Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:24:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 'Beware of the Leopard!' - 15mm Plastic Leopard 1s  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
'Beware of the Leopard!' - 15mm Plastic Leopard 1s
« on: October 17, 2018, 08:36:16 PM »
This week I have mostly been sticking placky Leopards together...

http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2018/10/17/beware-of-the-leopard-15mm-plastic-leopard-1-tanks/

Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: 'Beware of the Leopard!' - 15mm Plastic Leopard 1s
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 08:46:00 PM »
Like the Canadian one most  :D

4 Canadian Mechanized Brigade?

When I went to Gagetown, they still had the C2s, but of course we have nice new IIA6s now.

If you need any inspiration for Canadian stuff, let me know. I served recce in the 90s and have a trove of info on Canadian material.

And FYI the FoW book on the Canadians is full of inaccuracies and fantasy.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 09:05:55 PM »

When I went to Gagetown, they still had the C2s, but of course we have nice new IIA6s now.

If you need any inspiration for Canadian stuff, let me know. I served recce in the 90s and have a trove of info on Canadian material.

Cheers Grant!

Over the years I have gleaned a lot from a ubiquitous ex-RCD officer (There are some who call him 'Tim') and a lot of other Canadian veterans who haunt wargames discussion groups.  And Macksey's 'First Clash' was the book that gave me the Cold War wargaming bug in the first place.  Please do have a look at this and let me have it with both barrels :) : http://www.fireandfury.com/orbats/modcwcanadian.pdf

Yeah, I get that impression.  I don't play TY or FoW, but a lot of the TY stuff I've seen has me scratching my head.  M125s...?

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 09:44:12 PM »
Really thorough!

Good info there for the gamer. I read Macksey as part of my RESO training to be a recce officer (reserve).

One small change - the reserve regiments of armour were squadron sized, but were tasked with providing a troop to reg force units in the event of a conflict. So there would be a squadron training, and one ready-troop at any given time.

This also changed in the late 80s/early 90s with the doctrine known as Total Force Concept where whole companies and squadrons would deploy alongside their sister regiments.

This indeed came to fruition during Afghanistan for the infantry, whereas armoured troops and gunners were absorbed and assimilated for deployment by the reg force regiments in Afghanistan.

A bit later than what you’re shooting for, but aim high, expect fall of shot  ;)

Can’t wait to see more of your work, I’ve done 4 CMBG in micro scale before. And painted all the catalogue models for GHQ Miniatures that are Canadian. (As well as others... Op. Serval to Mali is another area I’m interested in!)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 05:22:51 AM »

Did you know Colonel Taylor when you were there, or was that a couple years before your time?

I was friends with his son while we worked together for about 4 years and there were many Stories.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 06:22:27 AM »
Really thorough!

Good info there for the gamer. I read Macksey as part of my RESO training to be a recce officer (reserve).

One small change - the reserve regiments of armour were squadron sized, but were tasked with providing a troop to reg force units in the event of a conflict. So there would be a squadron training, and one ready-troop at any given time.

This also changed in the late 80s/early 90s with the doctrine known as Total Force Concept where whole companies and squadrons would deploy alongside their sister regiments.

This indeed came to fruition during Afghanistan for the infantry, whereas armoured troops and gunners were absorbed and assimilated for deployment by the reg force regiments in Afghanistan.

A bit later than what you’re shooting for, but aim high, expect fall of shot  ;)

Can’t wait to see more of your work, I’ve done 4 CMBG in micro scale before. And painted all the catalogue models for GHQ Miniatures that are Canadian. (As well as others... Op. Serval to Mali is another area I’m interested in!)
Fantastic!  Thanks for that!  Did they have a full squadron's-worth of vehicles, or did they have to share the vehicles of the single active Troop (as seems to be common practice on this side of the pond nowadays)?

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 04:43:54 PM »
lovely, they are on my to do list... one thing I have noticed in regard of -1V and AS1 is that they lack the toolboxes. Differently from the general users both the Netherland and Australia had toolboxes on the side rather that just the the tools. It is a quite noticeable difference. Yet it appears that BF  did not catch it...
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 05:05:56 PM »
Nice paint jobs.

I had assumed that the Team Yankee miniatures game is another Retro-Ultramodern game based on the book (I found the GDW board game while looking for my Twilight 2000 stuff).

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 08:19:29 PM »
Fantastic!  Thanks for that!  Did they have a full squadron's-worth of vehicles, or did they have to share the vehicles of the single active Troop (as seems to be common practice on this side of the pond nowadays)?

There were actually enough vehicles for an almost regiment; we had enough Iltis for 2 squadrons, so 6 troops, plus HQ Sqn, along with various support vehicles. The Iltis was like VW Rabbit on steroids and cheap. Ours were built by Bombardier, and had drain plugs in the floor. The German version had a solid floor pan and would float for fording ... not ours.  o_o

Fram - I don’t recall meeting a Col. Taylor, but at Gaetown there were Colonels everywhere, and being the common combat arms officer school, very busy.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 08:48:19 PM »
There were actually enough vehicles for an almost regiment; we had enough Iltis for 2 squadrons, so 6 troops, plus HQ Sqn, along with various support vehicles. The Iltis was like VW Rabbit on steroids and cheap. Ours were built by Bombardier, and had drain plugs in the floor. The German version had a solid floor pan and would float for fording ... not ours.  o_o

Fram - I don’t recall meeting a Col. Taylor, but at Gaetown there were Colonels everywhere, and being the common combat arms officer school, very busy.
I had a ride in an Iltis at Kenora Militia Barracks during a cadet exchange in 1989! :) I didn't fancy going to war in one... I also had a ride in a Windsor Carrier that they'd restored.