Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:36:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689823
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cheka Flag  (Read 2267 times)

Offline ecwcaptain

• Librarian
Cheka Flag
« on: January 27, 2019, 05:29:50 PM »
Not sure if this was covered before (and I did not turn up anything with a search), but what kind of flag design would the Cheka carry during the RCW? That is, if any, at all.

Note that if unknown, then I can just go with a star or some such, on red field, as generic.

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
Re: Cheka Flag
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 06:58:11 PM »
The Cheka were an internal agency. What troops they had were used on internal fronts -- peasant rebellions etc. They did fight a few times when the Whites penetrated deeply, especially in defence of cities, but not as a matter of practice. The Red Army was tasked with external fronts, and there's no way the Cheka would subordinate their men except in an emergency. And because they only turned up in emergencies, they wouldn't necessarily even have a flag.

They also didn't get special troops -- just ordinary recruits. They had no military training branch anyway, so how would they train them? Often their troops were *worse* than front line soldiers, who at least were getting combat experience. Desertion was a major problem.

They were not a RCW version of the WWII NKVD.

They didn't even have a uniform (the first one was 1922, I believe). And the units of men in black leather is a fantasy. That's the Chekists themselves, not their troops.

When the Cheka needed real muscle they often used Internationalist units or ChON. Again on internal fronts (but Ungern-Sternberg etc were internal fronts after the main White armies were liquidated). Just paint one of those.

Internationalists often had slogans in their home language with the usual Soviet iconography. ChON likewise, with a factory or workplace reference commonplace.

(Cue outrage that the Cheka troops were rubbish. But read about the pathetic performance of the internal troops to suppress the Tambov and Makhno rebellions -- they had to call in regular Red Army to get it done.)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 07:10:43 PM by Mark Plant »

Offline MGH

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 08:49:27 PM »
I bet they were pretty good at executing people though!

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 03:23:08 AM »
Largely agree with Mark. The troops of the Cheka were no different from the rest of the Red Army. With some rare exceptions - for example, the 1st auto-combat detashment named after the VCIK (All-Russian Central Executive Committee).
The parts of the CHON mentioned by Mark are military-party units, assembled from local communists and sympathizers with them. Basically - armed horrible and having minimal combat training. Motivated local militia.

But the banner of this units still had:

64 separate battalion of the troops of the Cheka

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 03:30:09 AM »
I bet they were pretty good at executing people though!

I think they were in no way inferior to the punitive detachments and counterintelligence of the White Guards.

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 05:43:19 AM »
That is one nice photograph Cuprum. You never cease to amaze. Not only a flag, but a band as well!

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 08:25:31 AM »
I'm glad that I can provide something to interested  :)

Offline Mike Blake

• Scientist
  • Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 01:54:11 PM »
Fascinating. And what an amazing photo.

Cuprum - are you going to/do you do the flags in your series on your website? Surely you should???

Mike
Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 02:42:16 PM »
 Alas, I do not know what the flip side of this banner looked like. I do not want to do fantasy  ;)

Offline Mike Blake

• Scientist
  • Size Does Matter! - 54mm - The One True Scale
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 03:32:46 PM »
Understood, of course. Perhaps you could just leave it plain and explain the problem - and offer a free one to anyone who has the answer?  ;)

Offline ecwcaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 08:54:16 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I was already aware of the lower combat ability of the unit (i.e., thugs), but just curious about whether they had a flag or not.

With regard to the black leather, yeah, unfortunately, I picked up a 12-figure unit of them already painted, in black leather. Oh well, they must get used somewhere!  ;)

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 05:16:47 AM »
Do not worry - it will not be a mistake. Leather uniforms were quite widely used and were very popular because of their practicality during the Civil War in the Red Army. There are many photos and references to its use.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 07:51:01 AM »
With regard to the black leather, yeah, unfortunately, I picked up a 12-figure unit of them already painted, in black leather. Oh well, they must get used somewhere!  ;)

Ditto