Forum > Age of Myths, Gods and Empires

Looking for Resources on Ancient Sicily

(1/3) > >>

Easy E:
Greetings fellow historical players.

I am trying to find some good sources on the Sicillian Wars between the Greeks, Cathaginians, and Sicillians between 480 to 307 BCE. 

Primarily I am interested in good secondary sources, as I am familiar with Diodorus Siculus work on the subject.  However, I am more interested in understanding the make-up and composition of a Sicillian army.  The Greeks evolved a lot in their military preferences as did the Carthaginians.  However, I am not having much luck with the military structures of the ancient Sicillians.

I could assume they mirrored other Greek colonies in Magna-Graecia, but I want to know a bit more before running forward with that idea. 

Thanks for your help! 

Here is a the wiki if that helps you understand the era and information I am looking for:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicilian_Wars

Irregular Wars Nic:
I only have notions based on memories of primary sources but...

Thucydides goes into a lot of detail about the Athenian Sicilian expedition of 413. Syracusans at least seemed to have made great use of skirmishing archers and slingers (and javelin armed psiloi?) against the Athenian expeditionary force. In the third century BC, the Sicilians were known as slingers and archers. The Athenians themselves seem to have picked up plenty of Italians - Daunians etc who would count as peltasts more than hoplites I imagine.

Plutarch (Life of Dion maybe?) talks a lot about the Syracusan tyrants hiring mercenaries.

Arrigo:
how good is your italian?

'Guerra per la Sicilia e guerra della Sicilia. Il ruolo delle cittą siciliane nel primo conflitto romano-punico' by Claudio Vacanti. It covers the last bit of the wars in sicily, so it is a bit extreme for your time frame, but provides good information on greek cities in sicily.

Easy E:

--- Quote from: Arrigo on October 15, 2018, 07:51:22 PM ---how good is your italian?

'Guerra per la Sicilia e guerra della Sicilia. Il ruolo delle cittą siciliane nel primo conflitto romano-punico' by Claudio Vacanti. It covers the last bit of the wars in sicily, so it is a bit extreme for your time frame, but provides good information on greek cities in sicily.

--- End quote ---

I can't even read the menu at an Italian restaurant.   lol   

Duncan Head:
If you know Diodoros you're off to a good start.

For modern works, start with Jeff Champion's two volumes on the Tyrants of Syracuse - here and here. He's not quite as pro-Greek biased as Diodorus but a good volume on Carthage might be a good balance - Richard Miles is good on the interactions between Punic, Greek and Italian cultures in Sicily.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version