Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:16:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689752
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Where should I list stuff for sale with a reasonable chance of a sale?  (Read 5717 times)

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
Re: Where should I list stuff for sale with a reasonable chance of a sale?
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2018, 01:08:45 PM »
The transatlantic shipping costs are killing these days. Plus there's always the chance customs will put their own value on your toys so you'll have to pay duties before you can even open the parcel and then start the endless journey of getting the paid duties back from them. Frankly it's not worth the hassle. I stopped buying outside of Europe a long time ago for those reasons.  :?
Leadhead

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2018, 01:33:08 PM »
I'm with McDane.

I'd also add that facebook market place or some of the facebook sale groups can be a good place to flog stuff off.  I don't think it is price per-se.

RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2018, 08:35:01 PM »
Selling stuff is too much bother these days unless your getting rid of GW stuff on Ebay. In which case you should have a virtually 100% success rate (unless your the type to stick the old Warhammer Empire plastics on for about £50 for 10 guys).

I have a load of 20mm Elhiem, Redbox figures and Westfalian Hobbits I think I want to drop but it's just not worth it trying to flog them.

In a way it does speak to the state of the Hobby and Business/Economy in general. Everything (like postage) is too prohibitive and people are having to tighten their belts in times uncertain. A few years ago it was pretty much possible to sell anything without much issue (average wait time was about a week). When I was back in Uni first time around (7 years ago now) I was practically whizzing through stuff.

It makes me wonder what people who make this their career selling this stuff are going through.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2018, 09:43:37 PM »
I hear that... about 10 years ago or so is when I collected a lot of stuff in earnest. Those were the glory days when I could get over 1kg of lead shipped from the southern us to Canada for like $5... it was actually cheaper to ship from the US to Canada than to ship within Canada in those days! I have certainly slowed those sorts of purchases significantly in the last few years (though an overflowing hobby space had some contribution as well...)
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2018, 10:16:12 PM »
I hear that... about 10 years ago or so is when I collected a lot of stuff in earnest. Those were the glory days when I could get over 1kg of lead shipped from the southern us to Canada for like $5... it was actually cheaper to ship from the US to Canada than to ship within Canada in those days! I have certainly slowed those sorts of purchases significantly in the last few years (though an overflowing hobby space had some contribution as well...)

I can totally relate. It used to be quicker and cheaper for me to buy minis from the states and have them shipped to the U.K only 3 years ago then to buy it within the U.K, with only one or two exceptions. I remember I bought some models from somewhere in Northern England, and at the same time bought some figures that travelled from the Mid west U.S and the latter got here faster. Then suddenly Customs charges were being slapped on everything, and after the pound dropped following a certain referendum followed by a spike in postage charges it pretty much put a stop to my routine purchases from the states.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2018, 02:02:56 AM »
Since you are US-based, have you tried bartertown.com? Most of the users there are from USA and Canada. I think much of the buying and selling is moving towards FB these days, but I have used bartertown lots in the past, before the age of unreasonable small packet postage.  ;)
:o :o :o

Had forgotten about Bartertown after someone suggested it years ago, but ended up selling the items on TMP, so forgot to register. Both sprues sold at $10! :) I'll start listing more stuff over there, like genuine Rackham bases...

Thanks