Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:18:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689624
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Good one volume history of the Peninsular War?  (Read 1533 times)

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Good one volume history of the Peninsular War?
« on: October 22, 2018, 04:52:05 PM »
I'm reading Glover's "The Peninsular War" which is an account of the British war in the Peninsula with the Spanish appearing when they must to explain how this affected the British-French confrontation. Bailen was breezed over and many other Spanish battles don't even rate a mention.

Can anyone suggest a one-volume history in English that covers the Spanish war also? I know that's a big ask. Don't think I'm up for Oman or Napier yet.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Andrew_McGuire

Re: Good one volume history of the Peninsular War?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 05:39:28 PM »
The most comprehensive accounts, giving ample space to the Spanish armies and guerillas, seem to be Charles Esdaile's The Peninsular War: A New History and David Gates' The Spanish Ulcer. I've only read part of the former, and not everyone agrees with all of Esdaile's views on the guerillas' effectiveness - or lack thereof -  but either this or Gates' similarly in-depth study would be a good place to start.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 03:05:33 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline wolfkarl

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 06:50:28 PM »
I will second The Spanish Ulcer. It covers the Spanish army and their part in the war very well.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 07:14:13 PM »
I will second The Spanish Ulcer. It covers the Spanish army and their part in the war very well.

Agreed, it is the best single volume work. Bit dry in places but well worth reading, has some pictures and plenty of maps. The OOB's are excellent.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 10:30:39 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 04:02:46 AM »
One more question: are the maps in the Spanish Ulcer detailed? I ask because if they are general aids then I might get the Kindle version. But if the maps are really good then I need the actual book.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 11:09:14 AM »
Campaign maps are simple line art showing towns, rivers, coastlines and such.

Battle maps have basic contours, roads, rivers, towns and the location and facing of involved units done in line art with simple grey shading. They show enough information to follow the written account but not to a tabletop battle level.

Kindle version would be fine.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 11:32:46 AM »
Agreed with The Spanish Ulcer. I would read Esdaile after Gates. Esdaile's is revisionist history, with all the problems that it entails. In my opinion, sometimes he forces too much the evidence to fit into his analysis.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 02:07:47 PM »
Again, thank you gentlemen for the timely advice.

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 03:24:47 PM »
I've always been a fan of Jac Weller's one volume history, and was delighted to see it reprinted recently.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." - Richard Adams

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 04:49:59 PM »
Just informed of Oman's Atlas reprinted and on sale: The Oman maps have been reprinted as a separate volume, helps when reading any history.
Ordered mine - the price is right, even after postage across the pond.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 05:09:30 PM »
I didn't mention Weller because, as the title Wellington in the Peninsula suggests, its focus is on Wellesley / Wellington, rather than the conflict as a whole, which is what the original poster enquired about. This isn't to suggest that Weller's book is deficient, as his expressed aim was to show how his subject acted based on the information available to him, which necessarily mandated a narrow focus.

With regard to maps, there is a book titled The Peninsular War Atlas by Nick Lipscombe, which according to reviews on Amazon is excellent, and also covers the activities of the Spanish armies as well as the Anglo-Portuguese.

Offline pete17

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 07:02:49 PM »
Hi,

I picked up this book new for £2.99, WARGAME SCENARIOS: THE PENINSULAR WAR 1808-1814 from here: https://www.naval-military-press.com/product/wargame-scenarios-the-peninsular-war-1808-1814/which has a general overview, lots of info on units, orbats etc.

I don't know much about Napoleonics but can't be vexed with the price, cheers Pete   

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 10:57:55 AM »
Weller's book is a good read, but a bit of a hagiography of Wellington, and as said above, doesn't cover the Spanish at all.
The Oman multi-volume set is available second hand pretty cheap, and has all the detail you could want on the Spanish (and everything else).