Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:50:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Villers-Bocage Table design  (Read 7961 times)

Offline Hami

• Librarian
Re: Villers-Bocage Table design
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2024, 06:27:08 PM »
Fantastic project,are you going to build any removable sections that are destroyed ? Might increase the playing area and possible scenarios.

Found these old pics of Villiers Bocage,might be useful ? People often forget postcards as a good source of info.

https://www.communes.com/cartes-postales-anciennes-villers-bocage-14

Thanks for the link, I have been mainly using postcards from 1900 - 1930ish for references as the RAF done a pretty good job of bombing the village. The main issue I am having is the side streets leading off the high street, there is little to none. for these I have found postcards from other towns like Villers-Bocage and used them to kind of try make it work.

But t answer your question, there will be ruined versions of each building, what this might end looking like is the roof and first floor being damaged and easily swapped in and out or a completely ruined building. I have not thought that far a head yet. I will play a few games on the board, see where improvements can be made and then turn the village into ruins.

my only big concern is, does my old man have enough space for all these prints o_o

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2024, 08:07:20 AM »
my only big concern is, does my old man have enough space for all these prints o_o

I think I need a larger house.   :D
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2024, 07:23:27 AM »
Annoyingly it was not until I started putting all this out that I noticed I had not printed the Pharmacie building. This is now printing, and the bottom floor shows where it will be on the board.

For rough scale, the table is about 2.5ft x 2.5ft.

Once I print the Pharmacie, this will be the area complete. I will then only have the high street and two smaller streets running off it to print. All files have almost been completed.

Once complete, it will be the environment bits and pieces to design and print. Things like benches, spades, garden bits. The stuff that makes a village look lived in.

Original outline design:

3D Printed version:

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2024, 07:48:17 PM »
Wonderful! Printers really have revolutionised the hobby, this looks amazing :D

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2024, 09:49:24 AM »
That's looking amazing :-*
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2024, 11:27:42 AM »
Bloody hell! :o

That's an amazing set up! :-* :-*
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2024, 07:59:33 AM »
Thank you all for the positive feedback.

For reference purposes the below picture is the area of what I am aiming to achieve. The black outlines of the buildings are not accurate as per the postcards and war time photos but it allows use to get a feel for what I am doing.

Top left of the red box is the island where all the Cafes, bakery and pharmacy would have been, the road running on the right hand side of this block of buildings was Rue Currie where the hotel is placed.

I have designed the majority of the remaining buildings bar the most eastern ones within the red square.

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2024, 09:32:40 PM »
Superb
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2024, 07:03:28 AM »
I hope when this board is finished it gives at least a small feel of how hard it must have been during those times and now adays to fight in towns with all the small rooms, buildings not being laid out the same, doors leading to cellars etc.

The ruined version will mainly be first floor and roofs being bombed out with a few completely bombed out buildings. My reason for this is that it can then be easily changed and if I release the files people wont have to reprint whole new buildings, they can just print the damaged roofs etc if they wanted.

As I work away from my house during week and some weekends, I have only managed to take my smaller printer with me, so the printing has slowed down slightly.

As the printer has a smaller print bed, I am restricted to what buildings I can print. My plan was that I would do area by area and move up the board like that but some of the buildings are slightly to large for my small printer, which is annoying.

Anyway, I am still cracking on with this board and I have two more buildings to add and third being printed as I type this out.

This building is roughly placed bottom left hand of the red box. There are no historical photos or postcards that I can find of this area so this is my own design.

Rear with a sneaky little door in the tunnel

ground floor

First floor

No Highstreet is complete without shops, this building is again on the bottom left of the square but facing Rue Cure (the garage / shed, corner shop side of the street).

Reference photo, the building closest is to large for my smaller printer but will be printed next weekend.

Front

Side

Ground Floor

First floor
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 07:09:26 AM by Hami »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2024, 09:59:59 AM »
Loving the designs. The interiors will be a real bugger to paint though.

I recently built some of the 3D Valley prints. Some of them have drop in rooms which makes them a lot handier to get a brush to. Wasted effort with me though as I glaze all my buidings mine and seal them up.

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2024, 10:30:24 AM »
my plan for that was printing some wallpaper designs and sticking that to some of the walls. For the other ones I have an airbrush that will at least give me some coverage.

The pain will be doors and windows.

I was thinking of just leaving the floor plan as open but I also would like to use this for my modern wargames where breaching, hostage rescues etc are part of the games.

Offline modelwarrior

• Scientist
    • themodelwarrior
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2024, 11:47:50 AM »
Lots of free downloads if you search for dolls house wallpaper.Just re-scale it and print it off, works a treat. I have also used in the past, wood panel to cover half the wall. Its easy to make from either plasti card or just plain cardboard and it quickly covers half a wall. You can also find lots of free downloads for carpet,wood floor and tiles under dolls house stuff as well.

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2024, 12:32:27 PM »
Lots of free downloads if you search for dolls house wallpaper.Just re-scale it and print it off, works a treat. I have also used in the past, wood panel to cover half the wall. Its easy to make from either plasti card or just plain cardboard and it quickly covers half a wall. You can also find lots of free downloads for carpet,wood floor and tiles under dolls house stuff as well.

Thanks, I have been googling dolls house seamless etc. but I didn't think of rugs, carpets etc. this is my first board build so any little nuggets of info would be great.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2024, 06:53:07 PM »
Have a look in art and craft suppliers for Japanese paper. Plenty of designs you can use for wall paper, rugs etc. My local shop also sells textured bamboo paper that's useful for rush mats and the like.