Forum > Age of the Big Battalions

Good one volume history of the Peninsular War?

(1/3) > >>

vtsaogames:
I'm reading Glover's "The Peninsular War" which is an account of the British war in the Peninsula with the Spanish appearing when they must to explain how this affected the British-French confrontation. Bailen was breezed over and many other Spanish battles don't even rate a mention.

Can anyone suggest a one-volume history in English that covers the Spanish war also? I know that's a big ask. Don't think I'm up for Oman or Napier yet.

Andrew_McGuire:
The most comprehensive accounts, giving ample space to the Spanish armies and guerillas, seem to be Charles Esdaile's The Peninsular War: A New History and David Gates' The Spanish Ulcer. I've only read part of the former, and not everyone agrees with all of Esdaile's views on the guerillas' effectiveness - or lack thereof -  but either this or Gates' similarly in-depth study would be a good place to start.

wolfkarl:
I will second The Spanish Ulcer. It covers the Spanish army and their part in the war very well.

robh:

--- Quote from: wolfkarl on October 22, 2018, 06:50:28 PM ---I will second The Spanish Ulcer. It covers the Spanish army and their part in the war very well.

--- End quote ---

Agreed, it is the best single volume work. Bit dry in places but well worth reading, has some pictures and plenty of maps. The OOB's are excellent.

vtsaogames:
Thank you, gentlemen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version