Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:08:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685059
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Where should I list stuff for sale with a reasonable chance of a sale?  (Read 5670 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Where should I list stuff for sale with a reasonable chance of a sale?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 05:12:13 PM »
I sold 3 sprues for £12 - call it $16 more or less - free UK post.

You're selling 2 sprues for the same amount, plus postage.

That's probably why mine sold more quickly - an extra sprue and no postage fee. Or maybe I just got lucky. If you're not happy to sell so cheaply, that's fair enough, but then Ebay is probably a better bet for you or perhaps a trade stand at a show where there's no postage fees involved.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 06:42:15 PM »
...sell on eBay  ;D

I just use Ebay.  Honestly, selling in a forum even as popular as LAF your audience will be tiny.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2018, 07:36:50 AM »
Whenever I've sold anything on here I've always priced very low, pretty much making a significant loss (but that was money I spent ages ago so it's 100% profit for today! :D). I see selling stuff on the LAF as offering mates' rates, more or less, as really you're circumventing a lot of fees you'd be paying out on eBay. Anything worth quite a bit I tend to put on eBay as even with the charges you can make more than what I'd be comfortable asking people here for (or would expect anyone here to want to pay).

Obviously, I'm quite wreckless when it comes to clearing out old projects - I'm more interested in seeing them gone to a good home than making lots of money (a bit of cash if better than the zero cash they earn me by sitting in a pile in the spare room). Several bouts of this has taught me to be way more discerning with my purchases. :D

As for your sale, well, there are a few box breakers on eBay who sell sprues cheaply nowadays. I've found plastic sprues to be very hard to sell on, I usually end up throwing them in as extras with other stuff or just giving them away locally. Full boxes tend to do better, but again I've often priced at about 30-35% off retail even for those.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 07:39:49 AM by Gibby »

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2018, 02:38:10 PM »
Have you considered a local gaming convention with a flea market or Bring & Buy?  As previously noted most folks buying from the Bazaar are either looking for a good deal or have found that rare 'must have' to supplement a project.

Local conventions have an advantage that no postage fees are involved, though some do charge table fees or a %, in addition to the normal browsers there is a chance that 'little Johnny' will see what you have, at a reasonable price and pester Daddy into buying it for him.

Special items I would push onto the Bazaar, the rest I'd accumulate until there is enough to warrant a table at a local Con.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 03:57:55 PM »
Have you considered a local gaming convention with a flea market or Bring & Buy?  As previously noted most folks buying from the Bazaar are either looking for a good deal or have found that rare 'must have' to supplement a project.

Local conventions have an advantage that no postage fees are involved, though some do charge table fees or a %, in addition to the normal browsers there is a chance that 'little Johnny' will see what you have, at a reasonable price and pester Daddy into buying it for him.

Special items I would push onto the Bazaar, the rest I'd accumulate until there is enough to warrant a table at a local Con.
Despite another user's claims and averseness to exchange rates , the prices aren't high at all, on par and even cheaper than eBay BiN listings Why should I walk away with just £1.78, after paying for a buyer's international shipping on 2 sprues, or earning zero, actually a loss of £4.21 on single sprue sales? The Warlord legionaries are $0.75 or ~£0.57 each - how is 57p not a deal? If it weren't for the international shipping costs, I'd still be making pre 2015 sales...

I used to offer shipping included for domestic buyers only, but dropped it years ago, after some started dictating to me their postage preferences...

It's not like I could hop on a train from Weybridge station for adventures in the Greater London area. lol  :'( Just trying to get from Brookline to parts of Cambridge, involves switching lines and occasionally buses, on an antiquated system prone to delays, with journeys taking up to an hour and back, despite the small area - it's 15-20 minutes if I had a car, factoring in traffic. AFAIK, aside from video game and anime events, there are no local gaming conventions.   

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2018, 05:30:09 PM »
Whenever I've sold anything on here I've always priced very low, pretty much making a significant loss (but that was money I spent ages ago so it's 100% profit for today! :D). I see selling stuff on the LAF as offering mates' rates,
Pretty much the same for me , I started selling my stuff off in the summer some went to a carboot an went for peanuts , some I’ve binned , 2 lots I have sold on Facebook .working all week makes it a nightmare and means I’ve been less motivated to complete the task ac I like to get postage quotes before I place for sale as it saves time an trips to a post office .

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2018, 05:36:37 PM »
Whenever I've sold anything on here I've always priced very low, pretty much making a significant loss (but that was money I spent ages ago so it's 100% profit for today! :D). I see selling stuff on the LAF as offering mates' rates
Pretty much the same for me , I started selling my stuff off in the summer some went to a carboot an went for peanuts , some I’ve binned , 2 lots I have sold on Facebook .working all week makes it a nightmare and means I’ve been less motivated to complete the task ac I like to get postage quotes before I place for sale as it saves time an trips to a post office .
Have you tried a digital scale? It doesn't have to be a specialized postage version. Saved me from having to go back and forth to the post office...

Offline MeridarchGekkota

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2018, 05:49:08 PM »
Lead Adventure seems to be a majority European forum and therefore postage is too high to make purchases from America worth it.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2018, 06:24:02 PM »

Have you tried a digital scale? It doesn't have to be a specialized postage version. Saved me from having to go back and forth to the post office...
No not got one , I’m just going to take pics ,Jiffy bag them in their related groups get post costs an sell them that way ,only 2 trips to post office then and I can get me mum to post them off while I’m working an she goes to town on market day 😂

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2018, 06:59:34 PM »
Brillaint!  lol lol lol

Darrell

Well both choices end with addiction  o_o

Gareth

Offline petercooman123

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2018, 07:29:34 PM »
I have a sales thread running for the moment and have a few sales break off on the prie of postage already. It just happens, as postage is too expensive these days.

I just take it on the chin and go on. anything sold is something not lying around unloved so not too fussed about it.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2018, 12:19:08 AM »
I have a sales thread running for the moment and have a few sales break off on the prie of postage already. It just happens, as postage is too expensive these days.

I just take it on the chin and go on. anything sold is something not lying around unloved so not too fussed about it.
Exactly...

I'm not that bothered by it, even though it's taking up space, but profits weren't my motivation, just enough to contribute slightly to buying new stuff - for awhile, I mentioned amenable to reasonable offers in the listings. My concerns were addressed on page one: I'm not doing anything wrong. Even though USPS First Class International's price is approaching almost the level of what French and German sellers are charging, this hasn't dissuaded people from ordering from both sides of the Atlantic: if someone needs/wants something, they'll pay for it and what's considered a bargain depends on the person. I have noticed that the sales threads are moving really slowly this year, compared with 2017, where it would take a month and a half to be pushed off the front page to eventual deletion, it now takes over two months - similar situation on other fora.   

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2018, 03:51:26 AM »
It pains me to suggest this, but listing on Facebook seems to be a very good option these days. A lot of stuff gets snapped up very quickly in my experience - this is in Australian groups that have less of a market compared to US groups.

Offline petercooman123

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2018, 05:15:50 AM »
Yes facebook has its merits, BUT it appears to me it is more specialized.There's a group for oldhammer, a group for mordheim, a group for historicals etc...

Having everything in one thread keeps it organized better.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2018, 07:29:06 PM »
Since you are US-based, have you tried bartertown.com? Most of the users there are from USA and Canada. I think much of the buying and selling is moving towards FB these days, but I have used bartertown lots in the past, before the age of unreasonable small packet postage.  ;)
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres