Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:38:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hail Caesar! - Growing forces in the Punic Wars  (Read 20604 times)

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
Re: Hail Caesar! - Growing forces in the Punic Wars
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2020, 12:33:03 PM »
Having followed your progress to date and greatly admired the results I read this latest update with a mixture of sadness at the damage and admiration at your resolution to remedy the situation....if sympathy could be boxed up I’d send you a truckload....as it is hang on in there as I have no doubt that “The Cursed Legion” will return not just repaired but more spectacular than ever  ;)
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2020, 02:36:28 PM »
Unfortunately a few weeks ago horrible thing happened. While I was out doing some errands the wife's friend came over with her 8 year old son, and long story short, he decided to be an arse and help himself to the minis.  Not cool. A good chunk of my Romans and my Celtic Cavalry were utterly destroyed by a very rough child. I got compensation monetarily from the mother - but the memory still burns.

:o Damn!

I would have strangled had a serious chat with that kid!

Last time he would ever get in my house.

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2020, 05:00:56 PM »
Wow.... it sounds like you handled this much better than I would have!  :o :o
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2020, 12:45:22 AM »
Johnp4000 I feel for you Wiegal, it is frustrating when people are so cavalier to other's processions. Did they at least offer to pay for the damage?

Nope. I forced them to pay. I got way more money out of it than the damaged items would cost, but the time used cannot be covered. 

Having followed your progress to date and greatly admired the results I read this latest update with a mixture of sadness at the damage and admiration at your resolution to remedy the situation....if sympathy could be boxed up I’d send you a truckload....as it is hang on in there as I have no doubt that “The Cursed Legion” will return not just repaired but more spectacular than ever  ;)

First - thanks for following! Always good to hear from you - also, yes thank you! The cursed legions will make a come back and much vengeance shall be made upon the enemies of Rome.

:o Damn!

I would have strangled had a serious chat with that kid!

Last time he would ever get in my house.

Wow.... it sounds like you handled this much better than I would have!  :o :o

Well - to add more to it, I came home, everything seemed fine at first. My dog came up to greet me. Then he and I went into the room where my models are, and we both sorta just stopped and it was a moment of staring at the destruction that had happened on the floor. Apparently the kid even propped himself up on a computer chair and reached up to grab "board games" (Mortal God Box Set), saw the models and ended up helping himself. He really crushed them good. Of course, I wasn't there to police it and the wife / friend of wife said the kid was playing Nintendo , but quit and must have got bored to go find something else to do. He wouldn't have been able to reach them, being short and 8 years old, but the chair was enough. I basically yelled really loudly, and kicked everyone out of the house, except the dog. My wife went after them to sorta sooth out the issue and told them that I demanded some compensation and I ended up getting $400.00 Canadian for them all. That's quite fair, I thought - but now I've forbade kids into my home and I think every time this friend comes over it is going to be very awkward.

Anyways, that's the long story :P All shall be well again.  I don't trust the kids, and have put better security on my doors and more foam padding!

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2020, 06:55:39 AM »
Seriously how on earth can an 8 year old kid cause that much damage!? It not like its a toddler. I can see (and excuse) a kid breaking one because he might not know how brittle they can be. But that much damage is deliberate.

I feel your pain.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2020, 07:08:24 AM »
Great shame indeed. Glad you've been able to recover, repair some of the models and even start building new ones.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2020, 12:27:57 PM »
A disheartening event, which unfortunately is, I do believe, in one form or another, a part of the hobby. Folks be they young or adult don't appreciate how much love and attention we put into our minis.

Yet...

You seem to have recovered admirably and are moving forward. Good on you!  :)

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2020, 02:19:55 AM »
While a stand or two might be damaged during a game the OMG look on the other player's face can make it a non event as accidents happen.  Malicious damage due to a child feeling ignored - I would make the parent pay for my painting time as well.  Definitely a problem with that kids perspective regarding others properties that their parent needs to address.

I remember a few pointed conversations with an older cousin about his kids destruction of my possessions (original Star Wars items) left accidentally over a weekend at a common vacation house.  He was a total git (as always) but their apologies were sincere so it wasn't quite as bad as your situation.  I hope you can fix everything as they were really fantastic.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline monkeylite

• Scientist
    • Moedlhafen
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2020, 09:05:56 AM »
Wow, that's a real shame.

I guess getting them to pay for the (seemingly deliberate) damage is punitive, but once you put your heart and soul into some minis they become priceless, imo.

Well done on the restoration project, though. Feels a bit like the irl rebuild after Cannae.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 09:18:32 AM by monkeylite »

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2020, 08:36:27 PM »
Shit.
Just cannot believe a child could be so destructive (yes I have had children and no they were never like that) and what on earth was the parent doing!
Glad you got compensation

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2020, 09:04:46 PM »
Shit.
Just cannot believe a child could be so destructive (yes I have had children and no they were never like that) and what on earth was the parent doing!
Glad you got compensation

Same here  :o My son (going on 4 years) likes to look at my minis, but I can't even fathom him doing that. No offense to the wife's friend here, but I just don't understand how a decently-parented kid would engage in such wanton property destruction. Like seriously... going to someone else's home, seeing their stuff, and deciding to BREAK ALL OF IT?!?

Man, I'm getting fired up just thinking about it again.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2020, 01:59:39 PM »
This is terrible news! 

Good luck on the re-build. 

I am not sure I would have the heart to do it myself.   
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline sgzleada71

• Scientist
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2020, 12:00:40 PM »
What's the legal age for crucifixion ?     I  think 8 is old enough     lol

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2020, 02:25:41 PM »
Kids like that have always existed, and they are not always wantonly evil.

Back in the 70s, I remember a stamp collection being completely wrecked by the nine year old son of a family friend - he went through two albums, removing every stamp and, with a dark blue felt tip pen, he drew a saltire cross on every stamp.  It must have taken him ages. That collection included six complete sets of mint WW2 German stamps, and it took years for my dad to replace most (but not all) of them.

Crucifixion is too harsh a punishment for a child so obviously on the spectrum - crucify the mother, and make the child watch.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2020, 03:26:27 PM »
Heart breaking event, my condolences. Your painting skills and ability to so quickly recover are impressive. Time is irrecoverable but you seem to have an excellent attitude for dealing with it.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/