Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 09:27:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685077
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Alexander Hamilton's company of Artillery 1776  (Read 1316 times)

Offline B6BosGO

• Librarian
    • Come on, my brave Fusiliers!
Captain Alexander Hamilton's company of Artillery 1776
« on: October 21, 2018, 10:44:03 AM »
Under Hamilton, the New York Provincial Company of Artillery took part in the Battles around New York city and later at White Plains, Trenton, and Princeton.  They played an important role at Trenton, breaking up a counter attack and driving off  the Hessian battalion guns.  According to Princeton University lore, Hamilton’s gunners shot a cannonball through a window of the university’s main building, Nassau Hall, and decapitated a portrait of King George II.

When Hamilton accepted a position on George Washington’s staff in March 1777, command was turned over to Lt. Thomas Thompson, a former sergeant in the unit whom Hamilton had commissioned.

The U.S. Army’s Center of Military History traces the lineage of the New York Provincial Company of Artillery down to the 1st Battalion, 5th Field Artillery, making it one of the oldest active unit in the regular U.S. Army.

Figures for the battery are from Fife and Drum miniatures.

http://bravefusiliers.blogspot.com/2018/10/new-york-provincial-company-of.html

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
Re: Captain Alexander Hamilton's company of Artillery 1776
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 11:43:41 AM »
Very nicely done :-*

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 05:17:27 PM »
I see the gunner on the left of the photo is a man of color. Will you play the soundtrack from "Hamilton'?
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Peter d

• Bookworm
    • The Single Handed Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 03:06:29 AM »
Very nice work. :)
Been playing with toy soldiers since the mid 70s.  Not planning to grow up any time soon.

Offline B6BosGO

• Librarian
    • Come on, my brave Fusiliers!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 03:40:26 PM »
     After reading a Pennsylvania soldiers account of the "disagreeable sight" of blacks and whites together in many New England regiments I felt it was right to add them to my miniature regiments.  This is documented in many New England regiments, southern regiments not so much.  I found a source that there was at least one black soldier in the  artillery company so I added him.

And yes, while painting the battery I did have the Hamilton sound track playing in the background.  Right Now I am painting the Knyphausen regiment so playing the sound track to Barry Lyndon.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 03:53:12 PM »
     And yes, while painting the battery I did have the Hamilton sound track playing in the background.  Right Now I am painting the Knyphausen regiment so playing the sound track to Barry Lyndon.

Cheers!