Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:10:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689754
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: North stars Celtic fantasy figures  (Read 4876 times)

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
North stars Celtic fantasy figures
« on: October 19, 2018, 05:54:59 AM »
I am just wondering about the origins of this range. In other threads I have seen them referred to as ex alternative armies. But the style of the figures looks very different from Erin range. The few humans that I have seen apart from the lovely Celtic hero. Have the cricket bat swords and pseudo kilts of the Celtos range that Brigade now sell. The North Star facebook page mentions that they were last available in 1997. I think this sounds about right for the Celtos releases. I am just wondering if this is an earlier range that John produced but was only available for a limited time?
Another thing does anybody know how big the range is?

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Re: North stars Celtic fantasy figures
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 01:21:39 PM »
Harlequin was the company that made them originally. They are very nice, but kind of 2D flat, almost monopose. I think they have their place, especially if you are looking to rank up.
I think the line is fairly large, but they haven't released everything in the new launch yet.

My favorite:

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 01:46:23 PM »
Yeah, the sculpts have been bounced about between various companies I think and I certainly bought some under the Harlequin or Alternative Armies label back in the 90's. I read somewhere they were originally created to be part of an official 2000AD Slaine range that never got off the ground, which is why you have some very familiar imagery. It wasn't a huge range from what I recall (NorthStar are planning to release more of them later on), but the models are certainly nice enough and will appeal to fans of Slaine or the whole fantasy Celtic legend thing. The Celtos range were out at around the same time I think, but the Harlequin/AA models are more understated with better (to my mind) proportions.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 09:19:23 PM »
Ahh interesting, i had never thought of harlequin.
I know the alternative armies range well as they came out when I worked in Mac's models. Always liked them but never bought until now. Not sure why.
Was quite excited when the celtos range was first mooted. Less so when we clocked the cricket bat swords and motorcycle helmets. I am more forgiving of them now and think they are great for a different fantasy force although still hate the shields.
The North star owned figures seem to be somewhere between the two.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 09:13:31 PM »
I’m quite excited these are available again. I wonder if they mix size-wise with Copplestone’s old barbarians I think Mirliton now sell? And by the bit are the Mirliton versions good casts?

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 10:50:31 PM »
Hello

I know the alternative armies range well as they came out when I worked in Mac's models.

Mac's Models! I was probably the one trying to sell you the Alternative Armies range, I was the telesales chap for them back then.

The figures I've got have nothing to do with Alternative Armies.

They were first made by Fantasy Forge from Edinburgh. Designed by a young Roy Eastland in the early '90s. They were going to be a licensed Slaine range. You can see Bisley's influence in the figures. Something went wrong, the license fell through, FF went bust and re-emerged as Grendel etc etc, but they sold the range to Harlequin Miniatures before going bust. Harlequin sold them for a while, but shelved them when they decided they were just going to make 'Not Warhammer' figures on slotta bases from then on. The range got passed onto Wargames Illustrated in the late '90s as payment for outstanding advertising invoices they couldn't afford to pay for. They then sat in a cellar for a decade.
A chap called Spencer Warner, working for Static in Glasgow, through myself bought the moulds from WI. They got shipped to me to contract cast, but just as he was starting to put them into production he sadly left us. Cancer got him. I left the moulds gathering spider webs for another 5-6 years. This year I dusted them off, had a look what's there and will do a limited run of them.

The more fantasy parts of that Fantasy Forge range  (the Fomorians, witch, wizard) we've selling for a while here: http://northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=155&cat=369&page=1

There you have it.

There was a 'Slaine' figure, but that was part of a cease and desist order from 2000AD to Fantasy Forge in the 90s, the mould for that figure isn't with us. I've still got one in it's Fantasy Forge blister (I don't know why I kept it to be honest) but that's it.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 02:41:03 AM »
Aha you obviously did a good job as Mac's had a wall of alternative armies stuff!

Aye I couldn't see the Alternative armies connection as know the stuff pretty well. Off course fantasy forge, they somehow slipped through the cracks in my memory so thanks for the reminder. I actually visualise the figures in the shop but had thought that was Celtos which actually was much later.
My first order is waiting at home for me seemingly so will get more ordered up when back.
Looking forward to seeing more of the range.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 08:17:03 AM »
On a vaguely related note. We are currently down sizing. While emptying s cupboard the wife found issue 1 of Harbinger magazine. Starting on page 12 is an article called " how to paint figures the Celtos way". Thought that was such a strange coincidence.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 08:34:27 AM »
Hello

Mac's Models! I was probably the one trying to sell you the Alternative Armies range, I was the telesales chap for them back then.

The figures I've got have nothing to do with Alternative Armies.

They were first made by Fantasy Forge from Edinburgh. Designed by a young Roy Eastland in the early '90s. They were going to be a licensed Slaine range. You can see Bisley's influence in the figures. Something went wrong, the license fell through, FF went bust and re-emerged as Grendel etc etc, but they sold the range to Harlequin Miniatures before going bust. Harlequin sold them for a while, but shelved them when they decided they were just going to make 'Not Warhammer' figures on slotta bases from then on. The range got passed onto Wargames Illustrated in the late '90s as payment for outstanding advertising invoices they couldn't afford to pay for. They then sat in a cellar for a decade.
A chap called Spencer Warner, working for Static in Glasgow, through myself bought the moulds from WI. They got shipped to me to contract cast, but just as he was starting to put them into production he sadly left us. Cancer got him. I left the moulds gathering spider webs for another 5-6 years. This year I dusted them off, had a look what's there and will do a limited run of them.

The more fantasy parts of that Fantasy Forge range  (the Fomorians, witch, wizard) we've selling for a while here: http://northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=155&cat=369&page=1

There you have it.

There was a 'Slaine' figure, but that was part of a cease and desist order from 2000AD to Fantasy Forge in the 90s, the mould for that figure isn't with us. I've still got one in it's Fantasy Forge blister (I don't know why I kept it to be honest) but that's it.

Wow thanx for the info. I would love to see that Slaine mini. Im a massive fan

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 09:22:42 PM »
There's one odd thing though: One set of the Eastland celts ended up with Renegade Miniatures, they were a character pack in their celts range while the rest were done for Renegade by someone else (Saleh?).
I never understood if those figures were ex-Fantasy Forge or unreleased Eastland greens intended to be part of the Slaìne range.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 11:20:57 PM »
Nick,

Do you have the Celtic Orcs that Harlequin sold for a while? I'm not sure they were from the same range though.

These ones: http://marbles.frothersunite.com/2001archive/01Jun/if1001.jpg
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 11:22:40 PM by twrchtrwyth »
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 08:55:43 AM »
Wow thanx for the info. I would love to see that Slaine mini. Im a massive fan

I painted this one for a mate a couple of years ago:

Happily, I also managed to secure one for my own OGAM Celt warband shortly after - they do show up on Ebay from time to time.  :)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 12:43:31 PM »
Nick,

Do you have the Celtic Orcs that Harlequin sold for a while? I'm not sure they were from the same range though.

These ones: http://marbles.frothersunite.com/2001archive/01Jun/if1001.jpg

They weren't Harlequin. Maybe they were released under the name Black Tree Design. Or are they Alternative Armies?

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 02:18:47 PM »
They weren't Harlequin. Maybe they were released under the name Black Tree Design. Or are they Alternative Armies?
Black Tree is very likely as I'm sure they weren't AA.