Forum > General Wargames and Hobby Discussion

Is there a good online gaming experience out there?

(1/1)

sleep when Im lead:
I find myself stuck at home with very little chance to get out. Kids eh? So I have been a wargamer, board gamer and rpger for a long time, in the real world at least.

Recently I have tried a few online games and a few with actual people. Up to this point they have left me wanting. Maybe I have a false expectation but the purely online games lack a bit if depth and the ones involving the people, well they might be a little more...ahem..... more entertaining than I can cope with.

So i was wondering if there was anything out there that an old fart like me might be able to get in to?

Cheers

Fred

Elbows:
The trick is to find a couple of good people you enjoy gaming online with - and play cooperative games.  Skip the overly competitive junk, or the super fast paced stuff.  The Total War franchise for instance allows for cooperative campaigns in some of their better games (namely Shogun II).  However, it's all about finding a friend or two with decent internet and similar evenings off.

I retired from "random people" gaming a while back and it was a life saver.  I haven't played online in a long time, as my online group kinda fell apart as well - but it's great fun with one or two buddies.  Just look up cooperative games.

FionaWhite:

Perhaps I'm being daft (once again) but I'm not sure whether you're looking for online video games or methods for playing tabletop RPGs and/or wargames online with people?  :)

Steam and/or GOG.com offer plenty of videogames for pretty much any preference (a "game" called Tabletop Simulator offers loads of tabletop games translated onto a virtual tabletop) but as Elbows mentions, it's pretty much up to you to find the people you enjoy gaming with. Which is no small task, I know.

Tactalvanic:
Maybe off topic..

https://lichess.org/

depends on whether you play chess to I guess.

Malebolgia:
If you know some people with the Vassal program, it's an excellent tool to recreate tabletop miniature games on your pc. It takes some time to get used to the interface, but once it clicks it's an excellent tool to play some games with people from around the world.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version