Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:07:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Are there any other wargaming fora out there in 2018?  (Read 8551 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Are there any other wargaming fora out there in 2018?
« on: October 16, 2018, 07:34:42 PM »
Like the title suggests I've been looking for wargaming fora (forums ;)m ) and have hit a brick wall except The Miniatures Page, G£, Randomplatipus; I can't seem to find all that many. Especially fora that deal with wargaming generally and are not just based around one particular set of rules.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
D

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: Are there any other wargaming fora out there in 2018?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 07:56:21 PM »
The ones I lurk in the most are more figure and gaming forums, rather than genreal wargames ones.

http://forum.reapermini.com/ - mostly their stuff, although other things are allowed. Very busy forum
http://wampforum.com/Landing/index.html - more a painting forum, and has been very quiet for a while now
http://forum-of-doom.com/index.php - forum of doom - Heresy, Hasslefree etc. Pretty much deserted, as they seem to do more through social media sites now

But, having listed those, I'm stuck. Mantic has a forum dealing with their games, as do other companies, but I can't think of any general ones. Even in your list, the only one I've heard of is TMP o_o

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 08:01:47 PM »
There's the Wargamer's Forum...
Lots of old hands still rolling dice and painting their kit.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline FinnN

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 08:10:59 PM »
There's this one that's pretty active:

https://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 08:27:47 PM »
Not many left I fear mate,

I use here, TMP now and then, but mostly visit the wargamers forum (mostly 20mm) in English and two others in French.

http://www.thewargamersforum.com/index.php

When photobucket stopped hosting pics for forums it killed a lot of them.

cheers
Matt

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 08:50:15 PM »
I'm not sure it is photofookit's fault as such. I'd had issues with it before and already moved across to Imgur. It was terrible before they made the switch.

Forums seem to have struggled generally since it takes a bit more time and investment to interact with one really.

I think the biggest issue is that with things like facebook and twitter you can just point your phone, take a photo/vid and it be up in an instant. With forums you have to have something like Imgur, especially if you follow more than one, and then link the image. Some forums have limits on image sizes rather than auto adjust as well, admittedly fewer these days.

Personally I think it's a real shame. Social media is neither designed, nor capable of being a repository for people's work so it can act as a constant inspiration. I can freely come back and look at threads with inspiring work and know that they'll still be here tomorrow, or in a couple of hours if I want to revisit and refer to a painting technique or terrain build etc.

On facebook and twitter you get but a fleeting look before it disappears and is nigh on impossible to find again.

FWIW and I am sure a number of you are well aware, it's here and Randomplatypus for me these days. The only two I have found where navigation and interaction is good.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 09:33:53 PM »
Not any active ones that wouldn't be listed already.

Interestingly, Warhammer-Empire reorganized earlier this year in order to become more of a generalist (fantasy) forum. But there have been very few threads outside of Warhammer Fantasy and 40K. The gaming side is practically dead. Much quieter than here, but one of the old WHFB forums that is still alive, if couching. Mostly kitchen talk among a bunch of oldtimers.

Forums do have their lifespans. The smaller the circles, the faster people run out of things to share. Miniatuers are a bit different, because you will always buy and paint new ones. And pictures offer instant content.

I don't know why exactly, but newer social media platforms tend to eat up the older ones, even if they do not provide as good a place for thoughtful interaction and archiving the discussions. Like I hear Facebook nowadays is a place for 30- and 40- year olds, and younger wargamers actually use instant message platforms like WhatsApp or the like to communicate and share stuff.

Maybe people enjoy figures and gaming more f2f with friends/at clubs? They (we?) don't really need to talk as much over the web? Longer thoughts are made into blogs. And Youtube is full of introductions, guides and tacticas. Moving pictures and a live voice are so much more efficient in transferring meaning.

Very meandering thoughts, sorry. :)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 09:51:50 PM »
I don't know why exactly, but newer social media platforms tend to eat up the older ones, even if they do not provide as good a place for thoughtful interaction and archiving the discussions.

Excellent point. And I agree these new platforms have yet to adapt to the deeper needs of an active hobby.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 10:07:32 PM »
Excellent point. And I agree these new platforms have yet to adapt to the deeper needs of an active hobby.

Precisely why I was asking.... Facebook just doesn't cut the proverbial mustard! Colonel Mustard at that..... I'll get me coat..... ;)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 10:26:54 PM »
And MeeWee or WeeMee or IWeed, whatever is a complete unknown.

Give me phpbb with a lively community any day of the year.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 12:04:40 AM »
Many fora seem to have died or are about to.

Warlord killed theirs.
Flames of War - also dead.
Crooked Dice, went a long slow death but then, gone.
GW long gone.

GHQ Miniatures still has a forum but it’s gotten to be thin. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it taken down any time.

So many have gone to Facebook thinking that is the future.

I don’t use Facebook or any other “social media” so I just buy less and less all the time - those companies that I don’t hear about on here are just dust in the wind.

It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 04:47:11 AM »
I mainly use the Wargame Web Site LINK
https://www.thewargameswebsite.com/

I use the company website forums of Pendraken 10mm, Baccus 6mm and Kallistra 12mm

Outside of that, most of my gaming content is collect from a selection of the superb range of blogs out there. The blog community has suffered to the growth of FB, but frankly, those who regularly supported their blogs with substantial content …. still do! because the platform is so much better for that.

LINK to my blog … scroll down (past the list of my own popular posts) and look at the right column, there is a sub-menu there of the most recent material from a load of other blogs, it is all very varied and immersive.

https://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 04:49:11 AM by Normsmith »

Offline MartinR

• Scientist
    • The games we play
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 06:12:29 AM »
Like Norm, the only forums I visit with regularity are here, The Wargames Website and TMP, plus Frothers for a laugh. Otherwise it is mainly blogs, which are rich and varied.

FB just doesn't work very well as a discussion platform. It is fine for other things.
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 07:08:03 AM »
I much prefer the comradery that often developed over time in the traditional fora such as the WAB Forum, the Gentleman's Wargames Parlour (old version!), The Guild and of course LAF which, seeing as I've had a few years hiatus, is hopefully is still going strong(?).

D