Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:32:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gaslands in an awkward 'scale' - need bikes!  (Read 2516 times)

Offline kerrygray8

• Student
Gaslands in an awkward 'scale' - need bikes!
« on: October 24, 2018, 03:29:52 PM »
Hi there,

I had been pondering whether or not to pick up the Gaslands rules, and the sudden discovery of a hidden cache of Micro Machines prompted me to bite the bullet! I have spent the last few weeks modifying Micro Machines cars for Gaslands, but I am having a lot of trouble finding any motorbikes that look the right size next to a Micro Machine.

Now, I know that Micro Machines don't really have a particular / consistent 'scale' (although, on average, it seems to be bigger than 10mm and slightly smaller than 15mm....) so this really just comes down to judging it by eye. I already had a bunch of 15mm sci-fi models, but almost all the 15mm motorbikes I had just looked too big next to a Micro Machine (the only exceptions being 2 ancient Laserburn 'Lawgiver' bikes which are old enough to be closer to 'true' 15mm scale rather than more modern 18mm / heroic 15mm scale).

I found some 10mm Dropzone Commander motorbikes cheap on eBay but they clearly looked too small next to a Micro Machines car.  I also grabbed a few 15mm bikes from GZG's Stargrunt range, but - like most of my other 15mm bikes - they look too big!

So, I may well be on a fruitless quest, but I wonder if anyone can point me towards any motorbike minis that would 'kind of look about right' next to a Micro Machine? Happy to consider WW2, Moderns or Scifi models as - at that size - I can paint / mod them to look suitably Gaslands-y. I guess I'm after something that is rather on the small size for traditional 15mm gaming, like my old Laserburn bikes (so, perhaps some of the older WW2 15mm bikes - e.g. Peter Pig - might look less oversized than some of the more modern / scifi 15mm bikes........?).

If nothing else, feel free to mock me for pursuing a gaming project in such a stupid scale....  ;)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Gaslands in an awkward 'scale' - need bikes!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 09:28:21 AM »
It might be worth checking the model railroad scene for N-scale bikes. I have no idea of they're out there, but considering that figures from that corner are usually not heroically proportioned, they should fit right in the gap between 10mm and 15mm. The vertical size will be about right, but they might appear too slight perhaps because of this...

You might also check AliExpress for motorcycle models in the right scale. The search function is Chinese based and transpations are not always as logical as one would like, but they do often have surprisingly good stuff for very little. You may be in for a lengthy search though... ::)

Another approach might be 3D printing. Check Thingyverse for the right models and find a way to get them printed in the right scale. More expensive and labor intensive, but at least you can tailor the results perfectly to your requirements.
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline kerrygray8

• Student
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 08:56:36 PM »
Ah, great - thanks for some more ideas!

I can now spend another merry 2 hours on Google looking at tiny motorcycles  :D

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 02:34:09 AM »
Rebel Minis makes some Biker guys that might work. I've used them for lots of purposes.

http://www.rebelminis.com/15bigaonmo.html

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." - Richard Adams