Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 11:02:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fate of Immortal Miniatures Persians  (Read 2921 times)

Offline Cyrus the Great

• Librarian
Fate of Immortal Miniatures Persians
« on: October 18, 2018, 04:39:45 AM »
Warlord Games acquired Immortal Miniatures quite awhile back. Stephen May had, at least, CAD drawings of a projected plastic Achaemenid Persian range.
Warlord Games has cleared out the plastic Persians acquired from Wargames Factory. Does anyone know if there will be a green light for the Immortal Miniatures designed plastic Achaemenid Persian range?
With the advent of Men of Bronze within  8-12 months it would be worth considering, in addition to all the other Ancient rules already out there.

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
Re: Fate of Immortal Miniatures Persians
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 05:39:00 AM »
Hmm, curious question. No idea!   All I've seen and bought for myself are the Metal Persians they offer.

I am not all that impressed with Warlord's Persian metal ranges .
Wargames Factory was better with their Persian plastics in my opinion, but they're no longer in production sadly.   They are considerably bulkier models when put beside Immortal's hoplites. Companies always have different sizing for the same scale it seems.

Warlord released the Wargames Factory dark age plastics and did a bunch of re-boxing and relabelling .  I was expecting them to do the same with the Persians - they did after all make new Spartan general models and a Spartan starter army recently (and make some new Sacred Band of Thebe minis). 

Victrix also announced ancient Persian releases for their far off in future projects.  They're getting into Dark Ages first, however.   No idea what order they plan to do things in! 

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 05:36:07 PM »
I know I would buy some plastic Persians! 

The lack of plastics Persians seems like a big gap in the market  a clever business owner would want to exploit.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 09:30:22 AM »
either that... or there is a reason why there is a lack of plastic Persians... :D
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 07:43:38 PM »
either that... or there is a reason why there is a lack of plastic Persians... :D

Hush now!   ;)

I imagine (with no evidence) the best sellers for historicals are Romans, Hoplites, and WWII Germans not necessarily in that order.  These are the Space Marines of Historical games and probably are about 80% of all historical sales.

Everyone else is lucky to get any models made.   lol   

Offline Cyrus the Great

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 02:30:25 AM »
It seems a no brainer to me!

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 06:15:49 PM »
The Wargames Factory Persians were a bit rough.  Their usual unconventional take on human physiology and poor representation of draped clothing. They were quite useful for spares and the number of weapons and bits in the boxes was quite impressive.  A better quality take on the subject would seem to be a clear gap in the market. Armies that need large quantities of mediocre quality foot and horse would also seem to be commercially viable as well....

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 08:12:16 PM »
The Wargames Factory Persians were a bit rough.  Their usual unconventional take on human physiology and poor representation of draped clothing. They were quite useful for spares and the number of weapons and bits in the boxes was quite impressive.  A better quality take on the subject would seem to be a clear gap in the market. Armies that need large quantities of mediocre quality foot and horse would also seem to be commercially viable as well....

Aye, but in my opinion they're the best Wargames Factory released.  And it was all those options that made it.

One box could make
Archers
Sparabara
Immortals
Skirmishers (javelins or bowS)
Other dudes with axes and swords...

Not to mention the Cavalry came with long Kontos like pike/spears, could be horses, and armed with a variety  of weapon.

They were very, VERY versatile kits. Glad I bought tons of them!   They wont win any sculpting competitions, but if you want an army with all the early Persian elements before the Macedon invasion, they had it (save mercenary hoplites.. but that is easily remedied!)

Offline Cyrus the Great

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 08:33:30 PM »
The research Stephen May did was reflected in his CAD designs. It would be a shame if Warlord Games didn't take advantage of it. The Wargames Factory were a bit crude, but very versatile and with a good paint job they could look great! I think the Achaemenid Persians deserve better in plastic. I know I'm not alone.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 08:54:11 AM »
It's a shame Victrix didn't release the Persians, complementing their Greek/Macedonian line, before embarking on the Dark Age products, but I'm looking forward to them whenever they arrive. The wait, and increased experience in producing plastics, will probably make them even better.

How far along were May's designs? It would rather affect the investment Warlord has to make in order to bring them to life. Then again, if they are in the same scale as their Immortal Miniatures hoplites, they will scale badly with the Victrix range, as well as Warlord's own Macedonians...
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 09:38:27 AM »
The metal Warlord figs look rather weedy so I've held off buying them. The WF plastics had their faults but I liked them - apart from the giant kneeling archer lol

They deserve a reissue.

The miniature company do a decent range - designed to fit in with the Vendel/Sgt Major/whoever has them now. They're worth looking at.

http://www.theminiaturecompany.co.uk/28mm-Ranges/Persian/Spearmen/spearmen.html

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 12:11:32 AM »
The metal Warlord figs look rather weedy so I've held off buying them. The WF plastics had their faults but I liked them - apart from the giant kneeling archer lol

They deserve a reissue.

The miniature company do a decent range - designed to fit in with the Vendel/Sgt Major/whoever has them now. They're worth looking at.

http://www.theminiaturecompany.co.uk/28mm-Ranges/Persian/Spearmen/spearmen.html

Black Tree Design also has nice Persians.  Not plastic. But work great with Wargames Factory.

Offline Cyrus the Great

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 04:33:17 AM »
It's a shame Victrix didn't release the Persians, complementing their Greek/Macedonian line, before embarking on the Dark Age products, but I'm looking forward to them whenever they arrive. The wait, and increased experience in producing plastics, will probably make them even better.

How far along were May's designs? It would rather affect the investment Warlord has to make in order to bring them to life. Then again, if they are in the same scale as their Immortal Miniatures hoplites, they will scale badly with the Victrix range, as well as Warlord's own Macedonians...

May's designs were vapor ware. Warlord would still have a large investment to bring it to life.

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 08:58:09 PM »
Just out of interest guys,

I've got a couple of boxes of infantry and one of cavalry unpainted and one box fully built up, going for a song!
The kneeling guy has been disguised by having him in the front rank holding the sparabara, which works quite well to disguise his large stature.
As mentioned above, a ton of spares and not bad for the money.
Agreed Victrix are better, but I actually think these are quite good.

Anybody interested just drop me a line....
Tim
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!