Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:35:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686451
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: More pre-gunpowder kit in Pulp Alley?  (Read 3101 times)

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
More pre-gunpowder kit in Pulp Alley?
« on: October 19, 2018, 08:46:20 PM »
For "Papyrus Alley" and similar settings, how might shields be represented in Pulp Alley?

Moreover, could crossbows be Single-Shot, Shoot = Ballistic Skill + Might, able to run and shoot while loaded, or would that make them too powerful?

And, for mighty archers, could they shoot once per turn at Ballistic Skill + Might, when Ready?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:47:55 PM by WuZhuiQiu »

Offline Dangerboy

• Bookworm
Re: More pre-gunpowder kit in Pulp Alley?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 01:20:13 AM »
You could apply Single-Shot from the Optional Settings to cover ranged combat in the setting as a whole.

Shields basically help defend against Shoot and Brawl, so +1d to Dodge or Cover that works against both sounds appropriate. Building kits for bows and crossbows is a little trickier, and depends on how you see them fitting into the setting. Something like Eagle-Eyed for bows and Hardboiled for crossbows, maybe? That models their range and punch, respectively, but do you see them in a different role?

Also, I'm curious--why have shooting as a combination of Shoot and Might? Hand-to-Hand kits use Brawl +Might for Heavy, but it seems a little odd for range.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 04:34:58 PM »
For "Papyrus Alley" and similar settings, how might shields be represented in Pulp Alley?

We designed some new Weapon Kits a few months ago when we were playing some Barbarian Alley scenarios. Here is what we did for shields --

Shields -- If your kit includes a Shield, you may use ANY of your Brawl or Defend successes to block an enemy success of the same or lower dice-type.

For example, if you are rolling d8s you could use a 4 to block an enemy's 5 if they were rolling a d6 or d8. But you could not use your 4 to block an enemy's 5 if they were rolling d10's. Note, the normal rules for who controls blocking still applies - so if you are the defender and want to block then you must choose the Defend (Dodge) option.

Could crossbows be Single-Shot, Shoot = Ballistic Skill + Might, able to run and shoot while loaded, or would that make them too powerful?

Running and shooting in the same activation is intended to represent shooting-while-running. But I guess it would depend on what style of crossbow you want to represent. Feel free to try it out and let us know what you think.

And, for mighty archers, could they shoot once per turn at Ballistic Skill + Might, when Ready?

I don't think this would be a bad idea to playtest. Maybe it could be a new ability.

HAVE FUN

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 02:16:37 AM »
Thanks, Dangerboy and Dave! Dangerboy, Might would reflect the strength of the archer's draw.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 11:12:39 AM »
'Barbarian Alley'! We want to know more!!!

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 05:41:21 PM »
Shields -- If your kit includes a Shield, you may use ANY of your Brawl or Defend successes to block an enemy success of the same or lower dice-type.
For example, if you are rolling d8s you could use a 4 to block an enemy's 5 if they were rolling a d6 or d8. But you could not use your 4 to block an enemy's 5 if they were rolling d10's. Note, the normal rules for who controls blocking still applies - so if you are the defender and want to block then you must choose the Defend (Dodge) option. 

That has me curious -- most of the weapon kits in Pulp Leagues have some kind of balancing factor to their bonus.  For example, you can't run and shoot with a shotgun or a rifle, can't shoot over 12" with a pistol, etc.  The shield kit as described above is all bonus, and a very significant bonus...is there a downside, like you can't run except to charge, or a shooting restriction?  Seems like there must be, given the bonus it confers.
Thanks,
rags
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 05:43:06 PM by ragsthetiger »

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 11:59:11 PM »
They could be treated as league perks, I suppose. Regardless, and about shields, their use might prevent the use of other, incompatible weapon kits such as heavy weapons, long weapons, and so on.

I wonder if repeating crossbows might be treated like SMGs (relatively-speaking to other weapons for when they were employed), and thrown stones like pistols or short-range weapons?

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 12:31:49 PM »
I wonder if repeating crossbows might be treated like SMGs (relatively-speaking to other weapons for when they were employed)...

I'm doing that in my fantasy campaign. Also, longbows can use the rifle kit, regular crossbows can use shotgun, slings and thrown weapons can use pistol, and so on.  I'm also allowing wizards to use any of the ranged weapon kits to customize their "magic missile" shooting attacks.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 12:36:38 PM by ragsthetiger »

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 04:27:09 AM »
That has me curious -- most of the weapon kits in Pulp Leagues have some kind of balancing factor to their bonus... 

The kits we made for our Barbarian Alley games were different and most of the characters used shields. The kits focused more on class rather than specific weapons, so Shield was included with the Noble and Warrior kits.