Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:54:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686462
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Where should I list stuff for sale with a reasonable chance of a sale?  (Read 5682 times)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Where should I list stuff for sale with a reasonable chance of a sale?

What am I doing wrong here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=111288.0?

I know it's hit or miss, but not even receiving apathetic enquiries about postage or whether I still have the items, followed by silence, lol >:( for months. I'm not charging top Dollar and mentioned at one point to being amenable to reasonable offers. :? If everything sells, I stand to make almost $30, factoring in Paypal's fees, which will go towards partially funding a new project. Part of me thinks there's not much demand for plastics, despite claims on other boards. 

USPS First Class to Europe is ~$13.50 for anything weighing from 1-8 ounces, might've killed off potential buyers, but it's less than what I'm charged when I used to order from Ludik Bazaar.  :?

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 02:34:39 AM by Condottiere »

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: Where should I list stuff for sale with a reasonable chance of a sale?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 08:08:41 PM »
I experience frustration at the board sometimes too.

Your ad is fine, you just haven’t found your buyer yet.

I’ll often advertise postage included so that buyers get a all-in price.

In the end it’s a crapshoot.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 08:29:29 PM »
Could just be, people don’t like the product.
I think the viking set is the first and best of the GB plastic boxes. Several of the others, I don’t rate.
It’s a widely available, and not especially desirable item.
I guess, as Grant says, the right buyer just hasn’t happened along yet.
That said, UK or European buyers are unlikely to want to pay 13.50 postage for something they can buy new, post free, at any wargames convention.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 08:41:07 PM »
US to UK postage is really high currently. And this is effectively doubling the cost of your stuff.

The gripping beast sprues are readily available on eBay for under £6 including postage. And I guess for similar prices in Europe. So unfortunately you are down to US buyers.

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 09:51:02 PM »
I've had very little luck selling stuff here too.

Seems people want items at 25% of retail, or less.  If you price above that here, it's hard to sell, unless in high demand, and very rare (OOP).

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 09:52:06 PM »
Postage rates are going up again in 2019, so it will only get worse for international and domestic shipping.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 10:12:52 PM »
My advice would be to give them away to some street urchin sitting outside a GW store, they will either sell them for some class A or hopefully they just might take an interest in historical wargaming and join the forum. 

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 11:35:02 PM »
Suck it up and sell on eBay  ;D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 12:30:05 AM »
I experience frustration at the board sometimes too.

Your ad is fine, you just haven’t found your buyer yet.

I’ll often advertise postage included so that buyers get a all-in price.

In the end it’s a crapshoot.
How about the Warlord legionaries - $0.75/figure too much? Years ago, I acquired individual sprues and bits from Warlord for converting Rackham Elven Quarterstaffers and Romanizing Mantic Dwarf Crossbowmen, when Dogs of War were limping along, but everything's still in the planning stage.  :-[ Thought of doing something with the legionaries, but I now want to replace 'em with Polybian versions from Victrix and this manufacturer's products are hard to find in the US, unless you're into Napoleonics.

The problem with shipping included, is that if I have to ship internationally, postage would cancel out the price of the product.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 12:43:29 AM »
US to UK postage is really high currently. And this is effectively doubling the cost of your stuff.

The gripping beast sprues are readily available on eBay for under £6 including postage. And I guess for similar prices in Europe. So unfortunately you are down to US buyers.
I noticed this recently on eBay, when looking for Victrix stuff, as this company charges ~£10+ :o to ship one box to the US. The eBay sellers who do offer individual sprues tend to offer the rip-off GSP method, so I was hoping to be messaged by several Americans, so far nothing and even tried TWW, since most TMP exiles go there.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 12:50:09 AM »
I've had very little luck selling stuff here too.

Seems people want items at 25% of retail, or less.  If you price above that here, it's hard to sell, unless in high demand, and very rare (OOP).
When was still able to post on TMP, had to deal with several flippant folks complaining about the price, yet never offering an alternative number. One guy said he'd pay only for shipping, but this was doing me a favor. lol Funny, the same sorts always railed against universal healthcare...

If it's rare and OOP, I'd offer it in an eBay auction.

As for USPS rates going up...

>:( >:( >:(

The postman doesn't even bother showing up when it's raining slightly...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 01:06:12 AM by Condottiere »

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 01:00:20 AM »
Suck it up and sell on eBay  ;D
I'd rather put it up on Craigslit, for the bonus kinky action... lol

Thought of using the $30+ earnings to partially fund one of these foldable leather dice trays...

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=leather+dice+tray&ref=pagination&page=1
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 01:04:10 AM by Condottiere »

Online Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 01:04:11 PM »
My advice would be to give them away to some street urchin sitting outside a GW store, they will either sell them for some class A or hopefully they just might take an interest in historical wargaming and join the forum.

Brillaint!  lol lol lol

Darrell

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 01:48:25 PM »
If you're selling something with a high postage cost, there's obviously no point selling something that isn't of a relatively high value. These sprues are fairly common to be honest and for example I sold 3 of them for £12 inc postage not so long back. This trading area is not the place to sell if you're looking to make more than a token amount of your initial investment back, it's more like a yard sale really. You'll get some pocket change, but probably not enough to fold unless you're selling high value or lots of stuff.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 05:02:04 PM »
If you're selling something with a high postage cost, there's obviously no point selling something that isn't of a relatively high value. These sprues are fairly common to be honest and for example I sold 3 of them for £12 inc postage not so long back. This trading area is not the place to sell if you're looking to make more than a token amount of your initial investment back, it's more like a yard sale really. You'll get some pocket change, but probably not enough to fold unless you're selling high value or lots of stuff.
Respectfully, your post comes across as rather parochial in ignoring the exchange rate, though not as much as those on the Grand Alliance Community...

Assuming the buyer was in the UK and the fact that if individually available, each sprue is around £5.00, even knocking off £2.00 from each one, you still ended up with around $16. My prices aren't that different than what's on eBay: BiN Gripping Beast 10 man sprues for $7.50 - $11.00 and 5 man ones for $4.50 - $8.00, excluding postage, especially the rip-off Global Shipping Program. With postage included, I end up subsidizing the buyer's shipping cost by $5.50 on each sale or making only $2.50 (~£1.78) if selling two and don't forget Paypal fees. Never expected to get most of my investment back, but $2.50 isn't even a token amount, even by yard sale prices, more like the price of a cheese slice or a plastic GW figure's arm or a leg in a bits store.

These sprues might be common over there, but I don't think they are here, as I haven't seen any sold individually and the price of a boxed set is ranges from $30-$36. Thanks to the USPS, I'm limited to the North American market...