Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:11:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Are there any other wargaming fora out there in 2018?  (Read 8544 times)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Are there any other wargaming fora out there in 2018?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 08:50:31 AM »
A still pretty active forum, but very, very niche, is the Bolter and Chainsword forum. It only covers Warhammer 40K, and then only the powerarmored armies such as (Chaos) Space Marines, Inquisition, Sisters of Battle and AdMech, even though nowadays they also have a small section for any other 40K faction. But what it lacks in scope, it more than makes up for in depth.

I was a moderator there for years, and it was hard work, as the traffic was many times that of the LAF (over 77000 members at the moment). We also moderated quite strictly to prevent any escalations and/or deviation from the subject matter. So it was a very dedicated place, where many really, really good miniatures and projects were displayed and discussed. All in a generally positive atmosphere too, though some might find it restrictive (but for those, there's always Frothers I suppose).

Eventually, I wanted to discuss other games and systems than just 40K, so left it for the LAF. But if you are interested in the subject matter, this is still the place to go :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 12:19:34 PM »
I can only echo what others have said. Not much in the way of general forums out there, and even fewer that are active in any good way. Personally I've called it a day on every forum I used to use except LAF because most are just not active enough. It's a bigger problem on more niche forums that are tied to specific games, genres or manufacturers but as others have pointed out social media has really replaced them. I think you'd be hard pushed to find anywhere outside of LAF that covers a wide range of genres and games, has a large and active user base, and stays on topic.

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 02:40:45 PM »
Warlords Forum is back up again now, has been for a little while https://www.warlordgames.com/community/ but has lost all of it's previous content and seems to be losing traffic to the facebook groups for it's games.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 03:34:55 PM »
the Gentleman's Wargames Parlour (old version!)
   :-* :'( :'( :'(
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 06:47:13 PM »
Warlords Forum is back up again now, has been for a little while https://www.warlordgames.com/community/ but has lost all of it's previous content and seems to be losing traffic to the facebook groups for it's games.

I was the very first moderator on the original forum.

It’s a pale shadow of the camaraderie and fellowship that the forum was then. Bolt Action destroyed the feel of the place with all the arguing over rules.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 10:05:06 PM »
The discussion forum on BGG is active but for figure wargamers it is mainly the figure/boardgame hybrid titles that are of interest.
There are still (despite the takeover) good discussions on various Yahoo Groups, but as with other sites already mentioned they are mainly ruleset specific (PanzerKorps, Spearhead and Crossfire groups are particularly active and the 3mm-1/600 wargaming group is very good).

TMP is in desperate need of a change in ownership. Sad to see it so badly mismanaged and turned from what it used to be to it's current dreadful state.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 10:35:31 PM »
Indeed TMP is just missing the flush button.

Hard to believe it was a go-to years ago

I guess “years ago” says it all ... :?

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2018, 11:20:41 PM »
Pendrakenforum.co.uk is an excellent one. Primarily related to the company's 10mm range, of course, but not exclusively, and there's a lot of good humour mixed with devoted gamer-headedness. Much recommended.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2018, 11:33:25 PM »
Pendrakenforum.co.uk is an excellent one. Primarily related to the company's 10mm range, of course, but not exclusively, and there's a lot of good humour mixed with devoted gamer-headedness. Much recommended.

That’s good to know; I just bought, and my gaming buddy bought, FPW forces for winter from Leon.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2018, 07:00:46 AM »
My other daily go-to forum along with LAF.  :D

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2018, 07:34:19 AM »
Indeed TMP is just missing the flush button.

Hard to believe it was a go-to years ago

I guess “years ago” says it all ... :?

Actual footage of the mutual self destruction of TMP and Frothers (circa 2013, colourised)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2018, 09:17:03 AM »

Actual footage of the mutual self destruction of TMP and Frothers (circa 2013, colourised)

lol lol lol

Ain't that the truth! ;) :P

Darrell.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2018, 11:18:28 AM »
I still go to TMP although I have to sneak in under a pseudonym being banned because Bill says I called him a liar when in fact I merely asked him for evidence to substantiate some mad assertion he’d made.

Anyway, there hasn’t been so much of the real silliness recently and if you “stifle” and “ignore” Tango01, you cut out 90% of the crap leaving the occasional nugget.

Doug

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2018, 11:28:02 AM »

lol ;D lol

Spot on.

So, a brief timeline of my online life as a wargamer:
The GW era - Warseer
Post GW era around the early 00's - TMP for one visit, Forum of Doom, Frothers, LAF, RandomPlatypus (the last two being the only two I use bar the odd pop to ammobunker).

I know people have said that the TMP is useful - I can tell you as someone who was first dipping their toe into non GW wargaming it is a vile pot of toxicity. I would never, ever recommend that place to any new gamer. The issues there spilled over to frothers when it became clear it couldn't be maintained to good enough and reliable enough levels and the forum crashed losing all of the threads and images previously there. Then a couple of large TMP purges led to the outcasts turning up there and the great sock-puppet wars.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I come online to do hobby stuff, I don't need the toxicity that daily life can throw at you. Racism, homophobia, trans-phobia, sexism . . . . I want a bit of escapism, to look at some brilliant work by other fellow hobbyists and generally feel a bit happier to come and indulge some time in something I love to do.

LAF has succeeded on that front and it should be applauded. Both those who contribute to it and the likes of the Prof who deserves two levels of recognition - creating the place, but also knowing when the best thing for it was to find someone else to run it. A hard decision to make, but yet vital if you know that you can no longer commit to it.

I faced the same decision this year when I stepped down from all roles of the football club I founded a decade ago. It's no easy decision.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline A Lot of Gaul

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2018, 11:53:13 AM »
LAF is my favourite general miniatures wargaming forum, followed by The Wargames Website. There are also a number of active fora for individual companies and rulesets that I visit regularly.
"Ventosa viri restabit." ~ Harry Field