoTK means, I've also been in a cleft stick about loving gaming LoTR but hating the Peter Jackson look for Gondor.  As almost every Oval or Kite shield out there has a boss which interferes with the white tree, where did you get custom decals made?

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 10:42:18 PM »
I like your take on the diffrent nations historical counter parts. Will you be useing proxy figs for the diffrent fantasy races as well? (Elfs, dwarfs, goblins and all their off shoot races?)
Oh and I would enjoy seeing more of your work.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 11:42:36 PM »
The transfers are from Fallout Hobbies. He has a custom decal section, you just have to send the picture and how big you want it.

For Elves and orc, I'll probably go with the Oathmark figures, dwarves will probably be conqueror if I ever do them.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 03:52:41 AM »
Cool, I believe warlord games is also rereleasing the old wargames factory plastic orcs also. Don't know if that will work for you ether.