Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:15:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dunedain Rangers  (Read 3064 times)

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
Dunedain Rangers
« on: October 16, 2018, 10:57:12 PM »
I’ve been looking up my GW LOTR figures and have realised just how small the strider figures are compared to the later metal rangers of the north and dunedain Rangers. The plastic rangers of middle earth do seem a bit more in scale with him but given the masks and Gondor style armour seem more ithilien than eriador.

I was wondering how others got on with this or what alternatives were used. I did think to use the weathertop strider as the pose conceals the relative size....though I’d be tempted to cut the sword down to bit above the hilt to reflect Narsil.

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
Re: Dunedain Rangers
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 02:10:10 AM »
So there was a scale creep after the Perry brothers quit?

Are you after Ranger type figures, or regular soldiers/guard?

If soldiers/guard, the old Numenorians/Men of the West in the Warriors of the Last Alliance set could be used. They're old, so likely of more fitting height when compared to the Strider figures. You could trim down their helmets, or swap the heads to other, maybe hooded ones. With more tinkering, you could replace the separate shields/arms with bare arms, bow arms, or alternative shields.

What in the armour of the Rangers of Middle Earth makes them more Gondor/Ithilien? The long & heavy loincloth? Lack of visible chainmail? Couldn't the rangers of the north also have scarfs over their lower face, especially if it's winter? To continue with the north/winter theme, what immediately comes to my mind is sculpting some fur linings on the long coats, and possibly even the hoods and cloaks.

If you would really like to see Aragorn tower over his rangers, and are not afraid of converting plastic or even metal, some historical lines could help you in finding fitting figures. Most historicals are about the LoTR scale or even a bit smaller.

Or you could try to find a more robust alternative for the LoTR Aragorn?

Don't know if any of this helps. I do like the LoTR figures, but mostly have experience with the older Gondor, Rohan and Shire lines. Never really held any northerners in my fingers to note the difference. The Aragorn from the plastic Fellowship box surely is rather small. Aren't the metal ones a bit larger? I've sold mine, so don't know anymore.

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 07:17:50 AM »
Hi Anselm, thank you for your thoughts - yes I’m looking at the Dunedain, not guard or retainers. I think part of this is that I really like the Viggo Mortensen version of Strider so I’d like to keep that figure and the style. That’s why I’m not totally sold on the plastic rangers - though yes, the scarf is not that off really - it’s the long groin guard that really shouts Gondor not eriador.

Of course the Groin Guard was a troop of Dwarves with a curious history....

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 04:40:03 PM »
Although I'm well aware of the scale issues in some of the line, I can't say I've noticed any problems with Aragorn and his buddies before. What poses did you consider? There are more than a few Aragorns around.

So there was a scale creep after the Perry brothers quit?
All mentioned figures are from when the Perry brothers were there, they only left during the Hobbit era (Michael sculpted Smaug, last "mini" he did there). Although Gary Morley did the Rangers of the North I think.
~Ad finem temporum~

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 05:23:04 PM »
I have the fellowship and weathertop Aragorn with a helms deep figure in reserve. Tbh I’m planning on having a closer look at the scale - I know I thought Aragorn seemed a bit smaller than my three metal rangers. Interesting the dunedain had a different sculptor; that may explain it

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 10:17:44 PM »
Mmmm I think these pics say that for height, go with the helms deep Aragorn

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 10:21:22 PM »
And the weathertop chap whose almost hugging the ground - he’s going for the line and they’ll be singing in Rivendell tonight!

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 09:46:33 AM »
@Coenus, I stand corrected. :)

Indeed there seem to be an interesting difference in the Aragorn sizes, or at least poses. Maybe that problem is fixed then?

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 04:32:50 PM »
I think it’s partly pose and partly the perry svelte style.

The weathertop figure is in a very dynamic, quite low to the ground pose so that does conceal things somewhat; if he was stood up, I think he’d still be a bit smaller than the others. The Amon Hen figure is far better - I painted the chainmail a dark gunmetal colour and that tones it down a lot; he lacks a cloak or coat and hood and while a greenstuff job could be done, it’s a shame to lose the detail on the figure.

Not forgetting distance from the figures in an actual game, clutter and general squint mode; those factors do help. I do think though that there are scale issues if you’re a perfectionist.

Perhaps a range of figures based on the planned TV series will sort this out....

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 10:53:48 PM »
And here is the solution - give a fireforge cloak to the Helms Deep figure

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 01:05:42 AM »
That worked nicely.

-Michael

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 08:13:12 AM »
Thank you! One of my mates commented that the figure seems more balanced with the added cloak. I was able to salvage the loop from the front of the cloak and glued it behind the head to look like a folded hood; I added a blob of plastic glue onto it which kind of added to the illusion. This Aragorn has some chain mail which I’ve painted dark with a bit of oily steel; I’d imagine that the rangers would wear some armour on occasion and this is pretty discrete....

The other rangers saw some work on weapons - I removed the spears and gave them swords and a torch. I’m not a fan of the spears, while the Grey Company had them, they’re not in my image of the patrolling rangers.

Offline Drunkendwarf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 09:28:03 AM »
From memory: the LotR games started as a 25mm game so the earlier miniatures are a bit smaller then the later ones. Look at the Rohan miniatures from the first box! It was then said it was on purpose: Games Workshop wanted people only uses the "official" mniniatures and not second party ones.

DJ

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 12:34:31 PM »
Good point and thanks for reminding me of it; I have to admit that I’m more annoyed by differently scaled figures than some of the issues others have. I like the Gondor troops and am not put off by the plate armour, for example. It may be because I started with the minifigs ME range which, had a certain charm but it’s main attraction was the fact that it actually existed.